What are the 3 MOST IMPORTANT THINGS for building a championship team

PolishDave

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The most successful Super Bowl winning quarterbacks over the last 20-30 years - Tom Brady, Joe Montana - did the majority of their damage with short/underneath throws.

True. In my opinion the reason why those underneath throws were often there for those guys is because the defense was trying to takeaway their deep threat.

Both of those QB's are/were proven home run throwers. So the threat was there even when they were throwing shorter passes. They throw short underneath routes because defenses are more willing to give them that than a homerun pass. Teams would gameplan to take away those big homerun plays.

I'd say you have to have, in order of importance: Great coaching - that sets the stage for high performance units. At least one of the offense or defense has to be great; a great offense, or a great defense, can get a team to a championship. Whichever unit isn't great must be good at something (running or passing on offense, or pass pressure/run stopping on defense). Basically, if I were a coach I'd look at my team and build around whichever unit has special talent, to the point that it is exceptional -and I'd be sure the coach of said unit was equally able to take advantage of that talent. Then, I'd make sure the other unit was good at at least one phase of its game.

My opinion listed in order of importance:

1) Must have an above average run stopping defense

2) Must have an awesome pass rush (close to best in the league)

3) Must have a consistent deep threat passing the ball that other teams fear constantly

I am a firm believer in the idea that you are better off having an above average defense rather than an above average offense if you could only have one or the other. I believe that because I think it is easier to play consistently good defense than it is to play consistently good offense.

So, if I was a head coach in the NFL, those three attributes would be the three top things on my “overall philosophy” of building a championship team.

I am excited for the Bills because I see them getting much better at number one and two. Actually I believe that is the only reason that our games this season haven't been one sided blowouts against us.

I am not too optimistic about number three on my list given the way that the Bills have been playing so far this year.

What is your take?

Take a look at the recent Super Bowl Winners.

It is the opposite of your statement.

#1 - GM talent evaluator

#2 - QB starting

#3 - QB backup

Most overrated thing ever. Polian - inherited Kelly, drafted Peyton with #1 overall pick

Belichick - drafted Brady in the 6th

Walsh - drafted Montana in the 3rd

Whoever Indy's GM is now - drafted Luck #1 overall and is now considered a good GM.

The best GM in the NFL is Ozzie Newsome. He builds great teams. Because of the teams he builds, you can win a SB with a guy like Flacco. IF Flacco was the QB of pretty much any other team, he's not a SB winner.

Break this down anyway you want, but this league is so simple. Find a great QB. When you do, everything else falls into place. The talent level between the Bills and PAts is so small. But when you have a top 5 ever QB, you are a contender while the Bills struggled to get to .500. Let's pray EJ is the guy.