Interesting Story About Robey

jjmac

I'm incredibly impressed. First of all, how many high school seniors know CPR? Then the whole "ok, stay relaxed", he did what he needed to do, was able to apply it to his own mom, even went to school. Then broke down and let it out.

This is a guy I want on my team, for sure. This is a clutch guy.

Wow amazing story. This guy deserves everything he has worked so hard for. Earning a dime cb spot in his rookie year after being undrafted is a big accomplishment, and getting that pick 6 must have been amazing. Plus his name is Nickell and he is a nickel cb so that's cool

When he blew up McCluster and prevented that first down. I was like Wow!

Maybe we can pull this out.

That was an impact play. Dude has a high ceiling even if there is a lot of room between the top if his head and the ceiling in most rooms.

Marrone was very familiar with him from the cuse vs USC games - I assume it was his pet project pickup.

It's amazing to me that Robey didn't get picked up at least before the 5th round. The guy was a superior, high-profile college football player at USC. Yeah, he isn't a boundary corner so you can't justify a top pick but the nickel corner is a starting position in the NFL now and on the surface he looked like a late 3rd-4th round pick. There are always guys that get passed on that everyone knows have a lot of potential but they are usually guys with personality/off-field issues like D'arrick, Jason Peters, Vontaze Burfict etc..

Yea I read this earlier. I was one of the many who thought he would be cut after watching him play in preseason. But I gotta say I'm very impressed and very thankful the coaches knew what we didn't know about his skills and kept him on the squad.

Sunday is going to be a very special day for Nickell. I'm expecting 200% effort from him no matter the results.

Good sad story. Like this dude a lot and man does he belong here. Undervalued and playing with a chip on his shoulder. Glad he's a Bill and he's been very impressive and certainly exceeding expectations. I'm sure he will have some butterflies tomorrow if he lets his mind think about the scene and how can he not? Good luck man!

It's amazing to me that Robey didn't get picked up at least before the 5th round. The guy was a superior, high-profile college football player at USC. Yeah, he isn't a boundary corner so you can't justify a top pick but the nickel corner is a starting position in the NFL now and on the surface he looked like a late 3rd-4th round pick.

Very true.

Look at a guy like Ron Brooks. When he played at LSU he mostly played in the slot from what I saw. I expect Brooks to become a good player but right now he's behind Robey.

I know size worked against Robey but how big do you have to be to cover the Wes Welker's of the world?

When he blew up McCluster and prevented that first down. I was like Wow!

Maybe we can pull this out.

That was an impact play. Dude has a high ceiling even if there is a lot of room between the top if his head and the ceiling in most rooms.

Totally agree, his quick awareness of where the throw was going and his closing speed, tackling was perfect. I love the way he plays. He has far exceeded many expectations and I could see him being an effective slot CB for years to come. I think two weeks ago, PFF had him as the 3rd best nickel CB this year. Not sure where he's at now.

It's amazing to me that Robey didn't get picked up at least before the 5th round. The guy was a superior, high-profile college football player at USC. Yeah, he isn't a boundary corner so you can't justify a top pick but the nickel corner is a starting position in the NFL now and on the surface he looked like a late 3rd-4th round pick. There are always guys that get passed on that everyone knows have a lot of potential but they are usually guys with personality/off-field issues like D'arrick, Jason Peters, Vontaze Burfict etc..

GMs want big CBs now so I think his size was held against him.

Very true.

Look at a guy like Ron Brooks. When he played at LSU he mostly played in the slot from what I saw. I expect Brooks to become a good player but right now he's behind Robey.

I know size worked against Robey but how big do you have to be to cover the Wes Welker's of the world?

You know, I thought about this before, we've expected more from Brooks, but he was not even a starter at LSU. I know they're good, maybe great, but have we been fair in our expectations for him?

In the wonderfully clear view of hindsight, I guess we shouldn't be surprised that a starting corner from USC (another college football factory & perennial power) beats out backup corner from college? But either way, Robey has been a find.