Obama Weighs in on Redskins Name

Bronc24

Of course, last November, Snyder and the Washington Redskins honored a group of Navajo Code Talkers

—Native American veterans who developed an unbreakable code for relaying messages during WWII—who came out wearing team jackets.

but heck, I'm sure that we can find some dirt and call them tokens too...............if it helps your 'argument'

lead_large.png

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is only one relevant fact on this topic: The number of people who GENUINELY care about this topic can be counted on the hand of a bad woodshop teacher.

That's demonstrably false. So far, your one fact is bull ****. You're off to a great start.

When enough people care, the stadium will be empty. That's the way it works. Idiots like Tim Graham aren't going to MAKE the rest of us care about this topic.

Which is why what Snyder did was so funny.

That's not how it'll go down. But based on your complete ignorance on this topic, it's par for the course.

What's funny is you think Snyder did it to be funny. He didn't.

Why didn't you just link to the Deadspin article that you gathered your "disgraced" spin from?

The other sources just mention that he was there.

Where is the official "Token" list for the left kept ?

Didn't take it from Deadspin, but thanks for that. This isn't about right vs left, so I'm not sure what your final point is here...

Of course, last November, Snyder and the Washington Redskins honored a group of Navajo Code Talkers

—Native American veterans who developed an unbreakable code for relaying messages during WWII—who came out wearing team jackets.

but heck, I'm sure that we can find some dirt and call them tokens too...............if it helps your 'argument'

lead_large.png

I'm not making an argument, LA is. He's just going about it completely wrong.

That's demonstrably false. So far, your one fact is bull ****. You're off to a great start.

Show me where people care. And I mean enough people to affect change. I'm not talking about a flailing president shilling for votes or a two-bit sportswriter trying to make himself relevant. Where are the crowds? Where are the protests? Where are all the Native Americans standing together by the tens of thousands, walking in DC against this travesty? Where is Roger Goodell and Sports Illustrated and athletes everywhere calling for a change?

There are none. You know why? Because nobody gives a flying phuck about this stupid topic beyond a handful of progressives who are tired of talking about global warming cooling climate change.

What's funny is you think Snyder did it to be funny. He didn't.

What I wrote was that he did it to piss people off. Not to be funny. You'd realize this is you weren't so pissed off about what Snyder did. :lol:

Show me where people care. And I mean enough people to affect change. I'm not talking about a flailing president shilling for votes or a two-bit sportswriter trying to make himself relevant. Where are the crowds? Where are the protests? Where are all the Native Americans standing together by the tens of thousands, walking in DC against this travesty? Where is Roger Goodell and Sports Illustrated and athletes everywhere calling for a change?

There are none. You know why? Because nobody gives a flying phuck about this stupid topic beyond a handful of progressives who are tired of talking about global warming cooling climate change.

The movement for change isn't coming from progressives, that's why your understanding of this topic is so flawed and also why B-Man is foaming at the mouth for no reason. It's coming from a handful of tribal organizations. The fact that social media and, yes, progressives picked up on it doesn't make it their movement. It makes it more annoying, yes, and more sensationalized, true. But this is a debate that has been going on for decades, lead by tribal organizations who find the term offensive. I understand that you think it's okay to tell them how to feel about it (which is ironic considering the anti-thought-police strain inherent in your position), but it still makes you sound like a dick to claim you know for a fact no one cares.

And there probably would be "tens of thousands" of Native Americans marching... if there were that many left. We did kind of make it hard for them to form any sort of sizable movement, did we not? Or is your understanding of history as shallow as well?

What I wrote was that he did it to piss people off. Not to be funny. You'd realize this is you weren't so pissed off about what Snyder did. :lol:

You didn't piss me off, I don't have a dog in this fight. But I do realize you were just mouthing off. My tone was terse because I'm posting on the fly. :beer:

The only people who care about this contrived "controversy" are white people who want to feel good about being racially sensitive and Indians who want to milk the victim status for all it's worth. The fact that this has become such a big issue shows how insanely racially hypersensitive we've become. The anti-racism impulse is so ingrained it's automatic and does not require a logical thought process. As long as we can associate something with the word "racism" it's automatically bad.

It's to the point we've forgotten why we became opposed to racism in the first place. Does anyone think that the Redskins name is going to lead to discrimination, segregation, or genocide? Really? Are Indians going to have trouble fitting into society because the name Redskins? If it didn't refer to skin would anyone give a flying !@#$? I don't see the mass outrage over the Cleveland Indians or Atlanta Braves. I don't see people in Texas flipping out over being used as a Mascot. Are prosecutors protesting San Diego?

