Did the bills just become the new landing spot for Josh Freeman

263 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want him?

• yes
    • no
    • give tuel another go

The way I see it is that either the Bills sign Freeman or they punt their season away five weeks into it. He's the only available QB capable of helping them win games. Every other option is absolutely terrible.

The browns were thinking the same thing 3 weeks ago.

Lets see who we bring in

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you owe it to the other 52 guys on the roster, the coaching staff to find a QB that is capable of winning in the NFL -- I also think the Bills offenses needs to grow and mature as a unit as does Hackett --- without a decent QB at the helm, that won't happen --

When Bills say a few weeks, I don't think it means 3 weeks --- if it was 2-3 weeks, Marrone would have said a couple of weeks, maybe 3 --- I think it's more like 4-5 weeks -- that puts Manuel's return Nov 10th against Pitt -- any delay on that schedule, and the Bills would hold him out until after the bye and he'd play 12/1 vs. Atlanta --- that would give him 8 weeks ---

I think the Bills have RG3's injury in the back of their minds and do not want to be stupid ---

Having said all that, I think the only QB that makes sense is Josh Freeman -- I don't buy that he's a cancer or a "me guy" --- and even if he is, he would be the biggest fool, not only to JUMP, but to LEAP at the chance to join Bills and be a model citizen --- if I'm Whaley, I'm telling Freeman this -- "son, you are damaged goods. you will never get a long term contract in this league because your former employer has painted you as a cancer, an uncoachable selfish player who is looking out for himself and nonone else. Your body of work over the last 12 months is marginal at best, your best option is to come to Buffalo, start the next 4-5 games, play your a$$ off, be a model citizen then assume the backup role when EJ is ready, and show the other 31 teams that you would be an asset to them as a starter or backup" ---

I see it as a win-win -- for both sides ---

There is no way the Bills are considering Thaddeus Lewis! This team is full of veteran players, like Kyle Williams, that wants to win now and are sick and tired of the wait until next year approach. The way this team is comprised, it is capable of making the playoffs this year. Any type of competent QB play will get them to the post season. Lewis and Tuel aren't the answers. Let's hope for the team's sake and ours, as fans, they land Freeman. By the way, Freeman owns the Saints and Bengals two upcoming opponents.

Well...The next game is 8 days away...Lewis and Tuel have both been in Buffalo since at least the last pre-season game...They know the playbook by now...At least relatively well...They know the players, they know the Coaches...While I'm not against signing Freeman I can't see how he could possibly be ready for the Cincy game, unless the Bills plan on handing it off 80% of the time...So anyway, I'm certain most of the vets on this team understand as raw as they are, Tuel and Lewis probably give the Bills the best chance to win in 8 days...

Beyond that you may have a point, especially if either Tuel or Lewis look bad vs. Cincy...And it's an unfortunate Roster dilemma, but my guess is Lewis has to come up and take a spot for the Cincy game, and the Bills are going to have to give up another spot immediately if they want to bring in a guy like Freeman...I do think in comparison to what is out there Freeman is far and away the best option...I'm just not sure how quickly he can really help...And I think most of the vets like KW understand that...I think they may be more pissed off about the fact that the Bills went into the season the way they did at QB...Not necessarily how they react to it now... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

I think you owe it to the other 52 guys on the roster, the coaching staff to find a QB that is capable of winning in the NFL -- I also think the Bills offenses needs to grow and mature as a unit as does Hackett --- without a decent QB at the helm, that won't happen --

When Bills say a few weeks, I don't think it means 3 weeks --- if it was 2-3 weeks, Marrone would have said a couple of weeks, maybe 3 --- I think it's more like 4-5 weeks -- that puts Manuel's return Nov 10th against Pitt -- any delay on that schedule, and the Bills would hold him out until after the bye and he'd play 12/1 vs. Atlanta --- that would give him 8 weeks ---

I think the Bills have RG3's injury in the back of their minds and do not want to be stupid ---

Having said all that, I think the only QB that makes sense is Josh Freeman -- I don't buy that he's a cancer or a "me guy" --- and even if he is, he would be the biggest fool, not only to JUMP, but to LEAP at the chance to join Bills and be a model citizen --- if I'm Whaley, I'm telling Freeman this -- "son, you are damaged goods. you will never get a long term contract in this league because your former employer has painted you as a cancer, an uncoachable selfish player who is looking out for himself and nonone else. Your body of work over the last 12 months is marginal at best, your best option is to come to Buffalo, start the next 4-5 games, play your a$$ off, be a model citizen then assume the backup role when EJ is ready, and show the other 31 teams that you would be an asset to them as a starter or backup" ---

100%!

In addition to all these excellent points, it's literally a zero risk proposition for the bills. He sucks or acts like a cancer, you cut him. You're no worse off that you would have been with Tuel. He's excellent, then maybe you let Manuel heal as a conservative pace and let EJ learn a little (similar to what's been done in the NFL for decades prior to the last couple years). He's ok, then he's a good fill in for a few weeks and EJ comes back as the starter.

They honestly have to sign Freeman.

Freeman's issue is apparently ADHD. Not exactly what you want in a QB...

http://sports.yahoo....-214019540.html

Why not? Serious question, not trying to be a smartass here. You don't want an ADHD guy as your project manager or in a 100% desk job. Bad juju. In a physical profession calling for fast data processing and fast switching from task to task, though?

I suspect a lot of pro athletes are ADHD or have ADHD traits, and were directed in to sports partly as an outlet for the hyperactivity part.

