TMQ Bills mention

merlin

Thought Moorman did NOT have a good day on Sunday........when I say where that punt ended up I cringed...the whole idea was to try to pin them inside their 5 and make some magic happen.....

I think the difference between Marrone's punt and the preposterous punts of Williams and Jauron is that Marrone actually had a chance to have his defense stop the Steelers. Those guys punted when they had opposing offenses going thru their defense like sh*t thru a goose. Marrone's decision was too conservative but not truly preposterous when you consider that EJ was playing HORRENDOUS football and the D had a legit chance of making a stop.

For those that don't remember, the first ever preposterous punt was by Greggo. Basically same field position and distance, trailing by 20 at home to a Patriots team that was destroying the Bills defense. That was the moment that defined Williams. At that point it was clear he would never, ever make it as a HC. I don't know if I got the same feel from Marrone at this point. I think he has made some awful in-game moves, but they haven't had the effect on me that Wade Phillips then infamous "4th and stupid", GW preposterous punt and Jaurons preposterous punts, clock management etc..

I agree. Although I'm not ready to throw in the towel on Marrone just yet, he makes several bad in-game decisions each week. This punt was certainly one. The overall red zone play calling certainly qualifies. But, some of the time managment is bad, as well. Prior to the end of the half, we had the ball at about the 45 with1:20ish left (as I recall). It was 3rd and 6. We needed to convert, if for no other reason than just to not give the Steelers another shot with time on the clock.

But, rather than use a time out and make sure the rookie is settled down and the right call is made. They let it go, rush back to the line, and fail on 3rd down, punt and give the ball back to the Steelers after taking about a minute off the clock. Just bad. I agree the players need to execute. But, I contend that the coaching can make that easier by calling a time out and making sure everyone knows what's going on.

Marrone has done some good things with this team. But he's also done some bad things as well. His in-game situational awareness is amateurish. And it's just not improving as the season progresses. Nothing on the offense is improving. It's like he and Hackett developed an offenseive game plan last summer and they're sticking with it, no matter how many defenses slow it down. The offense, as a whole, is stagnating as each successive teams gets more film on it.

Thought Moorman did NOT have a good day on Sunday........when I say where that punt ended up I cringed...the whole idea was to try to pin them inside their 5 and make some magic happen.....

In his defense, Moorman's leg was probsbly getting pretty tired after what.. his 18th punt at that point? ;)

The coaching staff called a running play...EJ changed it to the pass.

That's why these kind of "analyses" are about as useful as TSW...

The INT against KC was a run call as well and Tuel audibled to the pass play. Which was OK because he read the run blitz to the left side. He just phucked up the play.

GO BILLS!!1

I'll agree that the punt was an atrocious call - not sure what Marrone was thinking there. Flashbacks of Chan went through my head.

However, regarding the Single Worst Play of the Season, allow me to illustrate what a complete idiot Gregg Easterbrook is. Three plays earlier, that same fourth-stringer at quarterback attempted a pass on second-and-goal on the Kansas City 1. Surely attempting a pass on 2nd down from that distance is a far more ridiculous call than a 3rd down pass. Oh wait a minute! That pass resulted in a PI flag that gave us a fresh set of downs at the 1.

Proof positive that either:

a) he's an idiot that doesn't even watch the full games or

b) he's an idiot that is complaining about the result, rather than play-calling

You guys are all falling for the trap he blatantly sets for you. He calls himself the Tuesday Morning Quarterback for a reason. Don't you get it?

The coaching staff called a running play...EJ changed it to the pass.

That's why these kind of "analyses" are about as useful as TSW...

Which is sadder still. After the same ineffectual running attack on the goal line the previous 2 weeks?? I'd be much happier with a change at OC than QB.

opting out of a run play at the goal line is taking a shot in my book. pulling the ball out of someone elses hands and opting to make a play at the endzone himself would be considered taking a shot at the score.

You and I really watch two very different games.

I over-reacted to the poorly played game like many others Sunday. I'm routing hard for EJ. Yes he's been a bit disappointing in a few areas. He looks more like an undrafted free agent than he does a 1st rounder...so far. IMHO of course.

I'm not calling for a new QB just yet, but I think if nothing else we need to objectively evaluate EJ in these remaining 6 games. If he doesn't improve then I think there at least has to be a conversation about picking up another one next year. Not necessarily pulling the trigger, but it would have to come up in conversation, and be considered.

I agree with this, but don't want to spend the rest of the year watching him "manage" games while throwing for 110, 120 yards. I want to see this kid throw the ball all over the field. By this I don't mean 35-40 attempts per game, but damn use the whole field. Let's not just play the game in 10 yard chunks all day while praying for. 1st down or defensive penalty.