The bottom line is that nobody would name their team something they thought had a negative connotation. Who do you think Tony the Tiger's favorite baseball team is? Who do you think Yogi Bear's favorite team is? If Leif Ericson's body was dug out of the ice and cryogenically restored to funcionality, what team do you think he'd cheer for? It's an honor to have a team named for your likeness. If there was a team called the Tall Skinny White Guys I'd have to bale on the Bills and jump on board.

And honestly, how many people were on this crusade 10 years ago? A bunch of yahoos get some wild hair up their ass and the media jumps on board and thousands of fans dutifully follow suit and decide to be outraged because the TV told them to be.

And as a part Indian (small part - Elizabeth Warren style) with an Indian wife (her dad's straight off the reservation. literally) and a part Indian child, I can say that I'm not offended at all, even a little bit, and other Indians who are need thicker red skin.

The movement for change isn't coming from progressives, that's why your understanding of this topic is so flawed and also why B-Man is foaming at the mouth for no reason. It's coming from a handful of tribal organizations. The fact that social media and, yes, progressives picked up on it doesn't make it their movement. It makes it more annoying, yes, and more sensationalized, true. But this is a debate that has been going on for decades, lead by tribal organizations who find the term offensive. I understand that you think it's okay to tell them how to feel about it (which is ironic considering the anti-thought-police strain inherent in your position), but it still makes you sound like a dick to claim you know for a fact no one cares.

And there probably would be "tens of thousands" of Native Americans marching... if there were that many left. We did kind of make it hard for them to form any sort of sizable movement, did we not? Or is your understanding of history as shallow as well?

I know my history very well. It was right there in my school textbooks. Republicans killed all the injuns right before they decided to start hanging all the colored people.

There are millions of American Indians. Millions. Let me know when they start caring about this and then I'll give it some attention.

Please. Look around. It's another in a long list of issues American's just don't give a crap about.

I know my history very well. It was right there in my school textbooks. Republicans killed all the injuns right before they decided to start hanging all the colored people.

God bless public edjyookayshun

There are millions of American Indians. Millions.

That's not the consensus

The fact that this has become such a big issue shows how insanely racially hypersensitive we've become. The anti-racism impulse is so ingrained it's automatic and does not require a logical thought process. As long as we can associate something with the word "racism" it's automatically bad.

this

I said this in the Ditka thread: If you're so incensed about how the USA (people and government) have in the past, and continue to treat Native Americans, then I'm certain that you can find a multitude of ways to show support (financially and /or physically) to Native American causes far better than this meaningless gesture. This is a progressive "feel-good" movement; nothing more, nothing less.

The only people who care about this contrived "controversy" are white people who want to feel good about being racially sensitive and Indians who want to milk the victim status for all it's worth. The fact that this has become such a big issue shows how insanely racially hypersensitive we've become. The anti-racism impulse is so ingrained it's automatic and does not require a logical thought process. As long as we can associate something with the word "racism" it's automatically bad.

Exactly. Never underestimate the motivation of self-inflated, urban, white people who want to impress their friends with their tolerance score. I see this all the time among the 20- and early 30-somethings at work.

And as a part Indian (small part - Elizabeth Warren style) with an Indian wife (her dad's straight off the reservation. literally) and a part Indian child, I can say that I'm not offended at all, even a little bit, and other Indians who are need thicker red skin.

How dare you not tote the line the pale faces have fought so hard to draw in the sand!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I said this in the Ditka thread: If you're so incensed about how the USA (people and government) have in the past, and continue to treat Native Americans, then I'm certain that you can find a multitude of ways to show support (financially and /or physically) to Native American causes far better than this meaningless gesture. This is a progressive "feel-good" movement; nothing more, nothing less.

I do what I can. By watching "Longmire".

I just read that elsewhere. Actual redskins overwhelmingly don't find the term offensive. Where are the over-sensitive white people to explain how they're wrong?

We need to be sensitive to their oppression, even if we have to oppress them with our pandering sensitivity.

• 1 year later...

An unrelated Appeals Court decision, with unintentional Redskins consequences:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/12/22/federal-appeals-court-decides-the-slants-case-excluding-disparaging-marks-from-trademark-registration-violates-the-first-amendment/

Basically, the appeals court says that you can trademark a name even if others find the name "offensive" or "bigoted".

In effect, there's nothing wrong with "Redskins".