FCC proposes ending sports blackouts

Beerball

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice story, written by an excellent reporter and a good friend.

But do note:

"even if the FCC officially eliminates its blackout rules, that doesn’t preclude sports leagues, broadcasters and cable and satellite providers from privately negotiating deals to black out certain sporting events in individual markets."

We'll see.

There was a piece at the end of interest that McCain had proposed that publicly financed stadiums couldnt blackout games played there.

That makes sense in every way. Unfortunately some things will never become reality when there's too much money at stake for the high ups in the world.

Football Stadiums need a second screen experience in a hurry. The home experience is soo superior in football. The same can't be said for Hockey or Basketball.

For example in New Orleans the have 2 tiny mini-Trons and the av crew appeared to forget they were there most if the game. Replays were basically non existent. It was like watching a football game in 1972.

If I had an app on my phone and could choose to select different replays in stadium it would make the experience better. I know the apps and companies exist. The NFL really has to focus on making the game watching experience better in the stadium.

Now you don't go to a NFL game to watch a game you go for the whole day experience. That doesn't mean you have such a disparate game watching experience as compared to watching from home.

I think its bull **** that the citizens of western ny are taxed to help support the bills and their stadium. And then during a blackout the same tax payers are not able to watch said team on tv. Wtf crap is that. That's so dirty.

I agree and to me and others that are disabled and can't attend the the games.

That makes sense in every way. Unfortunately some things will never become reality when there's too much money at stake for the high ups in the world.

They'll never become reality because there will always be legions of morons to keep voting those people into office.

Not one dime of taxpayer money should ever been spent on a professional sports stadium. That said, the FCC shouldn't have anything to do with what games the NFL chooses to show on TV.

every stadium will look like that on game day if the blackout rules go away

My first thought as well...maybe not every stadium..but I bet half of em

You guys couldn't be more wrong in my opinion. People don't go to games because they are afraid they won't see the game if it does not sell out. They go because they love being at the game and the whole "game day experience". That will not change, blackout rule or no blackout rule.

You guys couldn't be more wrong in my opinion. People don't go to games because they are afraid they won't see the game if it does not sell out. They go because they love being at the game and the whole "game day experience". That will not change, blackout rule or no blackout rule.

I gotta agree with you. Sabres are off to one of the worst starts in history and they are still selling out games (even though they don't have the blackout rule).

I think that you will see stadiums continue to get smaller and smaller with increased amenities and technology. The teams really don't need to sell tickets to be profitable. The goal will be to sell PSL's, all-inclusive packages and corporate seating to where they can steer the money away from revenue sharing. Some of you know that I worked in pro sports for about a decade and one of our main goals was to allocate funds to avoid paying the league, state, etc... At 1 point it was more advantageous or us to give tickets away than to sell them because of the inducements that would kick in from the state. That is no lie, we literally had thousands of tickets available that we printed up to give away to charity to avoid selling past that threshold.

On the flip side when the team was for sale we needed to show increased paid attendance to drive the asking price. Someone would buy a pair of floor seats for a game for $1,000. We would complete those and discount the $10 seats to $5 and sell 200 of them. That 1 transaction increased your paid attendance by 200.

Sorry if these thoughts seem a little all over the place but I guess the point that I am trying to make is that teams are less concerned about selling tickets (especially in the NFL). They will continue to find new ways to maximize revenue both in the stadium and via their network deals.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I think its bull **** that the citizens of western ny are taxed to help support the bills and their stadium. And then during a blackout the same tax payers are not able to watch said team on tv. Wtf crap is that. That's so dirty.

. Sound like my mom! That's good

I'm not sure how you can make a private company (either the NFL or the networks) show games on TV. Of course, the government rents the airwaves to the TV companies so I suppose if they put language in the next contract that stipulates as much they could force their hand but I don't see that happening as the networks would likely just go off the air and use satellite and cable distribution instead as that's the how majority of americans get their TV anyhow.

From what I've read two of the networks are considering going that route anyway if their litigation against Aereo doesn't go their way.

I'm not sure how you can make a private company (either the NFL or the networks) show games on TV. Of course, the government rents the airwaves to the TV companies so I suppose if they put language in the next contract that stipulates as much they could force their hand but I don't see that happening as the networks would likely just go off the air and use satellite and cable distribution instead as that's the how majority of americans get their TV anyhow.

From what I've read two of the networks are considering going that route anyway if their litigation against Aereo doesn't go their way.

Earth to MDH. Earth to MDH. Come in MDH.

every stadium will look like that on game day if the blackout rules go away

who cares as the NFL gets most of their money from big tv deals.

No way, no how is 5000 unsold tickets @ $100 each breaking NFL owners. If $50 grand is making or breaking NFL owners then I guess they are financially hurting more than they let on. The black out rule is BS.

I gotta agree with you. Sabres are off to one of the worst starts in history and they are still selling out games (even though they don't have the blackout rule).

That is because buffalo have a high % of season ticket holders. I think it was something like 2,000 tix per game to the general public. Much of these ticket sales happened before the season.

Hockey reports tickets sales--not gate counts.