TMQ Bills mention

merlin

Today's TMQ columnhas this to say about the Bills:

Sour Play of the Week: A week ago, Bills coaches staged the Single Worst Play of the Season So Far: Facing third-and-goal on the Kansas City 1, with a fourth-stringer at quarterback but a top-rated running attack, Buffalo coaches called a pass that was intercepted and returned the length of the field for a touchdown.

Now it's Buffalo at Pittsburgh, Bills again facing third-and-goal on the 1. This time the quarterback is oft-injured E.J. Manuel, who hadn't played in a month. Rather than run and run again if unsuccessful, Bills coaches called a pass, incomplete, then sent in the field goal unit. The coaches' saying is: Sometimes it's OK to make a mistake; it's never OK to repeat a mistake.

Just to prove it was no fluke, trailing 17-3 in the fourth quarter, fourth-and-5 on the Pittsburgh 36, Bills coach Doug Marrone sent in the punt unit. Punting in opposition territory down two touchdowns in the fourth quarter! Perhaps there is a reason the Bills have eight consecutive losing seasons and are working on the ninth. It took Pittsburgh just four snaps to pass the spot where the ball would have been had Buffalo gone and failed. Bills coaches followed the Single Worst Play of the Season So Far with the worst Preposterous Punt of 2013.

I really want to know why some around here are calling for a new QB...ALREADY. I'm as frustrated as anyone that the season is on the verge of being over in November (again), but EJ has played 5+ games in the NFL. He's looked good and he's looked bad. It's all part of the learning process.

Troy Aikman went 1-15 in his first year. Peyton Manning went 3-13 in his first year. Just because three rookie QBs excelled in their first season last year doesn't mean every rookie QB will do the same. Have patience, people.

I really want to know why some around here are calling for a new QB...ALREADY. I'm as frustrated as anyone that the season is on the verge of being over in November (again), but EJ has played 5+ games in the NFL. He's looked good and he's looked bad. It's all part of the learning process.

Troy Aikman went 1-15 in his first year. Peyton Manning went 3-13 in his first year. Just because three rookie QBs excelled in their first season last year doesn't mean every rookie QB will do the same. Have patience, people.

+112412313254

I'll agree that the punt was an atrocious call - not sure what Marrone was thinking there. Flashbacks of Chan went through my head.

However, regarding the Single Worst Play of the Season, allow me to illustrate what a complete idiot Gregg Easterbrook is. Three plays earlier, that same fourth-stringer at quarterback attempted a pass on second-and-goal on the Kansas City 1. Surely attempting a pass on 2nd down from that distance is a far more ridiculous call than a 3rd down pass. Oh wait a minute! That pass resulted in a PI flag that gave us a fresh set of downs at the 1.

Proof positive that either:

a) he's an idiot that doesn't even watch the full games or

b) he's an idiot that is complaining about the result, rather than play-calling

[quote name=Buffalo W

ings' timestamp='1384285718' post='2974668]

Troy Aikman went 1[/s ][b] 0 [/b]-15 11 in his first year. Peyton Manning went 3-13 in his first year. Just because three rookie QBs excelled in their first season last year doesn't mean every rookie QB will do the same. Have patience, people.

Fixed.

Walsh got the start in that second Skins game. Aikman only QB'd 11 of the L's. Walsh got the other 4 of those as well.

Not a biggie and the point still stands.

The coaching staff called a running play...EJ changed it to the pass.

Giving EJ that leeway sounds like a problem in and of itself. Seems to me, and to everybody else who actually watches him play, he's not experienced and/or not qualified enough to be making those decisions....sad, but true.

and now your take on the 4th and 5?

how about, our defense had a better chance of scoring than our offense? I was actually okay with the call. They couldn't manage a first down all day, why would it change on 4th and 5? try to pin them at the 1 and hope for a good stop. besides, EJ would have dropped back, thrown a 100mph checkdown, swing type pass to FJ, he would have to catch it at his feet, Freddy being Freddy would make a ridiclous play and get 4 amazing yards when any other RB would lose 5 yards.

I really want to know why some around here are calling for a new QB...ALREADY.

