I like Polian's take on EJ's return

Kellyto83TD

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ is an injury prone QB. He's played 6 games counting preseason & has sustained 2 separate knee injuries. He gets hurt 33% of the time.

In college EJ was destroyed his RS senior year at Florida. Jameis Winston is proving what a real QB can do as a RS freshman. It makes me so angry we wasted a draft pick on this garbage.

Last year the team went 12-2 losing at NC State(glennoin was the QB who threw a last second TD for the win) and hosting a top 5 team in Florida.

this years team has something like 14 of the 22 starters are 5th yr seniors.

EJ is an injury prone QB. He's played 6 games counting preseason & has sustained 2 separate knee injuries. He gets hurt 33% of the time.

In college EJ was destroyed his RS senior year at Florida. Jameis Winston is proving what a real QB can do as a RS freshman. It makes me so angry we wasted a draft pick on this garbage.

Who would you have chosen? Justin Blackmon? Now that would've been the smart choice. It makes me so angry to waste my time with posts like yours!

http://espn.go.com/n...-cleared-return

Escapeablility. I have preached that for years, QB's shouldn't be running around risking themselfs but its great that they can get out of a pocket and pick up a few yards here and there. I would NEVER run the veer option with my NFL QB. Too much risk, not enough reward. Stand in the pocket and deliver.

If I were Marrone I would tell EJ no more. there would be no more read/Veer option. Just play action or straight hand off.

EJ's already been through this when he was injured in the preseason. Despite Polian's apprehension, EJ's playing on Sunday if all goes well in practice. Also heard that EJ actually wanted to play against the Chiefs, but couldn't get cleared by the medical staff.

Winston is not better than EJ. Watched the Miami game he threw 2 bad picks. Winston is a very good though especially for a freshman who will not be coming out next year anyway. What Winston has going for him is a really great football team with (4) outstanding receivers who really compete for the ball even if it's not on the money. Did I mention he has an excellent running game along with a dominating offensive line and a Defense to go along with it. The 2 picks he threw became speed bumps on the way to a blowout over Miami.

cam newton's career is just getting started. he's going to be a very good player for a very long time.

He's an absolute beast and he's getting better...There is almost no limit to how good he can be once the Panthers get the final pieces in place... B-)

1.) Cam Newton is not a run first QB.

2.) Culpeper never was a run first QB.

3.)EJ Manuel is not a run first QB.

4.) EJ Manuel was scrambling when he was injured not running a Read Option play

5.) They just need to teach EJ to baseball slide like Thad and Tuel. Both Thad and Tuel had no problem baseball sliding. EJ really really really needs to learn that skill.

It is a skill, it doesn't come naturally. It must be trained and practiced by EJ Manuel.

It is hard for a 6' 4" guy to just slide. Big Ben never learned it.

Escapeablility. I have preached that for years, QB's shouldn't be running around risking themselfs but its great that they can get out of a pocket and pick up a few yards here and there. I would NEVER run the veer option with my NFL QB. Too much risk, not enough reward. Stand in the pocket and deliver.

If I were Marrone I would tell EJ no more. there would be no more read/Veer option. Just play action or straight hand off.

I hope EJ saw this vid.

Matter of fact I hope Marrone was listening to Polian as well :)

Problem is EJ has been around 9 games. Don't think for a minute Marrone & Whaley are pleased with his brittleness. They want & need a guy who doesn't go down every 3 games. Manuel is INJURY PRONE. Not all humans are built to take the pounding an NFL QB must endure. Manuel will get hurt more often than a starter should. His development will be hindered. He's a great backup but has proven he can't be a reliable starter.

So you are saying you dont like EJM?

If he gets out of bounds 1 yard earlier we don't have this discussion . He is a rookie he will learn .

Correct. We knew this was a rebuilding year with rookie QBs, Coaches, front office, the works. they are all learning on the job. That generally does not add up to a lot of wins. Here's hoping EJ is a quick learner -- with his quality upbringing, etc. he seems very very coachable and learns additional applications of virtues like prudence and caution very quickly.

You should apply for that vacant analytics job .. oh ... wait ... too late. (Thank God)

Problem is EJ has been around 9 games. Don't think for a minute Marrone & Whaley are pleased with his brittleness. They want & need a guy who doesn't go down every 3 games. Manuel is INJURY PRONE. Not all humans are built to take the pounding an NFL QB must endure. Manuel will get hurt more often than a starter should. His development will be hindered. He's a great backup but has proven he can't be a reliable starter.

Cart.....horse??

Extremely well put and I could not possibly agree more.

If Winston was so much better than EJ at FSU, they would never have redshirted him.

I am not sure whether to laugh or cry at your analytics.

Edited by YoloInTheBlo

It is hard for a 6' 4" guy to just slide. Big Ben never learned it.

I agree, But an athlete is in two states; Trained or untrained.

EJ Manuel is capable of performing a baseball slide. However he is not trained to perform one consistently.

It behooves the Buffalo Bills organization to spend multiple hours to train EJ Manuel to baseball slide consistently.

Edited by Why So Serious?

No, No that was a garbage comment. Too early to say that. What did you expect this year?

I think some of these running QB's, run because they cannot be as effective as a pocket only QB --- e.g. look at RG3, his game overall is diminished because he isn't running (or can't run, yet) -- he's not as effective of a QB --- I think OC's are taking good passers and trying to make them great QB's by adding a run dimension to their game --- we all know how critical the QB position is in the NFL, the new wave OC's have found an added wrinkle that takes a good passer that can run and make them a great QB -- I think that's what you saw last year with RG3 (and this year's version of a non-running RG3 isn't pretty!); Kaepernick, Wilson and Vick. If you have a QB that is a great passer, you would be foolish as an OC to have them run --- case in point is Andrew Luck -- he is becoming a great passer -- he will run only when it's a safe option or to avoid the rush --- same with Rodgers ---- with Manuel, the issue might be that he will never be a great passer and the only way for the Bills to make him a great QB is to allow him to run as a part of his game ---- maybe he can develop into a great passer, but if he can't, he might have to run to be a successful franchise QB -- there are only so many great passers