Locker Room Nudity & Age

The Big Cat

Baring it all in public locker rooms  

57 members have voted

1. 1. When did you graduate/are you uptight?

• I graduated in 1989 or before and it doesn't bother me at all.
    • I graduated in 1989 or before and my nudity and the nudity of other's is a bit off-puting
    • I graduated in 1990 or later and it doesn't bother me at all.
    • I graduated in 1990 or later and my nudity and the nudity of other's is a bit off-puting

Never swam naked in school (CO '82), but this thread did remind me when I was younger my Dad and a bunch of fellow teachers used to play basketball at the high school on Friday nights - he used to take my brother and I and we would bring some friends and play on the other half of the court. The highlight of the evening was skinny dipping in the pool (no lights) after playing. Never thought it was weird at all (til now).

Played 3 sports through high school and always took communal showers and never thought twice about it. My kids play sports in HS now and no one ever takes showers at school - if I even mention taking a shower at school they look at me like I'm from another planet.

One of our favorite things to do in high schol after practice in the Fall, on freezing cold days, was to turn all the showers on the hottest setting and just let them run and make a steam bath (does that somehow raise the homoerotic quotient of this thread?)

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1979 here and I never heard of it either. That's just nucking futz and many of these guys are "oh yeah, no big deal." Our school pool and a viewing deck above for spectators to watch swim meets behind a glass wall. So there would be nowhere to keep the gawkers from watching. And the water was always cold. I didn't have much to shrink in the first place but good god talk about giving a kid a complex. Luckily we had no black kids in our school. :lol:

For obvious reasons people/guys may have never talked about it. Do you have older siblings? I think you said, you have a brother. If he is older, what about him? Like I said, the cusp seems to be in the mid-1970's when society changed. Ain't that the truth... So much changed during that period! I said, was born in 1968... Things were changing rapidly. You probably remember it to, I remember taking family trips and you couldn't even find a gas station open on Sundays!

Just saying... So much changed during the 1970's...

I'm almost as shocked by how many of you went to schools that had a pool as I am the fact that guys swam nekkid. I wonder if it was some kind of weeding out process where the gym teacher was looking for boys who seemed interested in each other.

They had a pool in Bedford Falls! Even had a retractable floor to cover it!

;-P ;-P ;-P

I don't think you'll live that long, old timer.

That is just 10 years away for you! I am 45 and remember thinking you and posting on this board!

:-O

Oh my God! You killed Kenny! You bastard!

know...I LOVED having the show and I suspect most south park grads get a kick out of it. Imagine, I left a strict seminary to go to a co-ed public school the year the micro skirt was invented. Almost nudity there of a most positive kind!

For obvious reasons people/guys may have never talked about it. Do you have older siblings? I think you said, you have a brother. If he is older, what about him? Like I said, the cusp seems to be in the mid-1970's when society changed. Ain't that the truth... So much changed during that period! I said, was born in 1968... Things were changing rapidly. You probably remember it to, I remember taking family trips and you couldn't even find a gas station open on Sundays!

My brother is 2 years older. They built our gymnasium and pool addition to our high school in the late 60's. An no, there was at no time that they had us swim naked. They had swim suits for us to use from day one. They were color coded to your size which was a huge embarrassment for some of the girls. But they were very flimsy and we loved the suits on the girls in that cold water.

My brother is 2 years older. They built our gymnasium and pool addition to our high school in the late 60's. An no, there was at no time that they had us swim naked. They had swim suits for us to use from day one. They were color coded to your size which was a huge embarrassment for some of the girls. But they were very flimsy and we loved the suits on the girls in that cold water.

I'm sure they loved you boys in that cold water even more!

