Trade Steve Johnson to Atlanta if the offer is right?

Dean Cain

Trade Stevie?  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Should The Bills Explore Trading Steve Johnson to Atlanta?

2. 2. If Yes, what would be a suitable draft pick?

Let me preface the following by saying I think Steve Johnson is a good #2 slot receiver option and will be for the next 3-5 years. Steve Johnson appears to be near the height of his athletic and professional ability. At 27 it appears we have seen the ceiling of Johnson's statistical ability, and that is around 70 catches for 1,000 yards and 6 touchdowns per season. While these numbers don't jump off the stat sheet they are good starting WR in the NFL numbers.

Atlanta has been devastated at the WR position with injuries to Julio Jones & Roddy White. Atlanta coerced Tony Gonzalez out of retirement for one last swan song. With the hope that they could do for him what Pittsburgh did for Jerome Bettis in 2005, culminating in a Super Bowl victory.

Now the question must be asked. If you were Doug Whaley would you at least entertain trading your star WR to Atlanta? The argument can be made that 2013 was always about setting up the Bills for years to come. While Steve Johnson will only be 28 in 2014, it appears that there is depth at the WR position for Buffalo.

http://www.usatoday....injury/2945893/ Smith said the Falcons, on a bye week, will look at "all options" for replacing Jones. Wide receivers who might be available by trade include Kenny Britt of the Tennessee Titans and Hakeem Nicks of the New York Giants. Britt was benched earlier this season, and Nicks is in a contract year with disappointing numbers on a 0-5 team.

I understand this would be an unpopular choice among the fan base, as #13 jerseys proliferate any Sunday Bills gathering. This decision would be likened to "tanking" the season a la Cleveland trading their best player Trent Richardson to Indianapolis for a 1st round pick in 2014.

One could argue the merits of tanking a season given the results of recent #1 overall draft picks. Additionally I understand that Jairus Byrd is the player most Bills fans want to trade. Steve Johnson chose to stay in Buffalo for a fair value. Johnson has embraced Buffalo, and in turn we have been willing to forgive him for his occasional drops, and antics.

What say you?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a first rounder? No question.

But that's not a price Atlanta is likely to pay at 1-4. If they were 4-1 they might be more willing to make a bold move.

From the Bills' perspective, the advantage to Atlanta being 1-4 is that their first rounder will presumably be worth that much more. If the Falcons aren't willing to give up their first rounder in return for Stevie, then the Bills should keep doing what they're doing.

They Falcons do not need a SJ type of receiver. If you watch the games they are missing a deep threat option that Ryan loves in Julio Jones. I also think that while we like SJ in Buffalo he is seen more as a possesion type of receiver around the league. Ryan has Gonzalez for that. Ryan also has Harry Douglas. I doubt highly the Falcons will make this type of move unless Thomas D and Mike Smith feel they will be fired if the Falcons do not make the playoffs.

I would do tj graham for a 1st rounder this year and a 2nd next. Get r done, dougie!!

typical WGR caller, let's call him Stan from Cheektowaga (In thick Buffalo accent): First thing they gotta do is fire Regehr. It all starts at the top. Then you go out and ya trade Stafford and Sekera and ya bring in Getzlaf...

NO

The reason we have such a great receiving corps is our depth. Stevie usually draws the top CB of the opposing team opening up Woods and Graham to work some magic. Granted, Woods played very well against Haden last week, but there is still no reason to give up the WR corps that we have. If we trade away our top WR to improve another aspect of our game, next year we'll be complaining about not having a good enough receiving squad.

typical WGR caller, let's call him Stan from Cheektowaga (In thick Buffalo accent): First thing they gotta do is fire Regehr. It all starts at the top. Then you go out and ya trade Stafford and Sekera and ya bring in Getzlaf...

Hahahaha this had me rolling.

Joe in Hamburg here (15 Blues deep) the Sabes need to trade Miller for Rinne and two 1st rounders, take those 2 1sts and give'em to Pitt for Sid the Kid, he's been banged up so we should get him on the cheap. I don't know why Regehr can't get this don.