A contrarian view

BuffaloBill

There is no way the Bills could win the Superbowl with this defense. They give up way to many 3rd downs, give up huge passing plays, and don't shut down the run even vs mediocre backs. They just don't impose their will on teams during crunch time very often. The overrating of the Bills personnel continues...

You misunderstood my point. I'm not saying that the Bills defense alone is good enough to win a Super Bowl. Of course it isn't. My point is that if the Saints or the Broncos had the Bills defense, they could win a Super Bowl. I live in Denver, the Broncos defense blows. Whereas even if the Bills had the 85 Bears defense, they could not win a Super Bowl with this offense. Look at the Colts defense when they won it and the Saints the year they won it. Nothing special. In fact, not as good as the 2013 Bills defense. For whatever that's worth.

The positives from this season:

- We have a real defensive staff. This D could be something special if we get people healthy.

- There are no glaring player needs on the defensive side of the ball.

- Kiko may prove to be the steal of the draft.

- The O-line is not far from being very solid. LG remains a question.

- Woods looks to be the real deal as a WR. He needs more game time to mature. He looks to have potential as a very solid possession receiver.

- Marrone looks to have a grip on the team. A lot will be said relative to how hard this team plays over the balance of the season.

There are things to build on for next year.

Whatever, they still don't have a quality NFL starting QB yet. Maybe by year end. We shall see.

- We have a real defensive staff. This D could be something special if we get people healthy.

- There are no glaring player needs on the defensive side of the ball.

- Kiko may prove to be the steal of the draft.

- The O-line is not far from being very solid. LG remains a question.

- Woods looks to be the real deal as a WR. He needs more game time to mature. He looks to have potential as a very solid possession receiver.

- Marrone looks to have a grip on the team. A lot will be said relative to how hard this team plays over the balance of the season.

Yea. I agree but once again it's not even December yet and they will be mailing it in for the rest of the season.

The Bills could literally win the Super Bowl with this defense. Like for instance, if the Broncos had the Bills' defense, they'd still be Super Bowl contenders.

While that may be true the defense still under performs and they no longer have any injury excuses. At least with the offense we know that the young QBs and young WRs are going to struggle with the transition to the pro game in addition to getting their timing down because they're new to each other.

This is why I don't get the posters who blast the offense and defend the defense. Yeah, we know the offense sucks and while I don't like it, I understand it. The D should be picking this team up and putting it on its back but they don't. They falter time and time again, particularly in crunch time. My expectations for this defense are much higher than the offense and they've disappointed. It seems most posters here are simply happy it's better than the garbage Wannstedt put on the field last year.

It's tough to say the Bills do not have a QB right now. It's too early to come to any conclusion on Manual yet, especially with him missing 2 weeks of training camp and ~4 weeks of the season. Bills fans should have recognized he wasn't Andrew Luck , but I believe he can be a god NFL B-- top 1/2 of the league if given some experience. The Bills need help n the O-Line, Tight End and cornerback. QB is far down the line.

It's tough to say the Bills do not have a QB right now. It's too early to come to any conclusion on Manual yet, especially with him missing 2 weeks of training camp and ~4 weeks of the season. Bills fans should have recognized he wasn't Andrew Luck , but I believe he can be a god NFL B-- top 1/2 of the league if given some experience. The Bills need help n the O-Line, Tight End and cornerback. QB is far down the line.

You just said it. EJ isn't an NFL QB right now. He may become one some day, but for now he isn't doing the job.

The D should be picking this team up and putting it on its back but they don't.

I know everyone remembers EJ's late drive against Carolina, but the D won that game, specifically Mario. And 2 weeks later the D intercepted Flacco 5 times. The D single-handedly won the Miami game for us, and our D held the Chiefs to 3 field goals and 200 yards despite our offense shooting itself in the foot.

Yeah, the Saints racked up some yards on us, that's going to happen in the Superdome. And yes, the entire team didn't show up in Pittsburgh. But the defense is responsible for our 3 wins, and that total would be double with an offense that isn't completely inept. They aren't the 85 Bears, but I don't see how you can ask them to pick the team up any more?

I know everyone remembers EJ's late drive against Carolina, but the D won that game, specifically Mario. And 2 weeks later the D intercepted Flacco 5 times. The D single-handedly won the Miami game for us, and our D held the Chiefs to 3 field goals and 200 yards despite our offense shooting itself in the foot.

Yeah, the Saints racked up some yards on us, that's going to happen in the Superdome. And yes, the entire team didn't show up in Pittsburgh. But the defense is responsible for our 3 wins, and that total would be double with an offense that isn't completely inept. They aren't the 85 Bears, but I don't see how you can ask them to pick the team up any more?

Agreed.

- We have a real defensive staff. This D could be something special if we get people healthy. This D could be adequate if the offense could keep them off the field. It is much more exciting than past defenses but not near special.

- There are no glaring player needs on the defensive side of the ball. Other then DB, Safety and LB

- Kiko may prove to be the steal of the draft. Kiko is very good but not a dominant player

- The O-line is not far from being very solid. LG remains a question. It gets dominated in away games, decent in home games.

- Woods looks to be the real deal as a WR. He needs more game time to mature. He looks to have potential as a very solid possession receiver. He looks like a capable #2 or 3, QB is his problem.

- Marrone looks to have a grip on the team. A lot will be said relative to how hard this team plays over the balance of the season. Marone is a rookie coach and has cost this team a lot. When Hackett gets out of diapers he may become a good High School coach.

