Colts Elevate Da'Rick Rogers to the Active Roster

26CornerBlitz

Hey Kirb - your point about talent is more than valid. What is your take on Rodgers not grasping the biggest opportunity of his life?

I think that he is going to end up as a productive NFL player. About 60 catches and 7 TDs a year. I do not buy the notion that cutting him all of a sudden made him grow up and become a better person. I guess that he was just not a good for here and did not mesh with the coaching staff. I have wondered how much the firing of Ike Hilliard had to do with his inability to develop Rogers?

So far everything that has been said out of Indy about him is positive. They say that he comes early and stays late and they love his natural ability. He had a rough game yesterday but he is receiving playing time on a playoff team. I realize that his opportunity came after injuries but the Indy fans think that he will play a lot moving forward.

I thought and still think that he would have filled a role on this team. He was the big, physical athletic WR that we are currently looking for. If we would have kept him we could have used our 1st & 2nd picks on something other than the big, physical WR that I suspect that we draft. In some ways I view keeping him as an extra early draft pick. Obviously he is a bit of a project but certainly no more of a project than Kelvin Benjamin (whom I like a lot).

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree that it does have something to do with the actual player, but the conversation is bigger than that. It's more a discussion of what is the best approach for the Bills to take. Some think the team should prioritize talent and try to work with players with attitudinal issues. Others think the team should prioritize attitude and get rid of people who aren't with the program. It also raises questions of whether you take the guy that helps you win now or the guy that might help you win tomorrow. Da'Rick Rogers is just a real world example people use to illustrate their take on the situation as it pertains to those philosophies..

I'm sure I've said it four times but it's process as much, if not more than results here- especially results from one week. What was special last week wasn't so much a 40 yard catch but the unique high level athleticism he showed. He could wash out ala jasper but I'll still be upset we didn't take a shot at getting a peters to use some of Kirby's examples

Edited by NoSaint

I think that he is going to end up as a productive NFL player. About 60 catches and 7 TDs a year. I do not buy the notion that cutting him all of a sudden made him grow up and become a better person. I guess that he was just not a good for here and did not mesh with the coaching staff. I have wondered how much the firing of Ike Hilliard had to do with his inability to develop Rogers?

Interesting projection. With Reggie Wayne and Dwayne Allen likely being back in lineup next season, will Da'Rick be able to get enough playing time to get that much production ?

Interesting projection. With Reggie Wayne and Dwayne Allen likely being back in lineup next season, will Da'Rick be able to get enough playing time to get that much production ?

They have a great deal of weapons in the passing game. Between injuries and age depth charts are always moving. I believe that he can average 4 catches a week as both he and Luck continue to develop. I do agree though that there is only 1 football to go around.

Maybe he will not develop but it appears that he will get a chance. I don't really care if he turns into a Pro Bowler or if he never catches another ball. All that I care about is that the Bills make the right decisions when building their team. I am so sick of watching everyone else play in the playoffs.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

So far everything that has been said out of Indy about him is positive. They say that he comes early and stays late and they love his natural ability. He had a rough game yesterday but he is receiving playing time on a playoff team. I realize that his opportunity came after injuries but the Indy fans think that he will play a lot moving forward.

I thought and still think that he would have filled a role on this team. He was the big, physical athletic WR that we are currently looking for. If we would have kept him we could have used our 1st & 2nd picks on something other than the big, physical WR that I suspect that we draft. In some ways I view keeping him as an extra early draft pick. Obviously he is a bit of a project but certainly no more of a project than Kelvin Benjamin (whom I like a lot).

It's gonna be hard to get bumped past Griff Whalen and Brazzil on the depth chart. When they "hogan" him with hard work.

I predict 3 tds for the raiders after the colts cut him in 15

It's gonna be hard to get bumped past Griff Whalen and Brazzil on the depth chart. When they "hogan" him with hard work.

I predict 3 tds for the raiders after the colts cut him in 15

If he proves that he can't play then he can't play. The point that I tried to make is that let's be the ones to figure out if he can play. You weren't risking someone that could play to do it. It's the same way that I felt about Mike Jasper.

Ugh. The simpletons are out in full force today. Let's make two separate threads. One for those who want to discuss how the bills should build a roster and the idea of risk v reward.

Then the second can be for the intellectually challenged and impatient and see who screams the loudest or snarkiest about Da Rick being good or not.

Making the argument that the Bills made the right decision because Rogers didn't have a catch or made a couple drops yesterday is like saying global warming doesn't exist because of the Polar Vortex. The conclusion may be right or wrong, the reasoning is significantly flawed.

Making the argument that the Bills made the right decision because Rogers didn't have a catch or made a couple drops yesterday is like saying global warming doesn't exist because of the Polar Vortex. The conclusion may be right or wrong, the reasoning is significantly flawed.

Wait....what? You mean my recent arguments that defend global cooling are flawed?

