The Curse of Flutie?

dubs

The question is why was RJ even playing that day when Flutie was the starter practically the entire season? The curse of the Music City Miracle lives on...sad that game was the last for Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas, and Andre Reed in a Bills uniform...

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flutie starts and they win that game, with his mobility. Then, with that defense, they get hot and win it all. After he led that team after their dismal start, the benching made no sense, no matter how mad Philips was at Flutie. He gave Bills best chance to win. This isn't high school. We don't need to be cursed with all of the incompetance in the front office over the past 15 years.

Yes he was.

You still may be correct here. But the Bills would still have lost the game.

I can't.

Seems likely your admitted disdain for flutie is clouding your judgement. It's black and white as to who was the better qb at that or any other point in their careers.

They should apologize to him & us. Benching the guy that led you to a 10-5 record (10-3 the yr before) for an unproven prospect, IN THE !@#$ING PLAYOFFS, is among the dumbest moves made by any NFL franchise ever.

this! …. and yes, the curse is real

Between the "Just give it to em" game vs. the Pats and the following week's blown call Jets vs. Seattle (Vinny T sneak that was not a TD….ruled a TD), the 98/99 Bills suffered a double whammy 2 game divisional swing courtesy of the refs. Cost us the division + AT LEAST one home playoff game that year. Wildcard away at Mia suddenly becomes bye week and home at the Ralph.

It's a joke that people on this board can still find fault with the last WINNER we had at QB.

shame he didn't come up in the read option era……he would dominate.

Between the "Just give it to em" game vs. the Pats and the following week's blown call Jets vs. Seattle (Vinny T sneak that was not a TD….ruled a TD), the 98/99 Bills suffered a double whammy 2 game divisional swing courtesy of the refs. Cost us the division + AT LEAST one home playoff game that year. Wildcard away at Mia suddenly becomes bye week and home at the Ralph.

It's a joke that people on this board can still find fault with the last WINNER we had at QB.

shame he didn't come up in the read option era……he would dominate.

Fwiw I don't disagree that he was the right guy in 98 and I agree with your post. I am not arguing about the "moral" aspects of benching him in 99. He just sucked in 99 and that team won the games it did due to the D.

And for those saying "he was just a winner" I am wondering why you aren't begging for the Bills to pick up Tebow.

Edited by 4merper4mer

Fwiw I don't disagree that he was the right guy in 98 and I agree with your post. I am not arguing about the "moral" aspects of benching him in 99. He just sucked in 99 and that team won the games it did due to the D.

And for those saying "he was just a winner" I am wondering why you aren't begging for the Bills to pick up Tebow.

Maybe it's your style and if so then I get it.

No one knows what would have happened if Flutie played in that game. We can speculate. Most I think would agree we probably have a better chance to win the game. You don't. That's cool. But when you position things as an absolute and state speculation as fact, that's when you lose me.

Also, what does Tebow have to do with the 1999 Buffalo Bills?

Please stop. The most significant thing the guy did in Buffalo was roll out Flutie Flakes.

He was as important to Bills franchise history as Alex can Pelt.

He Dilfered some wins riding a phenom defense and that's it.

There is no curse, the guy connected on a Hail Mary in college... That's it.

Please stop. The most significant thing the guy did in Buffalo was roll out Flutie Flakes.

I think he was an important figure for the team. I only take issue when people say we would have somehow won if he were in there, or that we can't know. Baloney. He stunk at that point every week against far lesser teams than the Titans.

I think he was an important figure for the team. I only take issue when people say we would have somehow won if he were in there, or that we can't know. Baloney. He stunk at that point every week against far lesser teams than the Titans.

Flutie Flutie Flutie Flutie Flutie.

Flutie, flu, tie. Flutie! Flutie, Flutie flu. Tie. Flutie.

Like I said in many posts already. I think the Bills had a formula that was successful for them. It worked pretty well the previous couple years. That year they had the best defense in the nfl and an offense that played well enough to win 11 games. At that point in the year you don't change something that was working well especially at the most critical position.

In other words, I think his play was decent and fit better with the Bills.

The Ravens had the same thing with Dilfer. He wasn't the best QB but he was a perfect fit for that team. It was a power run and play defense team, which is more or less what the Bills were doing then, and Dilfer, like Flutie, did what they needed from him, and late in the 4th, with the game on the line, they'd come through more often than not. Baltimore tinkered with that and paid the price. So'd the Bills.

I was no Flutie fan...Did not like the guy at all...

But I believe in the curse...It's the only logical explanation... ;)

haha…that's the kind of response I was looking for when I posted this. Hilarious and honestly I would definitely be at that game if we did that.

Flutie Day 2014. Ralph needs to apologize before it's too late.

:thumbsup:

If Flutie started we'd have blown the Titans out. Flutie had been struggling with tendonitis late in the season which took some of the zip of his passes. He took the last game of the season off to let it heal up so he'd be 100%. Since we almost won with Rob Johnson, who is a loser that sucks ass, and because quarterbacks have a lot to do with winning, it's clear that if we had a quarterback who was awesome instead, like Flutie, the Bills would have dispensed with the Titans handily, and the whole course of Steve McNair's life would have been altered.

I don't believe in curses... We expect elite performance from mediocre players. We need elite players. Out of 53 players on the team, the ones among the elite I would say are,

1. Mario Williams

2. Kyle Williams

3. Stephon Gilmore (don't let his last game think he isn't)

4. Kiko Alonso (so far)

5. Fred Jackson

6. Cordy Glenn

7. Eric Wood

Above average are

1. Manny Lawson

2. Marcell Dareus (Because of Pettine)

3. Aaron Williams (at safety and also because of Pettine)

4. McKelvin (because of Pettine)

5. C.J. Spiller

6. Robert Woods

7. Stevie Johnson

Let's say each "above average" player counts as half of an elite player. That would make the above average players total in elite status at 3.5 elite players. Plus the 7 I've counted, that's 10.5 elite players. If we can get that number to 15, I think then we may have a shot at being a great football team.

By the way, my definition of elite is not like a Drew Brees or a Brady or Peyton. Those to me are Hall of Famers. I count my elite players as someone who I would never want to get rid of.

I think to get the other 4.5 elite players we will need one at LB, one at DE, one at CB, one at TE an above average lineman and an above average QB.

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

Ok, I'll ask one more time. I promise I'll never ask this again on this website: Why was Flutie somehow a cancer or a backstabbing midget or a negative influence in the locker room.

Regardless of the quality of his play, why do some fans hold such a grudge against the guy? If I had to pick a Bills QB to hate in the post Kelly era, I could name about 8 guys above Flutie.

I don't know if he was a backstabbing midget or how the team liked him in the locker room I just remember him never taking responsibility for the offenses poor showings (or his poor showings.) He seemed to always have an excuse and sometimes blamed it on others. I'm not going to go back into the archives and look up specific instances but I remember being annoyed at him on countless occasions for doing so. It's the exact thing a team leader doesn't do and it turned me off of him pretty much from the beginning.

This is simply false. Look at the stats in the Bills final 8 games. In the seven he played in, his performance actually improved quite a bit over the the numbers he put up in the first half of the season. He had an 86.1 qb rating in those seven games, and the Bills went 5-2 in that stretch.

Stop the madness.

Edited by dave mcbride

The team looked so unorganized whenever Johnson was in there. He wasn't even as good as Tuel. Flutie would come into a game and all of a sudden they would look like a playoff team. The OL would settle down, the players would have a renewed confidence, and they would kick some butt.