[closed]So What About Our QB & Our Future ?

T master

So i have been reading that next year could be another historic year for Qb's coming out in the draft , such as the year that we picked up Kelly . That year always referring as we well know to Kelly , Marino, & Elway .

This coming year there will be the likes of Boyd , McCarron , Murray, & Mettenburg , just to mention a few.

So if we are on the board & say for the sake of this post & that my 2 personal favorites either Boyd or McCarron are there at our pick do you take them ? Murray is looking pretty good too ...

We did go for EJ this year but it has been said that he as taken to high & if by chance you can get another QB that has a huge resume & shows to be a better pick up (NFL wise) as far as upside do you n fact go for it & then have the possibility of picking up draft picks with the trade of one of the QB's that you have acquired like the Pats have so often done .

Or do you just let that guy slide by & go after the guy on your board as we did with McCargo, Whitner, & of coarse who could forget Maybin ? And let Orapko, Matthews, Nata, & others slip by.

Not to mention R. Wilson or A. Dalton .

Just wondering what you all may think of this very real situation that could be there next year given what has happened in our recent past ...

So i have been reading that next year could be another historic year for Qb's coming out in the draft , such as the year that we picked up Kelly . That year always referring as we well know to Kelly , Marino, & Elway .

This coming year there will be the likes of Boyd , McCarron , Murray, & Mettenburg , just to mention a few.

So if we are on the board & say for the sake of this post & that my 2 personal favorites either Boyd or McCarron are there at our pick do you take them ? Murray is looking pretty good too ...

We did go for EJ this year but it has been said that he as taken to high & if by chance you can get another QB that has a huge resume & shows to be a better pick up (NFL wise) as far as upside do you n fact go for it & then have the possibility of picking up draft picks with the trade of one of the QB's that you have acquired like the Pats have so often done .

Or do you just let that guy slide by & go after the guy on your board as we did with McCargo, Whitner, & of coarse who could forget Maybin ? And let Orapko, Matthews, Nata, & others slip by.

Not to mention R. Wilson or A. Dalton .

Just wondering what you all may think of this very real situation that could be there next year given what has happened in our recent past ...

The answer is simple: we don't know yet. Let the season play out. If Manuel comes back and really progresses, then maybe you take the top WR in the draft or maybe an OL. If he continues to play middling football, then a Taj Boyd may be too much to pass up. I think we'll have a clearer picture by January.

You don't want to trash EJ's confidence after only one year, but I would say you sit him down and say look, we need a solid backup QB because if you go down we are tanked. We want to develop a new rookie since there are no good ones on the market, so we're going to draft one. Then we give EJ about 2-3 years and if it doesn't work out then we'll have another (hopefully) decent option.

If the Bills manage to get an okay draft pick out of Byrd that would be a bonus because it would also be worrisome to waste a high pick on a QB when we're struggling elsewhere.

This will be an unpopular view, but I would definitely take a QB in the first round if there is a very good one is available. I have read that some scouts are already projecting that nine college QBs will have first round grades going into the draft. I think competition is a good thing, and we may not have an opportunity like this in the near future.

With only a scant 11 games left to play and several months of off season personnel high jinx to get through, it is way too late to address this issue. We should have had this discussion after the opening day loss to the Patriots. Surely our personnel needs for next year, our draft position and worth of this year's crop of talent was as clear as could be by then. Our draft strategy should have already been laid out long before now. This conversation is, sadly, being had a day late and a dollar short.

I will say this, Marrone, Whaley, Brandon & Co. will not sit back and let a solid QB pass on by if they don't think EJ is progressing to be a franchise QB. They seem very in tune with needing a franchise QB to build any sort of winner here and that is the case for every team.

I really see this group of management for the Bills going after a QB unless Manuel steps it up when he comes back.

It's plainly obvious the Bills should draft a first round QB next year. That does not mean they give up on EJ. Have him compete with another talented first-rounder for the starting job. If he can beat out, say, Manziel for the job, I would be very surprised but it would make EJ a better QB and imbue him with great confidence having won a fierce competition. Everything good in life is earned.

The only way to be a successful NFL franchise year in and year out is to have a good QB. If you don't have one, your only job should be to do everything possible to have one. Why would we be satisfied firing only one bullet at that target of having a good QB? An injury-prone and inaccurate bullet at that. Put more bullets in the cylinder and keep firing until you hit. Risking everything on your one bullet hitting the target is insane.

While it is a complete overreaction to call Manuel "injury prone" or inaccurate (much too early to tell), you must look at the big picture. This franchise hasn't had an elite QB since Kelly, who has been retired for the majority of two decades. The book is still out on EJ, and we see the results of not having an adequate backup. Going forward, it's not crazy to say this team should draft a QB every year until they find one. Unless Manuel returns fairly early and continues progressing in a major way, the record will probably allow us a shot at one of the top QB's in April. Competition will always elevate one's game. In the instance you end up with two quality signal callers, other teams will always be interested. Not a bad problem to have. It is the most important position on the field, and unless we have a Manning or Luck on our hands, a QB should be the pick.

This will be an unpopular view, but I would definitely take a QB in the first round if there is a very good one is available. I have read that some scouts are already projecting that nine college QBs will have first round grades going into the draft. I think competition is a good thing, and we may not have an opportunity like this in the near future.

There is no question that the Bills need to draft a QB this year. (Witness the Tuel fiasco.) The question is, "How high?" If EJ performs reasonably well after his return, then the pick would most likely be a mid-round selection, who would be expected to back up EJ next year. If that mid-round selection proves to be much better than his draft position would suggest, like Russell Wilson, then he might have a chance to play right away if EJ fails to impress. On the other hand, if EJ tanks this year after returning from his injury, which would also mean the Bills will have a top-five or so selection, then I think they would have to look at taking a QB in round one again, given the high number of outstanding prospects that will probably be available this year.

[This is an automated response]

This subject matter is being currently being discussed or has already been discussed in a previous thread.

Please consider using the "search" function before starting new topics.

Thank you.