CJ Spiller health and performance thread

rayray808

First - Spiller is only being held back by his ankle. Otherwise he's fine regardless of the "scheme". Seems conspiracy theorists are always looking for another reason/answer. It's not Hackett. Let's give him a fair shot (Healthy starting QB + 2 Healthy RB's + 2 Healthy Receivers), then if we fall all over ourselves we can start to look at scheme.

Marrone reported Lawson and Spiller should be "good to go" on Hose's morning show.

What I'm more interested in is how the TEAM will do. We played KC the last two years - there - and killed them both times. It'll be interesting to see if we can do it again, at home. I like our chances and like how Marrone is playing the starting QB close to the vest. If we can score 3 TD's, I like our chances. KC has only played teams with losing records and no one as physical as Buffalo. I was nervous about facing the Saints last week. I can't wait to play the Chiefs Sunday - snow showers & 38 degrees are forecasted!

Go Bills!!!

Last year's game was in Buffalo. The Bills must commit to running the ball. The Chefs are bringing it in the pass rush, and I'd like to see a 40+ rush attempt day out of the Bills. KC also hasn't allowed an opponent more than 17 points, so your 3 TD comment speaks for itself.

If Buffalo does not wind up negative in the TO battle this game will be low scoring and close to the end.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what is a high ankle sprain? Aren't they all? I have never heard of a low ankle sprain

How have you never heard of a high ankle sprain versus a low ankle sprain? Don't mean that in a rude way, just surprised based on how that it's talked about by everyone when an ankle injury happens. I mean every single time someone twists their ankle the first thing they say is that they hope it's not the high ankle sprain that takes long to heal and that it's only a low ankle sprain. Look up Zak Stacy last week as a reference. Luckily he got good news that it was the low ankle sprain meaning he may play this week or miss maybe only a week where as a high ankle sprain would potentially keep him out for several weeks for it to heal.

Edited by Alphadawg7

One year with a yards per carry the league hasn't seen since Jim Brown was playing against defensive linemen who were smaller than high. 1,200 yards & 6 ypc & now a high ankle sprain & 4 ypc. Spiller sucks.

OK, enough with that stat.....you guys saw that stat like halfway thru the year when Spiller was averaging closer to 7.0 ypc and as he got more carries it went down steadily.

It was a fine average on a VERY modest number of carries, but then there is:

Jamal Charles..... 6.4 ypc and 1467 yards in 2010.

Take that Jim Brown fans!

In fact, coming into this year, Jamal Charles was the all-time leading ypc rusher in NFL history with a CAREER AVERAGE of 5.79 ypc.

Is anybody really considering Jamal Charles as one of the greatest RB's of all time though?

I think not.

Point is......in a league where yards are consumed in chunks thru the air, defenses today just aren't focused on run stopping. They will let you run the ball for 60 yards every 10 rushes while they pass over you for touchdowns, take the lead, and leave your run reliant offense to play catch-up.

A guy like Spiller, he can break a long one for you...maybe score a TD.....and kill several other drives with east and west running. That's not an even tradeoff anymore. We have seen it firsthand this season, Spiller as an everydown back often struggles to keep the chains moving when he is the focal point of the offense. Third and 3 is a passing down when CJ is in the game, that's wouldn't be the case if he were a great player.

With all due respect to Fred Jackson......if you can't unseat Fred Jackson you ain't no OJ Simpson.

CJ is a modern day Terry Metcalf.....a player who can make great plays but is not a great player.

As for 6 ypc.......that is also what AP averaged last year on like 60% more carries.

CJ is a modern day Terry Metcalf.....a player who can make great plays but is not a great player.

At least so far in his career my opinion exactly. Break one for 40 yards followed by 3 for no gain and out and you have a 10 YPC but the team has no points to show for it. That is CJ in a nutshell so far to me.

OK, enough with that stat.....you guys saw that stat like halfway thru the year when Spiller was averaging closer to 7.0 ypc and as he got more carries it went down steadily.

So you are saying no one considered his 5.1 average in six games as a starter after Fred went down on '11 as something to build on?

Jamal Charles..... 6.4 ypc and 1467 yards in 2010.

Awesome year by JC, and he remains one of the true beast RBs in the game.

Is anybody really considering Jamal Charles as one of the greatest RB's of all time though?

I think not.

Just because you may think something, does not make it true.

A cursory glance at his career trajectory shows a player on pace for 10,000 career rushing yards and 4000 career receiving yards. That's Hall of Fame production therefore, and dare i say, on pace to be one of the greatest RBs of all time.

The most productive thing Terry Metcalf ever did on a football field was produce Eric. Spiller's young career is already superior to Terry's lifetime body of work.