There is no room for rational football analysis in this lynch mob! Don't you understand this is Ralph's fault??

This team is a QB away from a playoff run. And I'm not talking about a top-5 QB like Brees or Rodgers, just someone who's slightly above average. The bad news is that it's proving difficult to find that guy.

Agreed. the hope for finding a slightly above average QB will be if someone like Dalton or Eli Manning becomes available. But I say draft a QB 1st round.

The Bills could literally win the Super Bowl with this defense. Like for instance, if the Broncos had the Bills' defense, they'd still be Super Bowl contenders. In fact, the Bills defense is better than the Broncos. Sure they could use a LB, but it's far from an emergency. As far as the offense, for years, the Bills were unable to have a QB put up real, actual NFL stat lines. Like a real stat line would be: 22-34, 287 yds, 2 TD's, 1 int. They didn't have that between Bledsoe and Fitzpatrick. Edwards would be 20-30, 139 yds, 1 TD, 1 int. Along with real, actual NFL QB stat lines comes the ability to hit your WR's down the field. Not bombs per se- Losman threw a fine deep ball- but 20 yard outs. Fitzpatrick could do that. What I fear with Manuel is that we are regressing to the checkdown/low yards per attempt/inability to hit WR's downfield type of QB play.

I 100% agree. And the fact that the O leaves them on the field way too long is hurting them. Imagine how good they would be with proper rest inbetween series instead of the 3-6 and outs.

While we have a better Defensive staff, we still are weak at LB and need another stud there. Our CB's are suspect.

Woods looks like a nice WR and Goodwin is a good looking speed guy. We have a serious lack of size at WR and need a playmaker there. Our TE"s fall short in this area as well. There are thinks to build on, but maybe too many expected too much too soon. Our LG and RT are suspect and get beat a lot.

I agree w your analysis. The Defense has improved from atrocious last year to mediocre this year.. (Having a horrendous offense puts way too much pressure on the D, and they wear down by the end of games) I like our D line this year, but Mario still plays way too inconsistently. He is not a high motor guy that just wears down opposing tackles play after play. But overall he is better than last year. We most def need another stud at LB. Motes and Bradham bring nothing to the table, and will be out of the league shortly. Both should be replaced. Our corners are also marginal at best. Gilmore has regressed and does not have the quickness or instincts to be a shutdown corner. Leodis has his moments, and has way more athleticsm than Gilmore, but just does not have the skill set to be a #1 corner. I would move Gilmore to safety, and play him w Byrd and Aaron Williams next season. I would spend big money on a starting corner, and draft one as well. You can not win in the NFL consistently with players like Gilmore covering on the outside. He just doesn't have it. On offense we HAVE TO GET a big WR and a TE who can run. That is the big problem. The O line needs a right tackle. Pears is a backup. I think Legursky can play. Reminds me of Jim Ritcher. The problem is with no passing game, teams are crowding the line and there is no place to run. I actually think the O line has been serviceable and can be excellent w a new RT and some depth in the middle. But the big issue is QB. I think we can argue that overall we have had possibly the WORST QB play in the league this year. Manuel looks lost. His mechanics are horrific. And worse than all that is he looks scared.. And he plays with absolutely no passion or emotion. What we saw to draft him in any round is beyond me. The Offense looked catatonic w him under center. They look much more stimulated w Thad and even w Tuel. Something is seriously amiss there. I will be shocked if he has even a decent game against the Jets. I very much doubt he is the starter next season. Even w a guy like Mike Glennon you see potential to make plays. I seriously have not seen that from EJ at all. He looks like he just doesn't want to be out there. The next six games are important for the team to get confidence that Marrone can lead them from the abyss. But this offseason will be huge if this team is going to take the next step with Marrone and Whaley. The QB position will have to be addressed. Right now, the guy with the most upside is Thad Lewis in my humble opinion.

Another solid OLB is a high need, another good cover CB is a need

A good, fast, tall WR is an absolute MUST

A pass catching TE is a MUST

Building Offensive line depth, starting with OG as you stated, is priority

But centered around all these things....the QB. Jury is still out and how he finishes this season, will largely determine where this Franchise finds itself in the NFL over the next 5 years...re-building AGAIN or in the hunt for a playoff spot consistently year in and year out...

I really enjoy watching our defense play. Problem is I get way to much opportunity to do so. If we can only get some qb play. EJ has to get a long look because he a #1 pick. What worries me is even on little check down dump offs he is throwing them behind or at a receivers feet. That 3rd and goal over throw to SJ was really bad. This makes me think that this guy is going to be a bust. These are just thoughts creeping into the back of my mind. I really hope it's just ring rust but I'm getting nervous. Anyway, if our offense even became average that would make our D that much better as they spend less time on the field. I thought they looked pretty damn good against the Steelers.

Edited by Dante

I really enjoy watching our defense play. Problem is I get way to much opportunity to do so. If we can only get some qb play. EJ has to get a long look because he a #1 pick. What worries me is even on little check down dump offs he is throwing them behind or at a receivers feet. That 3rd and goal over throw to SJ was really bad. This makes me think that this guy is going to be a bust. These are just thoughts creeping into the back of my mind. I really hope it's just ring rust but I'm getting nervous. Anyway, if our offense even became average that would make our D that much better as they spend less time on the field. I thought they looked pretty damn good against the Steelers.

You should know better. Be careful what you wish for.

I need to see more creativity with the offensive game plan.