How many games does Thad Lewis have to win to remain the starter

johnwalter

How many games does Thad have to win to remain the starter?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. How many games does Thad have to win to remain the starter?

• 3-2 in his next five starts
    • 4-1 in his next five starts
    • 5-0 in his next five starts

So, 4 games is enough? This is non-sensical.

EJ needs more time and live action before management can decide if he is our long term QB. Thankfully the decision isn't made in four starts. But if it was a four game season, I would be all for drafting another QB. He has yet to show the consistency and stardom of a franchise guy.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you want to murder people who don't agree with you about football? you need psycho therapy, man. this poster is consistently my least favorite thing about reading these message boards.

yeah yeah, i know, i'm a retard. get your sniper rifle and murder me from your balcony.

yeah yeah, i know, i'm a retard, because i don't find your psychotic sense of humor funny. Any other caustic responses I'm missing?

Every time you don't agree with someone on these boards, you say the same few things, which are essentially the same thing: "close down the thread/Mods why is there a thread here? or "oh my god the OP is a retard." I'd say you've posted some variation of this 20 thousand times. Are you looking forward to your next 20 thousand times saying it?

And I'm sure you are proud of your inability to communicate with any member of the human species who disagrees with you in even the slightest regard. But why would you want to communicate with any of them, they're all retards, just like me, right?

Beat your chest proudly!

Dude, how about a little compassion. Do you have any idea how aggravating it must be for Tom to deal with you guys? Let's say, for the sake of the board's collective ego, that posters here generally have above average intelligence (:lol:) and the median IQ is 110. As the smartest poster on the board (if you don't believe me, ask him) his IQ is probably around 160. That means, for him, talking to you guys is what it's like for you guys to talk to someone with an IQ of 60 (which is clinically retarded). So cut the poor guy some slack. He's trying to be tolerant.

I totally agree. If a rookie, particularly a QB, hasn't shown that they are going to be a good player within their first 5 starts, they should be benched and look to the next years draft to find their replacement.

That is not what I said. I said that EJ has not shown that he has the potential to be a Franchise QB on the field during the season and that Lewis has so far shown about as much as EJ.(not exactly a stellar indicator) EJ should not be given a pass or favoritism based on being a first round pick. He should have to earn his way. Play them both and if Lewis does not play worse than EJ, let them fight it out, and may the best QB win based on actual performance. Given the current performances of both QBs, it would be prudent to not rule out a QB in next years draft if neither rises above the level of both their mediocre performances.

That is not what I said. I said that EJ has not shown that he has the potential to be a Franchise QB on the field during the season and that Lewis has so far shown about as much as EJ.(not exactly a stellar indicator) EJ should not be given a pass or favoritism based on being a first round pick. He should have to earn his way. Play them both and if Lewis does not play worse than EJ, let them fight it out, and may the best QB win based on actual performance. Given the current performances of both QBs, it would be prudent to not rule out a QB in next years draft if neither rises above the level of both their mediocre performances.

In a curious development, many "talking heads" on ESPN, NFLN, etc, seem to be much higher on EJM than yourself and some others on this board. As they tend to be ex-jocks, and people who know a thing or two about football, I'd put more stock in their opinion. That said , this thread and your opinion is pretty dumb. When TL starts looking like the next Brady, let me know. Otherwise, the reality is that people involved in the NFL will generally give all sorts of preference based on draft status.Its how the world works, no different than the child of an alumni getting in to the prestigious college, the Manager hiring the guy he knows, etc. The high pick will get several chances to succeed. It's a huge investment and the guy has only started 5 games! EJM hasn't exactly looked horrible out there, a few bad throws vs Jets notwithstanding. If the Bills are in the WC hunt,(unlikely) they may stick with TL for continuity and the fact that EJM may have some catching up to do after 6 weeks off or so. By the way, in the Jets loss to PIT, I saw G Smith get pressured and throw a pass to an open WR on an out route. It landed 5 yards out of bounds.It happens, these guys are still young. In the end , it doesn't matter what half the knuckleheads on this board think, it only matters what the Bills brass thinks. Anything less than 7-5 = T Lewis back to the bench. Its just reality.

Robert Woods has been pretty quiet since EJ has been injured. Have to get this guy re-integrated into the offensive game plan.

