If EJ is out at least 5-8 Weeks, do we draft a QB in the 1st?

Virgil

Put me in the camp of drafting another QB next year. Not because I hate EJ, he seems like a good person. I am rooting for him to fix his footwork issues/ his accuracy/ and his ability to move up in the pocket and deliver the ball.

If he fails to be able to do this, by drafting another QB we won't have to start all over.

If EJ turns into a franchise QB, whoever we draft will have solid trade value (a previous poster made the analogy to Bree's/Rivers). What a great problem that would be for the Bills to have!

Brees was not playing his best football when the Chargers drafted Eli Manning and then traded Manning to the Giants for Rivers and a bunch of picks.

Brees became a superstar after Rivers arrived, and ultimately left the team as a free agent with a torn rotator cuff on his throwing shoulder. The Chargers were able to put Rivers in, and remain a playoff caliber team while transitioning the QB position. At that point the football future for Brees was in question.

It has obviously worked out that Brees remained a superstar. However, I would take the past 13 San Diego seasons over the past 13 Buffalo seasons. We haven't had one QB during that time, and the Chargers have had two. For a short part of that time, they had two quality QBs at the same time.

May the "headache" of having two quality QBs for a couple of years be the Bills biggest problem!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd take the BPA. If it's a QB, then we get a QB. If it's something else, we get that. My guess is that we will be getting an athletic TE. Which is good because we can run two TE sets, which is something that could also benefit EJ. I wouldn't reach for a QB. If Bridgewater is there I'd grab him, but I'm not sold on any other QB being a 1st round get yet. (I don't watch a ton of college FB though.)

Put me in the camp of drafting another QB next year. Not because I hate EJ, he seems like a good person. I am rooting for him to fix his footwork issues/ his accuracy/ and his ability to move up in the pocket and deliver the ball.

If he fails to be able to do this, by drafting another QB we won't have to start all over.

If EJ turns into a franchise QB, whoever we draft will have solid trade value (a previous poster made the analogy to Bree's/Rivers). What a great problem that would be for the Bills to have!

Brees was not playing his best football when the Chargers drafted Eli Manning and then traded Manning to the Giants for Rivers and a bunch of picks.

Brees became a superstar after Rivers arrived, and ultimately left the team as a free agent with a torn rotator cuff on his throwing shoulder. The Chargers were able to put Rivers in, and remain a playoff caliber team while transitioning the QB position. At that point the football future for Brees was in question.

It has obviously worked out that Brees remained a superstar. However, I would take the past 13 San Diego seasons over the past 13 Buffalo seasons. We haven't had one QB during that time, and the Chargers have had two. For a short part of that time, they had two quality QBs at the same time.

May the "headache" of having two quality QBs for a couple of years be the Bills biggest problem!

Indeed, a good problem to have. I'd go BPA for sure. We have needs all over, and w/ the exception of MLB and Center (Alonso/Wood) could use an upgrade almost everywhere (or a solid backup who can play another position (i.e. Center who could play guard to backup Woods).

Draft another QB will separate the locker room. It will persist until 1 is dealt away. It is a gamble that could pay off or blow up in their face and they end up with another lost season or two. Give EJ a chance to play out the season when he returns. I would bring in a vet QB (retired) like McNabb to mentor him and teach him the finer points of the job.

I think EJ has been fine. He has not lit it up but the game does not look too big for him either. With that being said & he is out for 8 weeks we probably won't win another game with Tuel time starting(or any other guy they bring in @ this point) so we will be picking in the top 5 my guess is. If you have a chance to grab Bridgewater they better dam well do it. I don't care if it hurts EJ's feelings or not. That is the only QB coming out next year that I would take with our first round pick. I would love to grab Aron Murray in the 2nd though. I think he is going to be a good one & the last thing I read on him is he projects to be a late first early 2nd.

Edited by Gordio

I dunno. I wouldn't draft a QB next year, it seems like a foolish waste of precious #1 draft pick. Why bother taking EJ this past year? They could have rode what they had for 1 more year if they wanted to take a QB in 2014. Why didn't they just wait a year until 2014? I don't think they will even entertain the thought of drafting a QB in 2014. Not a good idea imo.

