CJ Spiller

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't have a back getting negative or no yardage so often in a close game. Everyone knows he's capable of breaking a big one, but that's not always enough when it's close and teams are clamping down on the run because they know you can't pass. Jackson is a better option right now, which tells me a lot about how this new coaching staff feels about Buddy's first draft pick from the last (failed) rebuild.

I said another thread that the league has him figured out. He will run wide

and out of bounds preferably to the left. The defenses are prepared for that

and his speed can!t compensate for it.

As for his ankle I believe was it Parcells who said if you are healthy enough

to put on a uniform and play, then perform.

You can't have a back getting negative or no yardage so often in a close game. Everyone knows he's capable of breaking a big one, but that's not always enough when it's close and teams are clamping down on the run because they know you can't pass. Jackson is a better option right now, which tells me a lot about how this new coaching staff feels about Buddy's first draft pick from the last (failed) rebuild.

I'll take Spiller on the field over Jackson. Neither were good yesterday. Jackson's numbers are better but the offense was pathetic. Punting inside the 40 is a quit play call by Marrone.

Compared to how the two most recent 1st rd picks played Spiller was a star. Gilmore was horrible.

I'll take Spiller on the field over Jackson. Neither were good yesterday. Jackson's numbers are better but the offense was pathetic. Punting inside the 40 is a quit play call by Marrone.

Compared to how the two most recent 1st rd picks played Spiller was a star. Gilmore was horrible.

I'm not going to re-hash my arguments against taking Spiller. He's made some plays and while injured as well, like the Cleveland run.

And no, Marrone/Hackett/Manuel did the running game no favors by not providing an option. Jackson seemed to fight for every yard, but he typically doesn't go down on first contact. Spiller tends to do just that and doesn't get the extra yard given his frame. Speed is nice, but I'll take a healthy and slower Jackson in those circumstances.

I'm not going to re-hash my arguments against taking Spiller. He's made some plays and while injured as well, like the Cleveland run.

And no, Marrone/Hackett/Manuel did the running game no favors by not providing an option. Jackson seemed to fight for every yard, but he typically doesn't go down on first contact. Spiller tends to do just that and doesn't get the extra yard given his frame. Speed is nice, but I'll take a healthy and slower Jackson in those circumstances.

Spiller is average more YPC than Jackson. So if he's not "fighting for the extra yard," he's still getting it.

Re hashing drafting CJ is pointless, but if they can't find a spot in that offense for him I don't get it. Many have said it, put FJ and CJ in the backfield and put one in motion. Of course as I've said b4, I'm a accountant not a FB coach! B-)

With both of them they still find carries for Tashard Choice which blows my mind.

People are too funny and too stupid to remember history. Does anyone remember the name of the running back that was caught in the backfield for negative yards more than any other in the history of the NFL? His name was Barry Sanders. You still give a guy like that carries. When you don't get a guy like that more touches, he's not going to be as productive and have those breakout games. Spiller is the same. 8 carries for him and 12 for Jackson when it's too windy to go downfield in the air? Yet you give Manuel 39 pass attempts? The stupidity of the offensive play calling is mind boggling.

Isn't it funny how last year the complaint was that he wasn't being used ENOUGH??? Chan was a poor HC and an OC at heart, but he did a much better job at of utilizing Fred and CJ and calling the right plays for them to be productive. Last year at this time he was one of the most feared backs in the league.

People are too funny and too stupid to remember history. Does anyone remember the name of the running back that was caught in the backfield for negative yards more than any other in the history of the NFL? His name was Barry Sanders. You still give a guy like that carries. When you don't get a guy like that more touches, he's not going to be as productive and have those breakout games. Spiller is the same. 8 carries for him and 12 for Jackson when it's too windy to go downfield in the air? Yet you give Manuel 39 pass attempts? The stupidity of the offensive play calling is mind boggling.

OMG now Spiller is Barry Sanders. :rolleyes:

Isn't it funny how last year the complaint was that he wasn't being used ENOUGH??? Chan was a poor HC and an OC at heart, but he did a much better job at of utilizing Fred and CJ and calling the right plays for them to be productive. Last year at this time he was one of the most feared backs in the league.

There's an easy explanation here too. D.M. has already said that they run the same offense regardless of whether Freddy or CJ is in. They basically don't call different plays, regardless of the player that's taking the field and see them as interchangeable. Hearing that is a head scratcher to say the least. Why would you not change up your game plan depending on the talent you put on the field? If you have a running back that's good in pass blocking (Freddy), do you still put CJ in on a passing play just because it's his "turn"? Stupifying.

You're obviously missing the point here a little bit. What I'm trying to get at is that Spiller is an electrifying player. He's not a plod ahead for 4 YPC and move the pile kind of guy. He was productive last year because he got touches. Sure, he had is no gainers and 1-2 yarders here and there, but he makes his hay on big plays. Carrying the ball 200+ times and averaging 6.0 YPC was all the big runs.

Anyone who watched the game yesterday knows exactly why Spiller didn't get more carries. Everytime he touched the ball, he ran laterally and wound up getting virtually no positive yards. At least Fred was plowing ahead for 3 or 4 yards a pop. The problem is that the Steelers loaded up on the run with 8 or 9 guys in the box, and EJ Manuel was unable to get them to back off by completing (or hardly even attempting) any downfield passes.

I have been as annoyed with the often unimaginative play calling by Hackett as anyone, by I really think yesterday his hands were tied by a rusty and inexperienced rookie QB going up agianst a really good pass defense that was playing for pride after having been humilated the week before.

I got a kick out of how many Bills fans in the forum yesterday were calling for Manuel to be cut and for the Bills to invest a first round pick in April on a different QB. Guess what? Rookie QBs sometimes struggle. Heck, even veteran QBs sometimes struggle. Big Ben did not play much better. Cam Newton, Kaepernick, Romo all played poorly yesterday too. Guess what? Manuel will probably struggle again next week against another stout defense (the Jets). But eventually, he will get a shot at some softer competition -- and we will have 6 more games to see whether or not he evolves and gets better -- or if the gloom-and-doom crowd will be more happy to tell as at season's end that they were "right" than that our team may actually have a potential franchise QB.

spiller is very much like sanders. very all or nothing. sanders was less of a football player than OJ because OJ could pound it.Sanders was spectacular but he would OFTEN get stopped in the backfield for losses or small gains. CJ is the best open field runner in the game right now. barry was among the top of his era.