Well, he was doubled most of the game against CInci with SJ being out and Miami also seemed to give him more attention as well. But Lewis missed him a few times when he was open. And your point about his chemistry with EJ is a good one. Maybe him and Lewis aren't on the same page yet. But, if you aren't the primary on a play, I get the feeling Lewis won't look in your direction, anyway. At least so far.

GO BILLS!!!

Lewis could win every game, EJ is starting when he's healthy. Bills put too many eggs into that basket. For reasons I don't understand, but EJ's our guy no matter what.

If by some minor miracle the Bills won every game that TL started (though they already lost one), TL would stay in as the Bills would be in the playoff hunt. Playoffs this year always will take precedent over future development, even for a first year coaching staff that will generally be given a pass. It would mean wins over KC and NO, so don't hold your breath for it, but given that scenario, TL stays in. In ANY other scenario, (more likely), EJM starts when healthy. The reasons that you don't understand are that A) EJM is a superior physical specimen to TL, giving him an edge in his potential to be a star , and B) the goal of the franchise has to be to WIN THE SUPERBOWL. That is statistically more likely with EJM than Thad Lewis at QB. Go ahead, throw out the usual names like Tom Brady, Tony Romo, Kurt Warner, et al. The fact is those guys are the exceptions , and for every Tom Brady, there are hundreds of guys like Jeff Tuel for example. But hey, a lot of fans don't know much about these things, and that's why in most NFL cities the backup QB is the most popular guy in town.

Well, he was doubled most of the game against CInci with SJ being out and Miami also seemed to give him more attention as well. But Lewis missed him a few times when he was open. And your point about his chemistry with EJ is a good one. Maybe him and Lewis aren't on the same page yet. But, if you aren't the primary on a play, I get the feeling Lewis won't look in your direction, anyway. At least so far.

GO BILLS!!!

Thad was bad in the Dolphins game IMO and I simply do not understand all of the banter about him staying at the helm of the offense upon EJ's return to health. Some people are acting as if Thad is lighting it up and really merits consideration as a potential viable long term solution at QB.

Nothing I have seen warrants such consideration. As I said in the beginning of this thread, EJ is the starting QB for the Bills. EOS!

I can't understand why some are annointing EJ as the starter forever. He wasn't very highly thought of coming out of college. The best evaluations had him listed as the best option in a poor year for QB's. With an almost universal agreement that that this years QB class wasn't that great he didn't even stand out most saw Geno Smith as the best of the lot.

Watching him I haven't seen a great ability to read defenses and he throws a pretty bad deep ball. Even his ability to run hasn't really overwhelmed me. I'm not arguing that Thad is a sure fire starter in the NFL either but truthfully I've liked what I've seen from him more than I have from EJ.

EJ needs to earn the starting job not be handed it on a silver platter.

I can't understand why some are annointing EJ as the starter forever. He wasn't very highly thought of coming out of college. The best evaluations had him listed as the best option in a poor year for QB's. With an almost universal agreement that that this years QB class wasn't that great he didn't even stand out most saw Geno Smith as the best of the lot.

Watching him I haven't seen a great ability to read defenses and he throws a pretty bad deep ball. Even his ability to run hasn't really overwhelmed me. I'm not arguing that Thad is a sure fire starter in the NFL either but truthfully I've liked what I've seen from him more than I have from EJ.

Who on this forum said he is an unquestioned Franchise QB? At this juncture, it's easy to see that EJ has both the physical and mental makeup to be an excellent QB. Whether he puts it all together or not is still to be seen. It's only 5 games into his NFL career with the assessment on hold due to his injury.

Who on this forum said he is an unquestioned Franchise QB? At this juncture, it's easy to see that EJ has both the physical and mental makeup to be an excellent QB. Whether he puts it all together or not is still to be seen. It's only 5 games into his NFL career with the assessment on hold due to his injury.

Reading the first three pages of this topic I read 6 people who said that EJ is the starter no matter what.

That is not what I said.....

Actually it is pretty much exactly what you said.

You said....

"I waited for someone to persuade me with facts and statistics that either Lewis or EJ deserved to be considered a potential Franchise OB. Or even a decent starting QB. After this thread has progressed, the only thing it has persuaded me is that it is time to start thinking about drafting a QB high next year, because according to the statistics and facts presented so far there does not appear a potential Franchise QB on our roster."

To which I responded that looking for EJs replacement after 5 starts was premature.

No biggy though.

As for your argument that if EJ and Thad are playing at similar levels they should fight it out for the starting spot.....