Yes.

If the Bills had picked the QB that was drafted after the Bills first round pick in each of the last 13 years they would have had Rodgers and Flacco. That is without even having to evaluate enough to select guys like Russell Wilson or Colin Kaepernick.

And who wouldn't they have? Dareus, Gilmore and CJ Spiller? That is basically what they have to show for 13 years of first round picks. Three guys who we like but who in reality haven't done much.

Point being.......if that first round pick wasn't a QB there is a very good chance that they haven't had much of an impact on your franchise....especially if you didn't have a franchise QB to put them around.................so unless you have a proven franchise QB ALWAYS take the best available QB.

Keep drafting until you find the guy

Nothing else matters..if the Bills are in a position to grab a talented first round QB you pull the trigger

Waiting two or three years to see if EJ develops is a terrible idea, the franchise does not start it's recovery to relevency until the day we find 'the guy"

Besides so what if you end up with two really good QB's...you can find value moving a QB that is wanted

Keep drafting until you find the guy

Nothing else matters..if the Bills are in a position to grab a talented first round QB you pull the trigger

Waiting two or three years to see if EJ develops is a terrible idea, the franchise does not start it's recovery to relevency until the day we find 'the guy"

Besides so what if you end up with two really good QB's...you can find value moving a QB that is wanted

Agreed. The Broncos got two first rounders, Kyle Orton, and some other stuff for moving Cutler. It's not even like Cutler was or is a top-10 QB. Compare that to the fourth + sixth rounders the Bills got for Lynch. Having too many good QBs on the roster is a much better problem to have than too many good RBs.

This needs to be a consideration by the FO if EJ doesnt improve his footwork and accuracy issues when he returns. Its quite possible 1-2 years from now we will have the best LB in the NFL in kiko. We need to have the QB capable of winning a super bowl before we start losing key talent in other spots on the roster.

What the two guys above me said. Also, I recommend reading that link I posted earlier about the Steve Walsh trade.

The Cowboys drafting Aikman and then still using a #1 on Walsh thru the supplemental draft was an example that every team should have learned from.

Truthfully, I think most did. Let's face it, the NFL of the 1960's thru 1980's.....there were a lot of dysfunctional, drunken, over-extended owners that allowed a bad manager like Ralph to at least be competitive once in a while. Nowadays, these new owners are guys who made their billions in a much more competitive global economy. Football is not rocket science but the bar has been raised and Ralph's style of management simply can't win any longer.

Anyway, it is very simple, if you have a QB and you consistently draft well in rounds 2-7 you can win big for a long time.

I still can't believe a pro football team (NFL) would find itself in a position whereby they have to start an undrafted free agent at QB. Is this the beginning of the Doug Whaley era or the beginning of the end?

The management at OBD defies belief. The names change, but the stink remains.

If you see a high quality QB available of course you take him. No brainer. While EJ hasn't been a 'flop 'he hasn't really proven that he has what it takes.

Ridiculous to have 'footwork' problems.-And ridiculous some of the creampuff throws that have resulted.

You don't take a QB in the first 2 years in a row. It's a waste of limited resources,namely that first round draft pick. However if your picking in the top 15 of each round,and a guy like Murray is sitting there in the second,you have to at least consider pulling the trigger.

I have mixed feelings on this. It really depends on where the Bills are picking and how these crop of QB's grade out. 1st round picks are extremely valuable and teams, even teams with questions at QB, can't waste picks on QB's they THINK will turn out to be great. Yea, I get that the draft is a crap shoot and you never know, but meanwhile when the Bills keep picking QB after QB in the first round the talent of the rest of the team possibly deteriorates. And yes, I realize there is talent throughout the draft, but look at where most of the talent on the Bills lie. Mario, CJ, Dareus, Gilmore, Lawson, Woods.

Are some of you saying, instead of Gilmore, the Bills should have made a move for Tannehill or Weedon?

If it's can't miss talent like Luck or Manning or even Ryan, sure you draft them, just don't know if you can keep throwing away picks on QB's without actually developing one.