Da'Rick not getting many snaps last night, IMO, shows that the coaching staff and Luck don't trust him in a big game/at crunch time... for whatever reason, we don't know. I think he has made some nice catches/plays while he has been in previosu games, but it could be his grasp of the route running, how he practiced, etc. I think the Colts will continue to try to develop him because he has shown a lot more for them in actual games then he did for us in TC and PS. I have no idea what all took place between him and the Bills. I would like the Bills to develop talent in the WR corp past what we currently have. But I also am not sure we need to spend our #9 pick on a WR or TE. If you look at the top big WRs in the league, their teams either didn't make the playoffs or exited early. Megatron, Julio Jones (injured, didn't play all year), Larry Fitz, AJ Green, Josh Gordon, Dez Bryant. The Saints barely used their all-world TE yesterday. NE, SD, Indy, Carolina - all have smaller WRs playing. If you look at the Eagle, they have Riley Cooper as that 3rd down/possession WR and DeSean Jackson as the deep threat. They will get Maclin back, another speedster Avant is average. Maybe I am overthinking it, but maybe the Bills work on Moeaki as the TE with Chandler and go OL in the 1st? I think OL is super critical - RT and LG. Then MLB. Take a WR and TE later. It is a very deep WR draft. Just random thoughts that frankly probably should be in another thread. I just don't know if I want to sink a ton of $ into a WR when we have Woods who could emerge as a #1. I think we could maybe use Kaufman as Kirby mentioned in a David Nelson role.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Da'Drop!

Seriously, 57 pages for a guy with less than 200 yards is embarrassing (and I'm proud to be part of it).

The Rogers' supporters are deflecting today. Save the risk/ reward stuff. This was all about Rogers. He wasn't drafted for a reason, didn't work the way an UDFA should, & got cut. Stop blaming coaches for not bowing to a player who didn't give the effort. Hold him accountable.

He is going to be in for a fight to even make the team next year.

Da'Drop!

Seriously, 57 pages for a guy with less than 200 yards is embarrassing (and I'm proud to be part of it).

The Rogers' supporters are deflecting today. Save the risk/ reward stuff. This was all about Rogers. He wasn't drafted for a reason, didn't work the way an UDFA should, & got cut. Stop blaming coaches for not bowing to a player who didn't give the effort. Hold him accountable.

I will bet you any amount that the kid makes the team next year.

Da'Drop!

This.

Look at all these people ready to put the team on blast for how they handled an UDFA who only saw playing time elsewhere due to multiple injuries.

We're talking about a 5th-7th string WR here who thought he was too good to play special teams. There is almost nothing to glean from this regarding how the Bills build a team, or how the front office performs. But there is a lot to take away about Da'Rick's character and effort.

The Bills took a chance on another UDFA not too long ago who, like Da'Rick, was an athletic freak but who, unlike Da'Rick, didn't even have a true position. The Bills were willing to take a chance on him and keep him around, as long as he held up his end of the bargain.

So the Bills took him on as a special project, dedicated extra time from his new position coaches, and brought him along. All the while, this player dug in and did what it took to make an NFL roster. Becoming a star on Special Teams and making the most out of every opportunity he had to take the field.

That player was Jason Peters, who worked his butt off both at his new positions (OL) and on Special Teams. Blocking punts (multiple!), making tackles, blocking on kickoffs, whatever it took to make the team.

And while it didnt work out in the long term with Peters in Buffalo, he has definitely carved himself an impressive NFL career. Let's see if Da'Rick is even on a roster next year...

I will bet you any amount that the kid makes the team next year.

A billion dollars!

Look, I'm not rooting against him. I hate people wasting talent. But I'm rooting against him because of this thread. This thread is all about enabling. Folks need to hold a player accountable. Cris Carter said the best thing that ever happened to him was getting cut by the Eagles.

The reason Tom Brady became great is because he still works like a 6th round pick trying to make the team. Da'Rick (and a bunch of people here) thinks he's Randy Moss. Well he isn't and got himself cut. Him alone.

Marrone's job is to win games. And if it's 3rd and 5 with the game on the line, are you going to trust Rogers would run the right route or run it hard/ correctly? Marrone didn't and he's gone. How can you fault him for that?

For all the weeping and gnashing of teeth going on in this thread, you'd think there was never a highly talented, physically gifted athlete that didn't make it in the NFL. If he signed on first with the Jaguars, this thread would be about six posts long.

Get over it people, and get over yourselves as well. Sheesh!

For all the weeping and gnashing of teeth going on in this thread, you'd think there was never a highly talented, physically gifted athlete that didn't make it in the NFL. If he signed on first with the Jaguars, this thread would be about six posts long.

Get over it people, and get over yourselves as well. Sheesh!

He didn't sign with the Jags though. He plays for a team that makes the playoffs every year. That's the point.

He plays for a team that leads the league in guys on IR. That's more the point.

He plays on a team known for evaluating and finding talented WR's as well as getting the most out of some "lesser" guys. i.e. Harrison, Wayne, Stokley, Garcon, Hilton etc. etc.