This has been repeatedly addressed in the thread......including one long explanatory post from myself directed to you.

In summary of the points made....Thad has been assessed across the league as having miniscule chance to become a good NFL starter.....and EJ has been recently assessed by the Bills to have a decent chance to become a good NFL starter. That being the case, you don't give valuable playing time to a guy who you think might be a decent backup.....you give it to the guy who you think might become a good starter.

Edited by Dibs

If you can set aside the absolutes for a moment, nobody is saying EJM is the starter FOREVER. He will be given ample time to prove himself as a high draft pick. That is reality, and that probably will be a few seasons. It's just too early to tell. He's made good throws and poor ones. You seem to only remember the Jets game. Many teams were reportedly high on Manuel as the draft neared, and sportscience, which is a far more involved analysis than the NFL combine where guys run around in shorts throwing to uncovered WR's, concluded EJ Manuel was the best QB in this draft. It will play itself out, and if after enough of a body of work says EJM cannot do it, he will give way to another draft pick or FA or whatever. He has done fine. He needs to continue to progress, but if somehow the Bills are in the playoff hunt TL will probably stay in. Remember, the original plan was to have a veteran start the season and eventually give way to Manuel. That didn't happen, but the difference in draft status and physical ability says there is no controversy here.

When EJ is healthy - he starts... end of story. Thad may earn himself the backup job if he continues to show well until EJ returns... EJ gets at least another year to show what he can do as a starter... This team still has a lot of holes to fill with next years draft picks... The Bills need to build around EJ...

With all due respect to the Thad supporters here, there is no controversy. Thad is gritty, tough and has made some nice plays. He has also looked like a QB that just came off the PS. He is Fitz with a better arm. Once teams get more than 3 games of footage on him he will be easier to defend. I have little faith in a Thad Lewis led team for 16 games. He is limited, went undrafted for a reason and was backing up KELLEN MOORE in Detroit two months ago. His ceiling may already have been reached. EJ has immense talent albeit he is a bit raw. But if you haven't recognized his talent, leadership and pure ability, you are clearly missing something

EJ has immense talent albeit he is a bit raw. But if you haven't recognized his talent, leadership and pure ability, you are clearly missing something

Help me out here Captain. Can you point out what you've seen in his talent and pure ability that tells you he has "immense talent". Be specific please. To me, and I admit I may be clearly missing something, he looks a lot like Thaddeus who you say has already hit his cieling. Not sure how you can tell that, but I digress.

I do agree EJ has good leadership, but then again, so does Thaddeus.

I'm not saying Thaddeus should be the starter, just that we should keep an open mind. Let Thaddeus play until EJ is ready and then re evaluate. We don't have to decide anything today.

With all due respect to the Thad supporters here, there is no controversy. Thad is gritty, tough and has made some nice plays. He has also looked like a QB that just came off the PS. He is Fitz with a better arm. Once teams get more than 3 games of footage on him he will be easier to defend. I have little faith in a Thad Lewis led team for 16 games. He is limited, went undrafted for a reason and was backing up KELLEN MOORE in Detroit two months ago. His ceiling may already have been reached. EJ has immense talent albeit he is a bit raw. But if you haven't recognized his talent, leadership and pure ability, you are clearly missing something

I agree with this, more or less (except for calling Lewis, "Fitz with a better arm"- I think that is a nonsensical comparison), but I am looking at it with a very different perspective. Lewis DOES look like a QB who just came off the practice squad. And, he has played one game for us- his second NFL game of his career. How will he look after a few more? Is there any reason to think he won't improve? Sure, his ceiling may have been reached. But, other than the fact that he wasn't drafted, is there any reason to assume that? There isn't any QB controversy now- I don't think anyone is saying that there is. But, if Lewis improves, and proves that he has a higher ceiling than you think he has, and wins us some games, maybe there should be.

Help me out here Captain. Can you point out what you've seen in his talent and pure ability that tells you he has "immense talent". Be specific please. To me, and I admit I may be clearly missing something, he looks a lot like Thaddeus who you say has already hit his cieling. Not sure how you can tell that, but I digress.

I do agree EJ has good leadership, but then again, so does Thaddeus.

I'm not saying Thaddeus should be the starter, just that we should keep an open mind. Let Thaddeus play until EJ is ready and then re evaluate. We don't have to decide anything today.

Thank you sir.

Things will change in 4 weeks. lets give her another looksie then !