Official Bills Only-Talk Thread - PPP Style

Please tell me why we should give up after five games.

I am in no way saying give up. In fact, I'm arguing the opposite. Don't give up. Don't assume EJ will magically become the guy. If he becomes the guy, great. Keep drafting until he does. Also, just so happens, if you watch him play you can see he is bad.

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in no way saying give up. In fact, I'm arguing the opposite. Don't give up. Don't assume EJ will magically become the guy. If he becomes the guy, great. Keep drafting until he does. Also, just so happens, if you watch him play you can see he is bad.

No, you're saying don't develop him, just keep him looking over his shoulder until he succeeds or fails.

That's even stupider...that's assuming he can ONLY become successful via some magical process in no way involving actual coaching and development. That is EXTREMELY retarded.

No, you're saying don't develop him, just keep him looking over his shoulder until he succeeds or fails.

That's even stupider...that's assuming he can ONLY become successful via some magical process in no way involving actual coaching and development. That is EXTREMELY retarded.

So by develop you mean coddle and devote eras of wasted Bills football? EJ has several games left this season when he comes back, all offseason, all preseason, and a huge heads up on the league and play book on any rookie we bring in. If looking over his shoulder at some new pick we bring in tanks him and the new pick plays better...then the new pick is the QB of the Bills and we are the better for it.

What you are describing is ancient thinking and one of the prime reasons the Bills and other bad teams stay bad.

You need to COACH someone that girl on the side lines waving a pom-pom is not a eligible receiver?

You need to COACH someone that girl on the side lines waving a pom-pom is not a eligible receiver?

Yes if you only coach people they thrown balls like world class qbs. But you have to coach them. There had better not be anyone competing with them either. lol

Edited by SameOldBills

No you can't see that.

I get the frustration: Wilson, Luck, RG3, Kap, etc. tons of young QB talent in the league and we get a non-marque talent like EJ Manuel. But that's who we have so we have to go with it. He's got talent, he needs time; his WRs need time to grow and develop. His running game needs to get sorted out, etc. you can't possibly give up on a rookie QB for at least two more years. And drafting another high pick QB = giving up on EJM.

Edited by KD in CT

No you can't see that.

I get the frustration: Wilson, Luck, RG3, Kap, etc. tons of young QB talent in the league and we get a non-marque talent like EJ Smith. But that's who we have so we have to go with it. He's got talent, he needs time; his WRs need time to grow and develop. His running game needs to get sorted out, etc. you can't possibly give up on a rookie QB for at least two more years. And drafting another high pick QB = giving up on Smith.

Who is EJ smith? Ej Manuel and geno smith had an un natural love child??

Who know how the draft will unfold, but seeing as how there's no viable b/u QB on the roster, if a viable prospect (e.g. Murray, Mettenberger, McCarron, Manzelli) drops to the 3rd, we could pick him up a la Kirk Cousins. That way they don't have to put EJ on notice, and we get a viable b/u and/or prospect so if this time next year EJ is still playing like a rookie we're already training his replacement.

Bad as in irreparable bad? Because to my untrained and uneducated eye, he's been the best prospect the team has had since RJ. And before you start laughing, the USC dolt had a lot of talent but just couldn't get out of his own way. If there was a way to harness his talent, then he'd truly be a great QB. Obviously it didn't happen. So EJ has the athletic tools that surpass RJ. He's accomplished more than RJ did in college. He beat Florida, something RJ never did against UCLA. He won bowl games So it's not like he hadn't performed under pressure.

So by develop you mean coddle and devote eras of wasted Bills football?

No way I'm qualified to drive a team, but you don't need a lot of sense to know it takes a complete dumbass to spend two consecutive first-round draft picks on a quarterback...just in case your last pick doesn't pan out.

You're basing this on your firm belief EJ will never become a SB-winning NFL quarterback, and odds are you're probably right. But your alternate plan is to tank it every year until you get the right quartertback.

You're thinking makes no logical sense in any way. Do you speak this logic out loud to people? What is the look on their face when you suggest this? Do they nod like you have a point or do they look at your like you're batschittmuftherpuckinglooniebins?

No way I'm qualified to drive a team, but you don't need a lot of sense to know it takes a complete dumbass to spend two consecutive first-round draft picks on a quarterback...just in case your last pick doesn't pan out.

