Is Kyle Williams the problem with the run defense?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nope he is not. in general speak.

T

he whole defense has improved against the run in general. even though they have given away some plays. But they continue to improve , even those stiff LBs are reading better. Its anew system really and as each game goes the front seven seem to improve. To my untrained eye. Still making some mistakes .

But they no longer look lost !

Bengals beat us with screens and such that coach did not prep for.

Thats the NFL folks. Gotta take some chances. But more importantly is can Mike recover and will the team stay disciplined ?

I say yes to that.

Kyle is an asset all day. I also think he will be better used as Branch gets more snaps . His injury is bothering him it seems to me .

A reasonable question OP :thumbsup:

Edited by 3rdand12

By the same logic, Detroit is right behind us in run defense. Thus, Suh must be the problem right? http://espn.go.com/n...osition/defense

Pinning everything on one player in the ultimate team game is silly.

Except that Kyle - and I love him too - is the one common denominator over this time they have struggled on run D.

Sorry - it's not an unfair question.

The way to answer it is to go over the game film - not just the team stats - but the stats correlating with his presence make the game film worth a look.

Agreed. And if someone will JUST look at my charts :P you'll see our otherwise very good run defense numbers are skewed by a long carry here and there. FOR THE MOST part, runners get stuffed for 3 yards or fewer (60% of the time).

Just like third downs, the run defense is good, great, then shaky. But to say it's all bad ignores the fact that two thirds of the time it isn't.

What does it matter? Getting gashed for a big run a third of the time makes for a bad run defense just as much as giving up 4 yards every run. It's a different kind of underperformance but its still underperformance...

Except that Kyle - and I love him too - is the one common denominator over this time they have struggled on run D.

Sorry - it's not an unfair question.

The way to answer it is to go over the game film - not just the team stats - but the stats correlating with his presence make the game film worth a look.

Bob , i think we need to consider how Kyle has been used over his career. I expect this year he is in a much better postion to help the team.

Very wise to look at film. I always learn alot. and often more intrigueing than the game itself.

The game is time to drink beer and get emotional.

Tape/film/ replays is where the details are.

But analytics says........Kyle may be a problem . Fair enough someone start digging

Trying to use numbers from the whole defense to single out one player? Every member of the defense is responsible for only one gap. If you are saying Kyle is getting pushed around you just arent watching very closely. He controls his gap, and most of the time bliws up the o lineman assigned to him. He's not the greatest pass rusher ever, or the biggest playnaker getting off blocks, but he takes care of his responsibility and does it well. He is a good starter and were lucky to have him.

Oh and film wise... people have done that. Check out the all 22 ratings so far this year. He is one of the highest rated players on our defense.

I can tell just by watching that the Bills run defense is better than it was last year and that's a credit to Pettine. I don't think it's a problem per se, but it isn't really a strength either. I would characterize it as decent and good enough to win with. If the Bills want to take it up a notch and have an elite run defense then they are going to need a space eating NT/DT. Neither Williams nor Dareus qualifies as they are both penetrating types, IMO.

In this respect I would say that it's not just Williams, but the Williams-Dareus combination that limits how good the run defense can be. Of course the pass rush should benefit from this combination.

Edited by vincec

I can tell just by watching that the Bills run defense is better than it was last year and that's a credit to Pettine. I don't think it's a problem per se, but it isn't really a strength either. I would characterize it as decent and good enough to win with. If the Bills want to take it up a notch and have an elite run defense then they are going to need a space eating NT/DT. Neither Williams nor Dareus qualifies as they are both penetrating types, IMO.

In this respect I would say that it's not just Williams, but the Williams-Dareus combination that limits how good the run defense can be. Of course the pass rush should benefit from this combination.

and Branch might have been an effort in that regard i can dig. Not a true nose but a good signing being used more now

No. KW isn't even close to being the problem with the run defense. Watch closely, he VERY SELDOM gets pushed back and he commands a fair share of double teams as well.

Somebody upthread pointed out that KW has been the common denominator of poor run defenses stretching back several seasons now. That's inaccurate. The common denominator is the steady stream of crap LBs that have been drafted or otherwise acquired, sucked, and let go. Case in point: this year. Not a single LB was on the team or is playing the same position as last year.

If KW were the problem, each DC would have sought to let him go vs. getting rid of the LBs each year. He's the one consistent player they've had since he was drafted.

GO BILLS!!!

That ranking is murlarkey.

2 rushing TD's allowed through 6 games (T-2)

3.9 ypc through 6 games (T-12)--5 teams average 3.8

And these are very very relevant numbers considering only two teams have faced more rushing attempts (NYG, JAX 192 each) compared to our 189.

