Tom Cruise: Officially Clueless

ajzepp

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will never go to a theater to watch that jackass....his best movie was a supporting role in "Taps"...other than that, he "over acts" in everything else. !@#$ you TC!!

not so quickly there kemosabe...

http://www.tmz.com/2...hanistan-video/

I wonder what our men and women in the service would feel like if all of a sudden we could tell them that the job would still be just as demanding physically and mentally, BUT, we're going to remove 99% of the risk that you'll be injured or killed in the line of duty. I'd say that would be a slightly more level playing field, whether he was serious about the comparison or not. And if he wasn't serious about it, I still consider him a douche for making light of it lol.

He's just one of those people who should keep his mouth shut regardless, IMO...

i don't think he was making light of anything....i think people made a knee jerk reaction to something that was not an accurate representation of what he said

I wonder what our men and women in the service would feel like if all of a sudden we could tell them that the job would still be just as demanding physically and mentally, BUT, we're going to remove 99% of the risk that you'll be injured or killed in the line of duty. I'd say that would be a slightly more level playing field, whether he was serious about the comparison or not. And if he wasn't serious about it, I still consider him a douche for making light of it lol.

He's just one of those people who should keep his mouth shut regardless, IMO...

i don't think he was making light of anything....i think people made a knee jerk reaction to something that was not an accurate representation of what he said

So you're saying I can't call him a douche anymore?

I'm sorry Tom, but we'd train 3 sessions a day, 6 days a week, swim on the 7th for free time, on a 4 year cycle and I was only a reserve lifter. Comparing a sub 10 second sprint to running as fast as you can, no risk, no competition, 30 times, with an ability to run a 31st time if you thought it might look better even if it wasn't quicker, means you just don't get how hard it is to put all into 1 moment, every 4 years, to run faster than all of the fastest sprinters in the world at that moment, no tomorrow, no re shoot, no whoops- I missed my mark...

Was told by a vet- ex SAS, that you have no idea what it's like, even with training, until you're shot at with aggressive intent. Respect.

I'm sorry Tom, but we'd train 3 sessions a day, 6 days a week, swim on the 7th for free time, on a 4 year cycle and I was only a reserve lifter. Comparing a sub 10 second sprint to running as fast as you can, no risk, no competition, 30 times, with an ability to run a 31st time if you thought it might look better even if it wasn't quicker, means you just don't get how hard it is to put all into 1 moment, every 4 years, to run faster than all of the fastest sprinters in the world at that moment, no tomorrow, no re shoot, no whoops- I missed my mark...

Was told by a vet- ex SAS, that you have no idea what it's like, even with training, until you're shot at with aggressive intent. Respect.

That actually does sound a lot like everything I've heard about the work Cruise puts in to preparing for a role.

Note too that I only compared his preparation to Olympic-level preparation. I didn't bother addressing his "Afghanistan" comparison, which was just stupid.

I guess the point I missed DC Tom was there's no retake, CGI, cut, edit, stuntman in an Olympic competition. I couldn't miss a session because it'd throw out the training plan, if I under performed in a session, we'd evaluate our training, if I missed a goal in training, we'd evaluate the goal.

Edited by Shamrock

I was hoping that he was goign to say how wrestling with a bear named Ted was akin to going five rounds with George St Pierre or Johnny Hendricks in a UFC bout.

Edited by ajzepp

I guess the point I missed DC Tom was there's no retake, CGI, cut, edit, stuntman in an Olympic competition.

No, but there is practice, and rehearsal, and an industry where they spend a full day setting up a ten second shot of someone walking out of a building, for which they take 50+ takes to make sure they get the right one, and in each one the actor has to hit is mark as precisely as the last one.

And that's just walking out of a building. Imagine something like climbing the Burj Khalifa hotel (which he did himself, no CGI or stuntman), becoming fluent in Japanese and learning swordfighting, or becoming a close-combat and marksmanship expert (which he did for Collateral).

And keep in mind, I'm not comparing actors to Olympic athletes. I'm comparing one specific actor's level of preparation - which is exceptional by Hollywood standards - to Olympic preparation. It's an entirely apt comparison.

I couldn't miss a session because it'd throw out the training plan, if I under performed in a session, we'd evaluate our training, if I missed a goal in training, we'd evaluate the goal.

And movie production is just as strict. Different measurement - money - but you miss a scheduled shot, under-perform on it (requiring retakes), or miss a production deadline, you're in serious ****. Ask Lindsay Lohan how many jobs she gets now.

The bottom line is: professionalism is professionalism. It takes dedication and a hell of a lot of work, whether your lifting weights or making movies.