You're basing this on your firm belief EJ will never become a SB-winning NFL quarterback, and odds are you're probably right. But your alternate plan is to tank it every year until you get the right quartertback.

You're thinking makes no logical sense in any way. Do you speak this logic out loud to people? What is the look on their face when you suggest this? Do they nod like you have a point or do they look at your like you're batschittmuftherpuckinglooniebins?

First off I like EJ and don't want to give up on him, just want to get that out of the way. I do agree with that for the most part. BUT

I would draft one again in the 3rd or higher rounds, just in case Russel Wilson was there (or Cousins). I think it is worth doing, the league and game are different these days, next years draft class being compared to 1983. Last years being a pretty bad one, EJ is learning and has some question marks. New coaches want a new QB and the team needed one. You build a team through the draft, depth included.

On the other hand, if the GUY falls to where ever they are in the first and they like him better than EJ (who they should have more an idea about by that point). They (the FO) should do it, if they think so. QBs are the most important players these days so waiting, in the sense/way that teams used to, is a disadvantage.

I do think that you don't give up on EJ though, he stays the starter until he gets hurt or stinks it up real bad. In some ways competition even in a QB position, is a good thing. They all go through this in college ball, they should be able to deal, if they are good. It isn't bad to have a decent Qb as back up or even trade bait. It depends on what the FO wants and considers his ceiling after the season. Next years draft is an opportunity though, you do have to see that.

Once again, never said tank it every year. I'm saying...very clearly...just take another QB high next year. That doesn't mean tank or give up on EJ. We haven't had a qb in forever, we took EJ, we still don't have a QB. Maybe we will one day, but we do not today. Take QBs. TAke a lot of them.

No you can't see that.

I get the frustration: Wilson, Luck, RG3, Kap, etc. tons of young QB talent in the league and we get a non-marque talent like EJ Manuel. But that's who we have so we have to go with it. He's got talent, he needs time; his WRs need time to grow and develop. His running game needs to get sorted out, etc. you can't possibly give up on a rookie QB for at least two more years. And drafting another high pick QB = giving up on EJM.

I have no problem giving up on EJ if he doesn't look like he will be a guy who will win games for you next season. By that, I mean a real difference maker.

If he is not.......just keep looking.

I agree that EJ does not have the look of an elite QB........he kind of reminds me of Phil Simms.......a guy with good enough skills and the mental makeup you want.......but as a young player he seems to be a long way from harnessing his talent. He isn't a natural QB but he has the skills to be molded.

Unfortunately, this isn't the NFL of 5 year plans that Phil Simms arrived into.

If EJ doesn't show big potential this season............and this injury will make that hard to do.........it is already time to draft another QB.

It's not like if EJ develops 3 years from now that the Bills will have missed on the only good QB in the past 3 years.

The current NFL is very QB friendly and the players coming in are much more pro-ready so there will continue to be many more quality QB's coming into the league.

You just can't shortchange yourself at the QB position.

How long until the idiots start to talk about how great of a pick Dareus was? How long until he is outperforming the two guys ahead of him will they finally realize he was not the awful pick they had thought!

Von Miller had 18.5 sacks last season. 30 in 32 games. He has been a difference maker. Dareus has not. We all know Dareus had to deal with personal tragedy last year, but he wasn't just mediocre last year....he was awful. He has played a few very good games of late. I am interested to see him perform tomorrow. He probably played the best game of his career last week on national TV..... we will see what he does when the spotlight is off and when Geno Atkins.....maybe the most dominant DT in the AFC in recent years.....is on the other side of the field. I was not one of those people attacking the pick of Dareus.....it was a solid pick based on the information available.....but he has to keep it up for a whole season before he matches the impact that Miller and Newton have had in their first two seasons in the NFL. To this point Dareus has barely scraped together a half dozen good games in 2 1/3 seasons, mainly due to conditioning......a fact that was often denied....but is now being credited for his recent turnaround.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

I'm curious how many of you pricks think the Bills have a chance today?

lol. I'm gonna get burnt in this one probably, but a very good one. I'm one of the people that thinks Lewis might be better than EJ for the time being because of experience. He's hot a very quick release, and a nice deep ball. Maybe, just maybe we see Graham and or Goodwin get into the mix today. Lets hope right. The game has to be about the defense and the running game tho. Even though I think he might be better right now, he's still not going to win us any games at the moment. Just play not to lose for Lewis and we should be fine.