Belichick and Pats Wanted EJ Manuel

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya know, by '96 Kelly was taking his lumps behind an aging line and on a team in its delcine, even though they made it to the playoffs in his final year...and he was 36, but he know the writing was on the wall for him and his team and he knew when to get out.

It just makes me wonder how much of that competitive fire I-want-to-play-until-I'm-40 Brady will have if this team starts to seriously slide and he gets knocked around a little more.

You make a very good point. I don't think Belichick will allow that Brady to hurt the team regardless of their relationship. He has proven to be a coach who will not hesitate to cut a player if their performance is not up to his liking.

I know we have lots of Brady haters here, but even though I'm not a Brady hater, I have come to the conclusion that he is on the downward side and I would be surprised if he starts more than a year or two. Look at the greats who played a little too long at the fair, Jim Kelly, Joe Montana (with Kansas City), and many others. This isn't a game for the longest term and the quarterbacks are taking worse and worse beatings. It would be a good time for the Pats to be seeking the qb of the future.

I know we have lots of Brady haters here, but even though I'm not a Brady hater, I have come to the conclusion that he is on the downward side and I would be surprised if he starts more than a year or two. Look at the greats who played a little too long at the fair, Jim Kelly, Joe Montana (with Kansas City), and many others. This isn't a game for the longest term and the quarterbacks are taking worse and worse beatings. It would be a good time for the Pats to be seeking the qb of the future.

During Kelly's last season the Bills made the playoffs, and Montana's Chefs went to the AFC Championship. So I wouldn't necessarily say they played too long.

I was at the last Kelly game, and through that season he was not at his best by any means. He left with a buy out. Montana was not at his best in those last years either. I remember seeing him in the playoff game in buffalo (probably the coldest I have ever been at any football game) where he was darn near killed by Bills linebackers. I don't mean they were awful, but they were on a serious downward spiral.

"IT'S ALMOST AS IF HE GREW A BETTER ARM. "

This is such a great post/observation that I felt compelled to acknowedge it.

If you have not yet seen "The Brady 6" documentary from ESPN (via Netflix?) that chronicles Brady and the 6 QBs taken before him, you should really do that. Especially if you think he is overrated. One of the best documentaries I have ever seen.

It's hard for some Bills fans to admit ... but how can you not have the utmost respect for Tom? And I agree that his arm has improved tremendously over time. A rough start this year notwithstanding, it is the best combination of mustard and accuracy as you could ever need, yet it wasn't always that way when he came out of Michigan.

Maybe, just maybe he made a deal with the devil...

"I'll give you a better arm, super bowl rings, fame, fortune, and a smoking hot wife. You just might have to give me one little thing in return. "

A pro, and leader, in every sense.

"IT'S ALMOST AS IF HE GREW A BETTER ARM. "

This is such a great post/observation that I felt compelled to acknowedge it.

If you have not yet seen "The Brady 6" documentary from ESPN (via Netflix?) that chronicles Brady and the 6 QBs taken before him, you should really do that. Especially if you think he is overrated. One of the best documentaries I have ever seen.

It's hard for some Bills fans to admit ... but how can you not have the utmost respect for Tom? And I agree that his arm has improved tremendously over time. A rough start this year notwithstanding, it is the best combination of mustard and accuracy as you could ever need, yet it wasn't always that way when he came out of Michigan.

A pro, and leader, in every sense.

Maybe, just maybe he made a deal with the devil... 

"I'll give you a better arm, super bowl rings,  fame, fortune, and a smoking hot wife. You just might have to give me one little thing in return. "A pro, and leader, in every sense.

Interesting bit of info--thanks!

However, this is almost a bad thing. The Patriots are not very good evaluators of talent. They lucked out on a 6th round pick in Brady, and everyone thinks they know what they are doing. They probably have more draft busts than we do.

WOW i never thought i would read a post like this , especially seeing as the Pats have been winning for over a decade .

But you must admit they get the most out of that bad talent than most any other team in the NFL ...

The Dolphins had the 29th and 59th picks entering the draft… and then traded away the 29th pick after the Bills took EJ at #16 so IF this rumor is true, the theory that New England targeted EJ at the end of the first round is pretty plausible to me.

