When were you most wrong on a player?

plenzmd1

That is not true. He was on a very good USC team and was regarded as a good mid round prospect. He was hardly a disaster in college. The game in question was in JAX vs Baltimore I believe. Great looking QB in practice, had an amazing arm. Couldn't process the speed of the game though. Plenty of NFL types thought he could be great, Gruden among them.

RJ was surrounded by huge talent at USC.If u saw him play college ball you know he was not a good qb and that Matt cassell coulda had just as good numbers. he was a dumb QB back then--which was why he lasted to the midrounds.Of course he had an excellent arm...but had no more QB judgment in college than he did in the pros. In true Buffalo fashion---Buffalo jumps on him and offers him 25 mil after 1 game. --So maybe disaster was a strong word. But those with eyes to see could tell that he didnt have it.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope I can come back in five years and say I'm wrong on EJ. I just don't think he's the answer, but I'm pinning all my hope on him.

I hope I can come back in five years and say I'm wrong on EJ. I just don't think he's the answer, but I'm pinning all my hope on him.

Don't worry bro. You'll be wrong about EJ. The staying healthy thing may be a problem, but on the field he has a lot of upside. He can make all the throws and most of all, he's cautious. I'm upset at him for not pulling the trigger on a couple of deep throws, but at least he doesn't try to fit a ball in tight spots like Fitz did, or stand in the pocket like a statue like Bledsoe...

He has the intangibles. We all know his personality is great and personality doesn't win ball games but you can't help but see how mature he is for his age.

I'm not one to compare rookies to players who have been in the league for years but we all know how Peytons' first year went. EJ hasn't even had a whole year under his belt but the comeback against the Ravens and the game against the Pats were signs of what he CAN do...

Even then Marrone said he missed on opportunities so hopefully in time, our offense will start clicking and we can start winning some ball games by double digits instead of all these nail biters.

One of the biggest issues I have with EJ is that it takes him 2 quarters to get into the groove of the game. I believe that's fixable though...

Don't worry bro. You'll be wrong about EJ. The staying healthy thing may be a problem, but on the field he has a lot of upside. He can make all the throws and most of all, he's cautious. I'm upset at him for not pulling the trigger on a couple of deep throws, but at least he doesn't try to fit a ball in tight spots like Fitz did, or stand in the pocket like a statue like Bledsoe...

He has the intangibles. We all know his personality is great and personality doesn't win ball games but you can't help but see how mature he is for his age.

I'm not one to compare rookies to players who have been in the league for years but we all know how Peytons' first year went. EJ hasn't even had a whole year under his belt but the comeback against the Ravens and the game against the Pats were signs of what he CAN do...

Even then Marrone said he missed on opportunities so hopefully in time, our offense will start clicking and we can start winning some ball games by double digits instead of all these nail biters.

One of the biggest issues I have with EJ is that it takes him 2 quarters to get into the groove of the game. I believe that's fixable though...

he can make ALL the throws?? he hasnt shown that at all.When under pressure he cant sidestep and throw properly.he throws off the wrong foot --and some of those passes...uglyyyyy and pathetic as well.

he better learn how to sidestep the rush .and learn it very quickly. thats something he shoulda learned in grade school.Granted he has pluses--like not being panicky,having a reasonably strong arm,and a certain cool out there...and of course he is very big and strong.

he can make ALL the throws?? he hasnt shown that at all.When under pressure he cant sidestep and throw properly.he throws off the wrong foot --and some of those passes...uglyyyyy and pathetic as well.

he better learn how to sidestep the rush .and learn it very quickly. thats something he shoulda learned in grade school.Granted he has pluses--like not being panicky,having a reasonably strong arm,and a certain cool out there...and of course he is very big and strong.

I don't want to argue a straw man here, so let me make sure I understand you properly:

You're saying that EJ should have learned how to adjust to the speed of an NFL pass rush in grade school?

I don't want to argue a straw man here, so let me make sure I understand you properly:

You're saying that EJ should have learned how to adjust to the speed of an NFL pass rush in grade school?

I think TCali is saying that Manuel should be better at climbing the pocket.

I'm a big EJ fan but either he has an aversion to stepping up in the pocket or Hackett is failing as a QBs coach.