I over-reacted to the poorly played game like many others Sunday. I'm routing hard for EJ. Yes he's been a bit disappointing in a few areas. He looks more like an undrafted free agent than he does a 1st rounder...so far. IMHO of course.

I'm not calling for a new QB just yet, but I think if nothing else we need to objectively evaluate EJ in these remaining 6 games. If he doesn't improve then I think there at least has to be a conversation about picking up another one next year. Not necessarily pulling the trigger, but it would have to come up in conversation, and be considered.

[/size]

Giving EJ that leeway sounds like a problem in and of itself. Seems to me, and to everybody else who actually watches him play, he's not experienced and/or not qualified enough to be making those decisions....sad, but true.

and yet, everyone complains that hes unwilling to take his shots.

we will see how it pans out, but i like that they are empowering him to read the defense pre snap. if it doesnt work, so be it - atleast we find out.

and yet, everyone complains that hes unwilling to take his shots.

we will see how it pans out, but i like that they are empowering him to read the defense pre snap. if it doesnt work, so be it - atleast we find out.

You consider throwing the ball 2 yards downfield taking his shots? Two entirely different things, a QB calling an audible is not taking a shot. Throwing the ball downfield could be considered taking a shot. But of course you know that.

You consider throwing the ball 2 yards downfield taking his shots? Two entirely different things, a QB calling an audible is not taking a shot. Throwing the ball downfield could be considered taking a shot. But of course you know that.

opting out of a run play at the goal line is taking a shot in my book. pulling the ball out of someone elses hands and opting to make a play at the endzone himself would be considered taking a shot at the score.

The coaching staff called a running play...EJ changed it to the pass.

2 weeks in a row Coach Marrone has gotten screwed up by a rookie QB changing his call. Can't he tell those guys not to audible out of a run on the goal line?

how about, our defense had a better chance of scoring than our offense? I was actually okay with the call. They couldn't manage a first down all day, why would it change on 4th and 5? try to pin them at the 1 and hope for a good stop. besides, EJ would have dropped back, thrown a 100mph checkdown, swing type pass to FJ, he would have to catch it at his feet, Freddy being Freddy would make a ridiclous play and get 4 amazing yards when any other RB would lose 5 yards.

I don't disagree with this call either. I figured we'd probably go for it at first with going for it on 4th down now being the cool thing to do. But 1st downs had been few and far between. 4th and 5 is a long shot at best the way we were playing. Pin 'em way down there and then get a TO probably had a better chance of happening, even thought it didn't. There was still 11:00 left.

Edited by reddogblitz

Today's TMQ columnhas this to say about the Bills:

Sour Play of the Week: A week ago, Bills coaches staged the Single Worst Play of the Season So Far: Facing third-and-goal on the Kansas City 1, with a fourth-stringer at quarterback but a top-rated running attack, Buffalo coaches called a pass that was intercepted and returned the length of the field for a touchdown.

Now it's Buffalo at Pittsburgh, Bills again facing third-and-goal on the 1. This time the quarterback is oft-injured E.J. Manuel, who hadn't played in a month. Rather than run and run again if unsuccessful, Bills coaches called a pass, incomplete, then sent in the field goal unit. The coaches' saying is: Sometimes it's OK to make a mistake; it's never OK to repeat a mistake.

Just to prove it was no fluke, trailing 17-3 in the fourth quarter, fourth-and-5 on the Pittsburgh 36, Bills coach Doug Marrone sent in the punt unit. Punting in opposition territory down two touchdowns in the fourth quarter! Perhaps there is a reason the Bills have eight consecutive losing seasons and are working on the ninth. It took Pittsburgh just four snaps to pass the spot where the ball would have been had Buffalo gone and failed. Bills coaches followed the Single Worst Play of the Season So Far with the worst Preposterous Punt of 2013.

For those that don't remember, the first ever preposterous punt was by Greggo. Basically same field position and distance, trailing by 20 at home to a Patriots team that was destroying the Bills defense. That was the moment that defined Williams. At that point it was clear he would never, ever make it as a HC. I don't know if I got the same feel from Marrone at this point. I think he has made some awful in-game moves, but they haven't had the effect on me that Wade Phillips then infamous "4th and stupid", GW preposterous punt and Jaurons preposterous punts, clock management etc..