I graduated in early 2000 and have no problem with locker room nudity - I dont prefer to hang out naked, but changing/walking through locker room nude is no issue

in high school it was actually quite fun, after lacrosse and football games and practices we all showered together in a big, long trough style shower, we would play "Kick the Poo" which was 2v2 soccer with an empty shampoo bottle - 1 goalie and 1 striker, my team was close to undefeated...its my proudest accomplishment....

we had so much fun that our lacrosse coach once famously yelled at us after a particularly poor game "you guys care more about your games in the shower than you do about the actual lacrosse game!" - to which I absent mindedly nodded my head "yes" with...he was not pleased....

long live locker room nudity!

I graduated Edison Tech in 1976. Other than the fear of being picked on I had no issues with it. As a matter of fact when we had swim class in the pool clothing was optional until they went coed and had mixed classes in 1975-1976. Some poor Bleep was in the pool area when the girls walked in. talk about embarrassing.

I used to go to the quarry in Penfield and go skinny dipping with dozens of strangers in the summers when in HS. (very near the now - shadow lake golf club)

nudity is nothing to be ashamed of. IMO the prudishness of Americans has caused more harm than good.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

When my daughter was young, we did parent-tot swim classes on Saturday mornings at the local middle school. I'd shower in the locker room after. Well one day I head from the showers to the locker area only to find the back door propped open and the youth football team's cheerleaders out in the hall waiting to go practice. Talk about shrieks!

When my daughter was young, we did parent-tot swim classes on Saturday mornings at the local middle school. I'd shower in the locker room after. Well one day I head from the showers to the locker area only to find the back door propped open and the youth football team's cheerleaders out in the hall waiting to go practice. Talk about shrieks laughter!

There you go.

ok, here's one for you....in our work gym we have 3 showers...2 are the stall showers with a shower curtain, one is a shower room with a small 3 foot wide bench, a sink and a shower, all with a lockable door, you can shower, shave and get dressed all in that room. I am amazed how many people opt for the stall showers when all the showers are available to them. Me? I head right for the lockable, luxurious one...that always baffles me...

When my daughter was young, we did parent-tot swim classes on Saturday mornings at the local middle school. I'd shower in the locker room after. Well one day I head from the showers to the locker area only to find the back door propped open and the youth football team's cheerleaders out in the hall waiting to go practice. Talk about shrieks!

it's amazing how simple things like that would happen. Sophomore year I was showering and a mom decided to bring her daughter in the locker room to use the bathroom. This was fine except 3 or 4 of us were down to nothing. The daughter was 4-5? They were there for a freshman football game.

The entire gymnastics team and cheer leading team would often practice after the wrestling team. That would always be interesting as we check our weight with one door seperating us from them. Guys would get pushed out the door and have it locked behind them only to be stared at by the girls.

Those were the days

ok, here's one for you....in our work gym we have 3 showers...2 are the stall showers with a shower curtain, one is a shower room with a small 3 foot wide bench, a sink and a shower, all with a lockable door, you can shower, shave and get dressed all in that room. I am amazed how many people opt for the stall showers when all the showers are available to them. Me? I head right for the lockable, luxurious one...that always baffles me...

So Pooj, have you ever spent time in a Turkish prison? Ever see a grown man naked?

6 pages in and no Airplane! quotes... People are slipping... ;-)

In reading many of the posts in this thread, there is definitely an obsession with public nudity for many men across the country. I think it's crazy. And sick.

In the Navy, there were also individual shower stalls that had curtains (not see through). There was enough room to dry off and wrap your towel around your waist. It was amazing to me how many people chose not to. And there were definite "rooster watchers." They were called right out on it and usually just either played it off or walked away. But then there were the well-endowed guys who would literally point and laugh at the less-fortunate.

Just an uncomfortable situation all around. I don't get it.

Okay, I had this experience in high school in Amherst we had swim class naked. It wasn't a big deal, we had towel fights in the locker room too (snap snap snap). The girls wore suits and a couple of times a few snuck in the pool building (wasn't really a seperate building per say but what else do you call the room where the pool is).