Look, in order to truly discredit Spiller and have anyone take you seriously, you have to include his body of work dating back to the end of 2011, which makes your case less plausible. He carried the load admirably after Freddy went down and continued that production into 2012, which reduces your argument to nothing more than opposing teams did not prepare for him. If that's what you are saying, then that's their fault. My expectation is that he was thoroughly prepared for, based on what we know about NFL coaches' work habits.

I'm not saying he's an every down down grinder like AP, but comparing him to Terry freaking Metcalf is below you. You can do far better than that.

Edited by Thurmal34

Doesn't anyone see the cliche'd silliness of this oft-repeated statement?

Essentially what it says is get him away from tacklers and he'll be fine. Isn't that the goal on every play, find the open guy or create big enough holes, the bigger the better, so that players have space.

I can't speak for others, but when I say "in space" it refers to two different types of RBs, with two different skill sets and running styles.

The first type of RB's strengths are finesse, agility and speed, The ability to weave and swerve repeatedly without losing balance and still being able to maintain speed. Those covering him are slowed down or lose their balance when they try to repeat his maneuvers. Think of the aerial maneuvers of the jets in Top Gun. It is about the advantage of speed and maneuverability, not overwhelming firepower.

The other is like a tank on the battlefield. Their strength is pure bulk and overwhelming firepower. It not is about finesse. It is about bulldozing your way over your opponent and dragging them with you based on your strength, power and your overwhelming forward momentum. Yes, it is also about diagnosing the clearest path and picking it properly and letting the other "tanks" bulldoze a path for you.

Those are two very different backs and skill sets. They are used to set up two very different offensive schemes.

CJ is the first type of back, not the 2nd. He is exceptional at that style. Yes he needs to learn to be more patient for his blockers to set up and clear a path for him, but in space there are not a lot of blockers, maybe a few quick bumps and re-directions (screens) by your teammates It is just you and them, one on one.

When your OC tries to put an RB in the first category in the plow em over in traffic play, he is wasting the skills and strengths of that RB. He is opening him up for injury and failure. Usually the plow em over back has the size, durability and bulk to survive that type of punishment. The agile RB has a different body type.

That is what we mean by "in space". Where you out maneuver your opponent, who is probably a smaller, faster LB, corner or safety and you have the space to move about in. Not in the middle where your opponents are all 300+ DL mountains twice your size and all stacked up.

As they told us in HS. Always choose and use the right tool for the right job, You don't use a sledge hammer to pound in finishing nails, or a tack hammer to smash up concrete.

Edited by simpleman

So you are saying no one considered his 5.1 average in six games as a starter after Fred went down on '11 as something to build on?

Awesome year by JC, and he remains one of the true beast RBs in the game.

Just because you may think something, does not make it true.

A cursory glance at his career trajectory shows a player on pace for 10,000 career rushing yards and 4000 career receiving yards. That's Hall of Fame production therefore, and dare i say, on pace to be one of the greatest RBs of all time.

The most productive thing Terry Metcalf ever did on a football field was produce Eric. Spiller's young career is already superior to Terry's lifetime body of work.

Look, in order to truly discredit Spiller and have anyone take you seriously, you have to include his body of work dating back to the end of 2011, which makes your case less plausible. He carried the load admirably after Freddy went down and continued that production into 2012, which reduces your argument to nothing more than opposing teams did not prepare for him. If that's what you are saying, then that's their fault. My expectation is that he was thoroughly prepared for, based on what we know about NFL coaches' work habits.

I'm not saying he's an every down down grinder like AP, but comparing him to Terry freaking Metcalf is below you. You can do far better than that.

Regarding your first point.......C.Biscuit97 claimed that CJ's ypc average last season was the highest since Jim Brown. When you post numbers on here a lot of people take that as having been fact checked and that is blatantly incorrect.

Is Jamal Charles HOF bound? I highly doubt it. 10K yards rushing doesn't get it done anymore. Wills McGahee is pushing 10K. Charles is a more productive back than Spiller but in the end I don't think anyone figures he will get the Curtis Martin type rushing yardage numbers that are now the floor for HOF perfomrance by a RB.

I don't care if you like the Metcalf comparison or not. If you think CJ is a great running back, you won't like it. But remember, the measure of greatness for a RB in the 1970's was 1,000 yards in a 14 game season. In this yardage de-valued era that number is probably 1400. Metcalf never reached 1,000 and the truth is that in 7 years combined at Clemson and in Buffalo CJ has only cleared that obsolete 1,000 yard number twice. That isn't greatness or the start of a HOF career by any means. CJ is 26 years old, in his prime, this was a big year. Maybe he rips off 950 in the final 7 games and reaches that 1400 yard number but until he does he isn't even in the category of the leagues great producing backs.