Jeff Tuel strengths?

20 passes from a rookie UDFA seeing his first NFL action coming off the bench in prime time in the 5th game of the season on the road told me everything I'll ever need to know about the guy. If you can't be cool collected & proficient in that scenario what hope is there?

Right. The lack of "reps" thing being thrown about here is ridiculous. In that scenario you go on adrenaline and muscle memory. The guy came up tremendously small in that dept. He looked completely shook and terrified to be on the field. That said more than anything else about him, and is the reason I have zero confidence in him being anything other than a train wreck if he has to start tomorrow. The Bills really screwed this one up. They should have kept TJax (notice how quickly Seattle took him back?) over an injury prone Kolb. When the inevitable happened, they were caught with their pants down. They kept Tuel, not because he was so good and might get picked up by another team, but because he was the ONLY healthy QB that knew the offense! A gross miscalculation that is costing them any place in what has shaped up to be a rather middling lot of wildcard contenders. A shame that the PIVOTAL game of the remainder of this season has come to this. Even after just two weeks, I would start Flynn or activate Dixon. I never bought the preseason hype over Tuel and he's been exposed as a non talent with no sack to play the game at the NFL level.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I am not one that wants to see Tuel play on Sunday, what strengths does he possess? He got signed onto an NFL roster for some reason so there must be SOMETHING that he is somewhat good at when it comes to the quarterback position.

We haven't seen enough of him to make a drastic opinion one way or the other regarding his adequacy as an NFL QB. From what I saw in preseason, he seemed to display accuracy and a decent arm. Those are the strengths we have seen till now. I hesitate to beat down on the guy for his pitiful performance in the Browns game.

As an aside, it is quite telling that Marrone is ready to start him over Flynn. Even though Flynn has not had enough time with the playbook, his experience should have propelled him to start over an UDFA rookie QB. But early this week, Tuel started taking more first team reps than him. Not a good sign.

I'd like to see Marcus Easley on the field if he is the QB because they seemed to have good chemistry during the preseason games.

I saw him drop a beautiful TD pass to Easly at camp this summer. Well defended, back shoulder pass, toe taps... but it was practice.

ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS WHY THE F*&k CAN'T EJ GET OUT OF BOUNDS. THE MORE BACKUPS THAT START, THE MORE I START TO DISLIKE EJ.

Its too bad that we all will have to live with EJ and his steady decline as a QB. Every single game he got worse. We wont see a shot at another QB until this coaching staff gets canned, which is how it looks already. This team has a lot of good players but still cannot move forward. Run defense still sucks, we still run the ball the first two downs and then throw a three yard pass on third. We have seen this same stuff year after year. Except this year we suck even more. How's ole geno smith doing down there in NJ? Pretty dam good. How are the Bills doing, pretty crappy as usual. What is the single most common thing about this team? It cannot be the players or the coaches, yep ownership. Hate to say it but expecting anything different with the same ownership means the same results. Even Jerry Jones cant buy his way to a playoff.

I keep reading about this great pre-season that Tuel had.

12-20, 87 yards.

That's what he did in the pre-season against players that weren't 3rd and 4th stringers and are now bouncers or bartenders. In other words, what he did AFTER the Colts game. Most telling was the game against the Redskins, when I got my first glimpse of his lack of poise and his tendency to press. While getting all the 1st team reps leading up to it and being named starter for the most important pre-season game, he responded to the moment by going 10-17 for 63 yards.

He didn't inspire confidence then and didn't against Cleveland. Why should I be convinced he's gonna show it today? Please, somebody, ANYBODY give me a reason.

GO BILLS!!!

Its too bad that we all will have to live with EJ and his steady decline as a QB. Every single game he got worse. We wont see a shot at another QB until this coaching staff gets canned, which is how it looks already. This team has a lot of good players but still cannot move forward. Run defense still sucks, we still run the ball the first two downs and then throw a three yard pass on third. We have seen this same stuff year after year. Except this year we suck even more. How's ole geno smith doing down there in NJ? Pretty dam good. How are the Bills doing, pretty crappy as usual. What is the single most common thing about this team? It cannot be the players or the coaches, yep ownership. Hate to say it but expecting anything different with the same ownership means the same results. Even Jerry Jones cant buy his way to a playoff.

This is troll-worthy.

His greatest strength is that he's alive.

And unlike EJ can walk without a crutch.

Throws a nice deep bomb and a good spiral. He had a bunch of dropped passes in the Cleveland game. I'd like to see Marcus Easley on the field if he is the QB because they seemed to have good chemistry during the preseason games.

Back to this thread, I don't have any idea what Jeff Tuel's strengths are. The only playing of his that I have ever seen are preseason and the Cleveland game.

I have never seen Matt Flynn play, but somehow I think I prefer him to Tuel.

He's healthy for starters! Unlike the rest of this M.A.S.H. Unit! He's had some time to digest what happened in Cleveland, so that should help him be more relaxed back there. He does throw a nice ball, let's hope the o line gives him time and that 22 & 28 pound it effectively, KC is giving up around 4 yds per carry, take advantage of that, and when KC keys on the run, Tuel should have time to find open receivers... And if that don't work, put Flynn in! At least he learned behind Aaron Rodgers for a couple years, if he knew the offense, I believe he'd be in there. If the defense can contain Jamal Charles and pressure Alex Smith, and Tuel can at least manage the gameplan, a win is very possible!! Go Bills!!!

In all sincerity, you could very well be correct given two knee injuries in such a short span of time. However, I must say that the second injury was entirely preventable and I hope moving forward that EJ will mitigate the risk by getting OOB in such situations.

So was the first, he was apparently injured on a running play where he tried to freakin' hurdle someone

Wow, what's life like there under your bridge, Troll? Is it landscaped nicely with interlocking erosion blocks flanked by those wild roses that have giant orange hips in the fall/winter, or you got a homeless camp and a bunch of graffiti taking up the space?

Edited by Hopeful