EJ has to learn to climb the pocket. He would also be well served to abandon is over-reliance on the Tarkenton-inspired reverse spin move. The pros already know this tendency and are gonna eat him up on it.

He is fundamentally unsound. Fundamentals are learned early on. It is not about his ability to avoid the speed of an NFL passrush.

Many slower,less athletic,weaker QBs had/have the fundamentals of sidestepping,stepping up in the pocket...sensing the rush as well.

And the ability to quickly shift and throw off the proper foot is a 'fundamental'.Throwing off the wrong foot--esp those end over end pathetic jobs---is not a good sign.

Hopefully his pluses--which I have previously mentioned..and some seriously quick learning---will make this guy a good NFL QB. Lets hope so.

Dunno if it's been said yet but every time Bucky Brooks touched the ball I was wound up with anxiety, as I expected him to run around the field Tecmo-Bowl style. All that guy did was run right into kickoff coverage. Boring.

Todd Collins, Lonnie Johnson, and Mike Williams are on my list, but I wasn't as wrong about them as I was about Brooks.

I've been 100% right about every other player, otherwise.

I think TCali is saying that Manuel should be better at climbing the pocket.

I'm a big EJ fan but either he has an aversion to stepping up in the pocket or Hackett is failing as a QBs coach.

EJ has to learn to climb the pocket. He would also be well served to abandon is over-reliance on the Tarkenton-inspired reverse spin move. The pros already know this tendency and are gonna eat him up on it.

Footwork.

That's all it is. Geno has great footwork (I just threw up a little). When Geno's head moves, his whole body turns, ready to fire. EJ's footwork sucks. He wants to do it on arm talent alone.

Sucks that he has a leg injury, so now he cant even work on it in his down time.

He is fundamentally unsound. Fundamentals are learned early on. It is not about his ability to avoid the speed of an NFL passrush.

Many slower,less athletic,weaker QBs had/have the fundamentals of sidestepping,stepping up in the pocket...sensing the rush as well.

And the ability to quickly shift and throw off the proper foot is a 'fundamental'.Throwing off the wrong foot--esp those end over end pathetic jobs---is not a good sign.

Hopefully his pluses--which I have previously mentioned..and some seriously quick learning---will make this guy a good NFL QB. Lets hope so.

Gotcha.

The only fundamental flaw I've seen is his tendency not to set himself prior to throwing deep; which I think is what you're referring to here. I think it's partially a function of the speed of the game...less time to react means any fundamental flaws will be the primary point of breakdown in technique--at QB or any other position--as I'm sure you know.

I do think it can be fixed with one good offseason of NFL coaching.

Footwork.

That's all it is. Geno has great footwork (I just threw up a little). When Geno's head moves, his whole body turns, ready to fire. EJ's footwork sucks. He wants to do it on arm talent alone.

Sucks that he has a leg injury, so now he cant even work on it in his down time.

Agree that it's a footwork issue...I keep pointing to Drew Brees. He had terrible footwork when he entered the league; he got it corrected in his 3rd offseason and his accuracy absolutely sky-rocketed.

Here's hoping that EJ can make the leap quicker.

I thought JP had all the tools and just needed a better line and running game. I was also excited about the more obscure Corey Moore out of Virginia Tech who I thought was a steal where the Bills got him in the draft.

The kid was a bit of a tweener, but he had broke Bruce Smith's college sack record and was a ferocious pass rusher in college, but there were concerns he was too light for the prototypical D-End back then. The Bills tried him at outside linebacker and I thought they would have him put his hand on the ground and develop into that outside edge rusher they lacked, but he would get swallowed up at times by blockers.

Unfortunately, he was not given much of a chance to break the Bills lineup and ended up getting into trouble off the field as well. To this day I am not sure if he was given enough time to develop, he certainly was not given the amount of time and leash 1st round bust Maybin was given. I think that Bills organization of seasons gone by was much quicker about jettisoning or not resigning players that they did not like or felt had little left in the tank or would cost more $$ to retain than Ralph was willing to pay (Ted Washington, Pat Williams, Winfield, Clements, etc...).

They were wrong of course about a lot of those decisions, so I am not sure if they were also wrong about that kid. I don't like punks and he got into legal trouble off the field, so maybe it was for the best.