..hmmm...many other explanations there.......but who knows you may be right

Edited by Tcali

Looking at their post-Brady QB selections - Rohan Davey, Kliff Kingsbury, Kevin O'Connell and Matt Cassell - I'm not sure whether the Pats* interest in Manuel is an endorsement or an indictment of Manuel.

You do realize that Brady is 36 years old?

Also you seem unaware that New England drafted Ryan Mallett in the 3rd round just 2 years ago.

If they have doubts about Mallet's development, why wouldn't they take EJ at #29?

To be their 3rd stringer? Not buying it.

We only know where one other team had Manuel, that's Dallas that gave him a 4th round grade. And they could use him as a backup.

If New England drafted EJ late in the first round, why would he project as a 3rd stringer?

Would you say that New England has shown a lot of confidence in Ryan Mallett?

Do you know how many passes Mallett's attempted in 2 and a half seasons of preseason ball?

Do you know how many passes Mallet's attempted in 2 and a half regular seasons?

You do realize that Brady is 36 years old?

Also you seem unaware that New England drafted Ryan Mallett in the 3rd round just 2 years ago.

If they have doubts about Mallet's development, why wouldn't they take EJ at #29?

If New England drafted EJ late in the first round, why would he project as a 3rd stringer?

Would you say that New England has shown a lot of confidence in Ryan Mallett?

Do you know how many passes Mallett's attempted in 2 and a half seasons of preseason ball?

Do you know how many passes Mallet's attempted in 2 and a half regular seasons?

Cause 29 would be to help them win before Brady leaves not after - depending on who you ask. If bb is sticking around though, maybe not

Edited by NoSaint

Cause 29 would be to help them win before Brady leaves not after - depending on who you ask. If bb is sticking around though, maybe not

It seems like you're saying that it's unlikely that New England would choose their future QB at pick 29 because it wouldn't help them win now.

However I'm not sure that trading the 29th pick for 4 later picks can be viewed as a "win now" kind of trade.

I guess I'm in the minority in that I don't think EJ to New England at #29 is implausible.

It seems like you're saying that it's unlikely that New England would choose their future QB at pick 29 because it wouldn't help them win now.

However I'm not sure that trading the 29th pick for 4 later picks can be viewed as a "win now" kind of trade.

I guess I'm in the minority in that I don't think EJ to New England at #29 is implausible.

It's possible, I just think its more likely they felt a few WRs or LBs were close and they wanted more picks and cheaper contracts and still get a player they valued similarly. Makes more sense to me than backup qb for 2 years with their first round pick. If they really wanted a qb - geno learning the patriot way might've even had more upside.

My brother in law knows Josh Kraft very well in Boston and during dinner a couple nights ago, he said the Pats were hoping to get him. Thought that was interesting......

Sure they did, they were just trying to scare us into taking him in the first, guess that's why they own the division.

Oh so many people here wanted that guy...what a bum he's been.

can't call a guy a bum when he has never started.

Ya know, by '96 Kelly was taking his lumps behind an aging line and on a team in its delcine, even though they made it to the playoffs in his final year...and he was 36, but he know the writing was on the wall for him and his team and he knew when to get out.

It just makes me wonder how much of that competitive fire I-want-to-play-until-I'm-40 Brady will have if this team starts to seriously slide and he gets knocked around a little more.

QBs don't get hit anymore, wont be surprised to see many QBs play into their 40s now.

Just spoke to him again and it sounds like the idea was to groom him behind Brady. Looks like there is BIG concern over Brady's accuracy right now.....

problem is a bunch of nubes at WR, he looks real accurate with Gronk and Edelman. They made huge mistakes in letting Welker and Woodhead go along with Hernandez going to jail.

Perhaps Belichick didn't like Geno.

We don't know.

But the OP reported that New England liked EJ and were hoping to draft him and my posts in this topic are based on that premise.

Geno on the Pats? Um, no. Don't think Belicheat is into guys who text on their phone the whole time they are interviewing/visiting with NFL teams pre-draft.