So, our TD to attempt ratio, is OFF THE CHARTS, in fact it's 3 in the league. Teams have to rush it almost 100 times to score a TD against us.

FINALLY!!!! Relevant statistics!!!

Not the problem. The D line has been decent this year, not dominant. Our run problems are mostly due to poor tackling and position by our mostly mediocre LB's. Kiko is a start but Bradham and Moats look very stiff and limited athletically. DL seems to be asserting themselves better so far.

But Bradham and Moats are hardly on the field. Hughes and Lawson have taken most of the reps.

I'm not going into statistics. I've made that mistake once before. I'd rather look at a more simpler look at things.

Here's the simple evaluation. If you take Kyle Williams off this team, the teams' defense gets worse. Plain and simple folks. Kyle Williams is one of the better players we have on this team but I don't need to sell you on that.

The guy is a beast and ABSOLUTELY hates to lose. If every guy in the locker room thought like Kyle, we'll be pulling more wins than losses. Trust me on that.

I can tell you in the Bengals game, Dareus was manhandled more times than I cared to count. It was the exact opposite of his performance in the Cleveland game.

This Dareus pick is looking more and more like an unfavorable one. I thought the defensive line was going to be impenetrable once we drafted him but, not the case. I still love the guy for WHO he is but I would rather have another Kyle Williams type to replace him if that adds any sense to the whole "is Kyle the problem" thread.

But Bradham and Moats are hardly on the field. Hughes and Lawson have taken most of the reps.

Moats is out there about a third of the time as an inside backer in Pettine's 34 fronts. He replaced Bradham earlier in the year because Bradham was playing so poorly and next to Lawson and Kiko, is the LB with the most playing time. Lawson was entrenched a SLB before getting hurt and Bradham replaced him. Hughes isn't listed as an LB and plays almost exclusively as a rush DE in Pettine's 40 fronts, which is well over half the time, I'd bet.

GO BILLS!!!

NO - and there is a very simple reason as to why.

The Bills, as a team, stink, however Kyle Williams is one of the few players that have been worth keeping around.

It is that simple. KW is good, very good, but its a team sport. The Bills have sucked forever but KW has been the only person worth keeping around.

Since 2006, the Bills TEAMS have been horrible. Bad players, bad coaching, bad everything. Actually this goes back further than 2006, which helps prove my point - its not KW's fault.

Every other McCargo, Tripplett, etc, that has been cut - its their fault

Is Kyle Williams the problem with the run defense?

Ask PFF and Joe Buscaglia. They watch each play and judge. They say no.

"Kyle Williams (71, 0, 2.7) had a frustrating first three quarters like most the rest of the defense. Whether it was issues with penalties or just getting pinned in by the Cincinnati offensive line, Williams didn't have his normal, disruptive contest.

"Year to date grades, ranked by aggregate GPA (minimum 100 plays)

1) ILB Kiko Alonso - 3.25

2) DL Kyle Williams - 3.14

3) DL Marcell Dareus - 3.09

4) SLB Manny Lawson - 3.07

5) HB Fred Jackson - 2.97

6) RLB Jerry Hughes - 2.87

7) WR Robert Woods - 2.84

8) LT Cordy Glenn - 2.81

9) WR Stevie Johnson - 2.77

10) TE Scott Chandler - 2.77

11) CB Nickell Robey - 2.76

12) C Eric Wood - 2.76

13) HB C.J. Spiller - 2.72

14) CB Leodis McKelvin - 2.71

15) DL Alan Branch - 2.71

16) DE Mario Williams - 2.70

17) RG Kraig Urbik - 2.67

18) DL Alex Carrington - 2.56

19) TE Lee Smith - 2.55

20) S Jim Leonhard - 2.52

21) ILB Arthur Moats - 2.51

22) QB EJ Manuel - 2.48

23) S Da'Norris Searcy - 2.48

24) RT Erik Pears - 2.48

25) S Aaron Williams - 2.35

26) WR T.J. Graham - 2.34

27) DL Corbin Bryant - 2.05

28) CB Justin Rogers - 1.74

29) LG Colin Brown - 1.30"

http://www.wgr550.com/two-bills-drive/17534230

Kyle has a bad wheels, he has been injured more often than not and I think it has hurt his game quite a bit. That being said he can only do so much against double teams.

They have to be thinking about replacing him and have him come of the bench. The run D has not been bad but it can can be better.

LB in the first round like Kiko this year would help for next year. I like what Lawson has done this year. We hit on another LB next spring and watch the run D get even better.