A contrarian view

BuffaloBill

The positives from this season:

- We have a real defensive staff. This D could be something special if we get people healthy.

- There are no glaring player needs on the defensive side of the ball.

- Kiko may prove to be the steal of the draft.

- The O-line is not far from being very solid. LG remains a question.

- Woods looks to be the real deal as a WR. He needs more game time to mature. He looks to have potential as a very solid possession receiver.

- Marrone looks to have a grip on the team. A lot will be said relative to how hard this team plays over the balance of the season.

There are things to build on for next year.

Despite the clunker yesterday, I think it's safe to say the team is moving in the right direction. We have 3 rookie QBs, so it's a lot to ask of the offense.

I thought in the Cleveland game it looked like EJ and the O were making a big step forward, then the injury. I'd like to see them win as many as possible of the remaining games, and hope he stays healthy.

Totally agree with all of that, your view might be contrarian for this board but I think there's a whole lot Bills fans in general that feel this way. I would also mention that Goodwin has the hands and instincts, not to mention world-class speed, to be an awesome WR.

Clunkers like yesterday happen to teams that are learning like the bills. A rookie QB being the biggest contributor but also inexperience throughout the team in several positions. This team needs to find the franchise QB, Manuel or somebody else, and another good draft/free agency or two before it is ready to really contend on a weekly basis. But it is closer than it was last year.

- We have a real defensive staff. This D could be something special if we get people healthy.

- Woods looks to be the real deal as a WR. He needs more game time to mature. He looks to have potential as a very solid possession receiver.

- Marrone looks to have a grip on the team. A lot will be said relative to how hard this team plays over the balance of the season.

While we have a better Defensive staff, we still are weak at LB and need another stud there. Our CB's are suspect.

Woods looks like a nice WR and Goodwin is a good looking speed guy. We have a serious lack of size at WR and need a playmaker there. Our TE"s fall short in this area as well. There are thinks to build on, but maybe too many expected too much too soon. Our LG and RT are suspect and get beat a lot.

There is no room for rational football analysis in this lynch mob! Don't you understand this is Ralph's fault??

This team is a QB away from a playoff run. And I'm not talking about a top-5 QB like Brees or Rodgers, just someone who's slightly above average. The bad news is that it's proving difficult to find that guy.

This is a better perspective than the doom and gloom that pervades all too many posts around here.

If you don't focus on QB, there can be no doom and gloom. Mild frustration at times in spots. Also some good moments, more than is usual for sure. But not doom and gloom. If you focus on QB...well...

Edited by SameOldBills

The Bills could literally win the Super Bowl with this defense. Like for instance, if the Broncos had the Bills' defense, they'd still be Super Bowl contenders. In fact, the Bills defense is better than the Broncos. Sure they could use a LB, but it's far from an emergency. As far as the offense, for years, the Bills were unable to have a QB put up real, actual NFL stat lines. Like a real stat line would be: 22-34, 287 yds, 2 TD's, 1 int. They didn't have that between Bledsoe and Fitzpatrick. Edwards would be 20-30, 139 yds, 1 TD, 1 int. Along with real, actual NFL QB stat lines comes the ability to hit your WR's down the field. Not bombs per se- Losman threw a fine deep ball- but 20 yard outs. Fitzpatrick could do that. What I fear with Manuel is that we are regressing to the checkdown/low yards per attempt/inability to hit WR's downfield type of QB play.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

The Bills could literally win the Super Bowl with this defense. Like for instance, if the Broncos had the Bills' defense, they'd still be Super Bowl contenders. In fact, the Bills defense is better than the Broncos. Sure they could use a LB, but it's far from an emergency. As far as the offense, for years, the Bills were unable to have a QB put up real, actual NFL stat lines. Like a real stat line would be: 22-34, 287 yds, 2 TD's, 1 int. They didn't have that between Bledsoe and Fitzpatrick. Edwards would be 20-30, 139 yds, 1 TD, 1 int. Along with real, actual NFL QB stat lines comes the ability to hit your WR's down the field. Not bombs per se- Losman threw a fine deep ball- but 20 yard outs. Fitzpatrick could do that. What I fear with Manuel is that we are regressing to the checkdown/low yards per attempt/inability to hit WR's downfield type of QB play.

There is no way the Bills could win the Superbowl with this defense. They give up way to many 3rd downs, give up huge passing plays, and don't shut down the run even vs mediocre backs. They just don't impose their will on teams during crunch time very often. The overrating of the Bills personnel continues...

I agree, now all we need is a quarterback or for EJ to become one, he looked aweful yesterday as everybody knows...i hope he gets better week to week to week, that is all...Go Bills

PS Man Boooooooooooo el T Shirts are now on sale!

There is no way the Bills could win the Superbowl with this defense. They give up way to many 3rd downs, give up huge passing plays, and don't shut down the run even vs mediocre backs. They just don't impose their will on teams during crunch time very often. The overrating of the Bills personnel continues...

They could if they had Peyton manning....as the OP said. With this offense.....we have no chance. With this defense, we do. Our offense <<<<< our defense

Woods is a solid #2 WR. So is Stevie. They are far away from Calvin Johnson, Dez, or Fitzgerald.

Kiko had a great start. I hope he continues to play well but he is smaller than most middle linebackers.

No glaring needs on defense? There is no traditional run stuffing strong safety with any talent. Hughes is soft against the run. Lawson is not much of a pass rusher. DE opposite Mario is a mess unless Dareus moves out to DE.

Both guard positions and RT are average at best. Solid is fair to say and Glenn looks like he can be All-pro.

They could if they had Peyton manning....as the OP said. With this offense.....we have no chance. With this defense, we do. Our offense <<<<< our defense

OK Peyton Manning could cover up a lot of warts. They score almost at will and you get to tee of on OL's after awhile. But Peyton Manning? I just want a good starting NFL QB. I doubt we find a Peyton Manning caliber player anytime soon if ever...gotta be realistic. It ls probably easier to assemble a Super Bowl capable Defense than to find a Peyton I'm afraid. Can't just go to the top 5 alltime NFL QB shop and pick 'em up....

If there's one thing I've learned from this board, it's we're always going to be good next year. Cue Annie singing tomorrow.

Well guess what...at some point that will be true.