Digging Deep - why do you remain a fan of this franchise?

BuffaloBill

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My family moved from Buffalo to Syracuse when I was 10 years old, and I was just starting to get interested in pro sports. Kids in my new school would mock me for rooting for those losers from Buffalo. I took it as a challenge that I'd show them I was right. Plus I couldn't imagine how people could root for a team like Dallas or Miami that they had no relation to other than them being good at the time. They weren't real fans like I was.

It's become part of who I am, I couldn't stop if I wanted to. Now I've passed it on to my son, and unfortunately he now experiences the same disappointment with the Bills and Sabres. At least he didn't have to experience the loss of the Braves.

I can't just watch football and enjoy it like I do the Bills. I can't cheer for a team like I do the Bills. Not one other team can keep my attention like they can. I can watch thousands of hours of football really like the way that team plays but not care if they win or lose. The only team I can care about is the Bills.

Born in Buffalo, still have the program of the first game I can remember attending (1962 game against Denver), sat in the stands in freezing weather watching the Bills lose to the Pats in the 1963 playoff game, the last real game I attended in Buffalo. Watching the Bills be so inept over the past 14 years is hard. It's like watching a child who has turned bad, perhaps like an addict that keeps going to rehab and you hope he is better this time, only to see them slip back into the same mistakes. Gotta keep loving them though.

! I'm not even putting a quarter of the effort in cheering for this team....

I just don't care anymore...I've got better things to do in my life then Bills football...I will always love them but...they are not worth my time nor effort...

What effort goes into watching a game? I mean this seriously?

As bad as they are , I am already dreading we only have 6 games left..even if they don't mean anything i love watching/going to the games

After the last two games. I don't know. I haven't felt this ****ty about the Bills since the end of the Mauron era.

Sometimes I wish they would just move to LA so I could be done with the constant abuse of their fan base.

I'm sure I'll be back but I need to try and take a few weeks off. I don't see why I can't since the Bills took last week off too.

I started rooting for the Bills in the late 70s when the Bills sucked. The Steelers were in the middle of winning their 4 Super Bowls and my brother had become a fan. Even as a little kid I thought that sucked. He wasn't from Pittsburgh (we were living in the LA area at the time) and he was only rooting for them because they won. So I asked him and my Grandfather who the worst team in the NFL was and they both said, "the Bills." I wasn't a football fan at the time (I was only 5-6) but I decided that the Bills would be the team I rooted for just to show my brother that the team didn't have to win to be a fan.

Of course, now I'm stuck with this cursed franchise but there's no way I'm not going to abandon them because they lose when that's the very reason I started rooting for them. Sometimes you get what you ask for...

This has to be the funniest path to Bills fandom that I have read. Cheers to you my fellow suffering friend :beer:

What effort goes into watching a game? I mean this seriously?

As bad as they are , I am already dreading we only have 6 games left..even if they don't mean anything i love watching/going to the games

By effort....I mean cheering them on...finding a bar to go to and watch the games....by finding babysitters to go to live games to cheer for them...

As a child I really loved the game of football, but I didn't have a team that I cheered for. I would cheer for who was winning or the helmet that I liked the most.

I was actually a Dolphins fan for a few years. Like I said, I was a child, so give me a break.

Being born and raised in San Jose, and throughout the 80's I never embraced the 49'ers. I guess I wanted to show that I could cheer for a team that I chose, instead of cheering for the home team, because it's what your supposed to do.

In the mid 80's, Jim Kelly joined the Bills. I remember seeing Kelly in college, and liking him as a player. So I started following the Bills as well as I could. There was no DirecTv back then, so seeing Bills games on the west coast was a rarity.

As time went on, I became a fan, and throughout the Super Bowl losses, and the inept coaches, I have remained a loyal fan and will remain so.

I will never be abandon the Bills, and become a bandwagon jumper of another team. Yesterday's game was a very sickening experience, but I still stay with them. No matter what.

Edited by Mark Vader

No doubt that the results of the game yesterday and this season generally likely killed any slim hopes that the Bills have escaped yet another rebuilding year. I ask a question seriously and not with any contempt for the organization or it's fans - what keeps you coming back?

For me the Bills tie me back to the "homeland." I've lived away from B-Lo and WNY since graduation from college. I miss many aspects of life back there and the Bills are my "connection." It is cool to me to meet anyone from WNY anywhere in the world and you can nearly always connect through talk about the Bills or maybe the Sabres.

There is also just a pride that comes with knowing that hanging in during the hard years will make the next series of great ones that much better.

What do you have to say?

I'll be a fan until the devil russ brandon steals the team away from Buffalo. I hold on because there aren't that many seasons left, so why quit now. It's like a guy dying of lung cancer who smokes, why quit?