Anyway we had that system from at least my first year in JR high through til graduation in 77.

The weirdest environment I had seen a bunch of men naked in was in a

Jjimjilbang in Korea when I lived there, that was creepy. As I was the only white guy,

I wasn't sure if they were checking my junk because of that fact or what. They had massage on a table in the

corner and 3 small different temperature pools, the locker room scene was strange too. They blow dried the privates in front of mirrors, I got out of that room fast, lol.

I did go to a coed one with my ex girlfriend there but naked wasn't allowed there, everyone had to wear towels, in the stone sauna room which was hot and sweaty and frankly was kind of sexy. The steam room in that place was really really hot, I almost passed out after a few minutes. But my ex and I went about 10 times. Koreans really love that stuff.

I always thought it was weird or awkward in school gym/swimming etc..to be naked in front of classmates.

But in boot camp it wasn't nearly as awkward and never even thought about it ever. No big deal. Even doubling up in urinals when we were in a hurry, no big deal.

So i guess for me different situations, different outcomes

Wow, be a big deal to me, I mean what if they miss?

This whole swimming naked thing in school for you guys is the strangest thing I've ever heard. Is this unique to the city schools?

Amherst had it.

You know this just reminded me of one of the best parts of high school. I was in the marching band and we'd ride to parades in our street clothes and change into our uniforms on the bus. Boys and girls together. Now that was fun. :devil:

wow I knew I should of stuck with the drums, when I was a kid.

Wow, be a big deal to me, I mean what if they miss?

It is like Ghostbusters! Whatever you do... DO NOT CROSS THE STREAMS!

Anyway... Guys (okay females too) do strange things. Especially the young ones... Coming of age, rite of passage, sexuality. My father went to school in the 1940's... He said one time the guys in the locker room were all gathered around measauring "it" w/a ruler... You know, to find out who had the biggest, longest. In walked a female teacher and she went bezerk/apesh*t on the guys... Calling them all kinds of names, swinging @ 'em, etc... LoL My father's argument was @ 13: "What the hell was she doing in the boy's locker room!" LoL... Gee the the good old 1940's.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I mentioned this whole swimming naked in gym class to my brother. We grew up in the boonies in Genesee county and he graduated in '77 and me in '79. He laughed and said he's never heard of that either and he never moved away from WNY like I did. He said you all must have had gay gym teachers.

I mentioned this whole swimming naked in gym class to my brother. We grew up in the boonies in Genesee county and he graduated in '77 and me in '79. He laughed and said he's never heard of that either and he never moved away from WNY like I did. He said you all must have had gay gym teachers.

LoL... Lotta gay gym teachers... I asked around here. No for one guy in Chicago... Yes, for the guy who was in the sticks... LoL... Queers and steers out in the sticks here, and I don't see many horns!

I worked at SUNY Brockport in the 90's when the ice hockey team was located down a public hall to the showers and after the games the players in towels rant a "gauntlet" of drunken female hockey fans to the showers. My son was the goalie on the team and they thought it was a real kick. All I could think of was when he was ten and would be humiliated if his mother walked in on him at the bathtub. I guess now the University would be all up in sexual harassment charges.

Has the statute of limitations run out - because you guys were breaking state laws and not swimming nude!

As a boy growing up in Buffalo in the mid 70s, we were of the group that had to swim naked when we did swimming in gym class. Girls were in a separate class, and got to wear suits. We saw that door to their locker room crack open many times tho.

Jesus, totally forgot about this until you wrote it. I spent one year in Buffalo in a school with a pool. I remember that I was about 7 or something and was so happy that my school had a pool. I brought my trunks and the teacher made us take them off. I was mortified. Luckily, there was some sort of option to go to the gym or pool so I just did gym after that first day, when I clung to the wall and watched the clock until the period was over. The teacher assumed I couldn't swim. Great spot for the new kid in class. Only spent one year at tat school before entering Catholic school for the rest of my life.