There is no way the Bills are considering Thaddeus Lewis! This team is full of veteran players, like Kyle Williams, that wants to win now and are sick and tired of the wait until next year approach. The way this team is comprised, it is capable of making the playoffs this year. Any type of competent QB play will get them to the post season. Lewis and Tuel aren't the answers. Let's hope for the team's sake and ours, as fans, they land Freeman. By the way, Freeman owns the Saints and Bengals two upcoming opponents.

I should be more specific then. SHORT term. Not to finish out the season.

KOBILLS explained my perspective much more eloquently.

Just dont hate if Tuel starts against Cinci.

Marrone is coaching to win now . i have firmly come to believe.

Certainly is interesting situation though

It seems like most of this thread is oriented around the assumption that EJ Manuel is unquestionably the long term answer to our QB concerns:

-Worries about whether the guy we bring in will somehow ruin him if he's not a good example of what a QB should be (btw who's his "example" now?)

-assertions that the decision is not that big a deal because we'll only need this guy for a few weeks this year

-suggestions that this is a rebuilding year where wins don't matter

The problem I see with that assumption: Manuel hasn't really proven anything yet, as far as long term capability as a franchise QB. Granted he gets the benefit of the doubt as he's a rookie and learning, but more importantly,he has not come close to proving that he will have the durability for that role. For those reasons it would seem prudent to consider that we need a backup QB that MIGHT be an alternative answer as a starter. I think that was the thinking all along with Kolb, but it didn't pan out. It damn sure isn't Tuel. Freeman (or maybe even Young) at least give us the plausible potential of being a starter. You can't immediately write off either, as both have "extenuating circumstances" in their histories.

Why not? Serious question, not trying to be a smartass here. You don't want an ADHD guy as your project manager or in a 100% desk job. Bad juju. In a physical profession calling for fast data processing and fast switching from task to task, though?

I suspect a lot of pro athletes are ADHD or have ADHD traits, and were directed in to sports partly as an outlet for the hyperactivity part.

Sports and hyperactivity go well together; it's that "attention deficit" part that makes things a little hairy. We know Freeman has the capability to do it, as long as he's on his meds, but in a profession where details are of the utmost importance, a disorder such as this one doesn't lend itself well. Imagine if Peyton Manning had ADHD. Tom Brady? These guy wouldn't be carving up secondaries. ADHD reminds me of a classroom of 5 year olds.

It seems like most of this thread is oriented around the assumption that EJ Manuel is unquestionably the long term answer to our QB concerns:

-Worries about whether the guy we bring in will somehow ruin him if he's not a good example of what a QB should be (btw who's his "example" now?)

-assertions that the decision is not that big a deal because we'll only need this guy for a few weeks this year

The problem I see with that assumption: Manuel hasn't really proven anything yet, as far as long term capability as a franchise QB. Granted he gets the benefit of the doubt as he's a rookie and learning, but more importantly,he has not come close to proving that he will have the durability for that role. For those reasons it would seem prudent to consider that we need a backup QB that MIGHT be an alternative answer as a starter. I think that was the thinking all along with Kolb, but it didn't pan out. It damn sure isn't Tuel. Freeman (or maybe even Young) at least give us the plausible potential of being a starter. You can't immediately write off either, as both have "extenuating circumstances" in their histories.

Good point and that is one of the biggest issues with Manuel being hurt and out for any extended period --- I said from day one, I wanted the assessment on EJ to be clear cut -- either he stinks or he's great, so if it's the former the Bills will know to go after another QB in the next draft that is QB-deep --- I'm guessing most fans think he's shown enough and I'm certain coaches and FO think same - in my opinion, it's not clear just yet --- he has the poise, maturity, decision making and arm strength -- he still has questionable accuracy and inconsistency --- would love to see those two show improvement --- that's why, in my mind, if Freeman is signed and plays next 6 games --- and you still want EJ as the long term answer, you need to give him the team back for last 4-5 games so he can show that improvement

I'm quite confident there are other NFL players that have ADHD, and by the stats probably another QB. We just don't know it and shouldn't as it is their medical hx. It can be easily controlled with medication and assist him in focus.

He would be an excellent addition to the team and pay him 3-4 mil / yr for a multi year deal., we never have to worry about a backup then. As an aside, he was not a cancer in Tampa. I live in Tampa and my neighbor is a Buc. They think he was screwed from Schiano.

He'll be better under a new coach who can develop him and work to his strengths. Also the OC for the Bucs was the same guy from the Giants. It is too complicated which is why the Bucs are failing on offense. Even though Hacket is young, he did adapt from the Jets to the Ravens in their game plan.

This could end up being a very good thing as the coaches were bringing EJ along. With Freeman, he has to learn the playbook, but with 4 years experience, he can read opposing defenses and can drive the ball downfield. I've watched him connect on 40 yd passes with accuracy.

You guys will be happy when you see him win us a couple of games, and get back EJ.

DING .... DING ..... DING .... Don't get me wrong, I love E.J. and hope he proves to be our next Jim Kelly. But the fact of the matter is he is a rookie and hasn't really proved anything yet. He has a metric butt ton of potential, but he still seems to be pretty darn tentative out there, he has yet to take a game and be consistent. I would really like to have seen him play more like that last drive against the Panthers, and less of the hopping around in the pocket spraying balls all over the field out of the reach of the receivers. I don't have a problem with bringing in the best available QB out there and letting them compete for the job.

Outside of Josh posing as Michael Jackson, I agree. The front office does owe it to the roster. The season is not over. The wildcard spots will be very, very much up for grabs later this year. Bring in Freeman, he could help right the ship and, oh by the way, give the Bills some "juice" in preparation for the New Orleans, Atlanta and Tampa games

I do not see this as being an issue. EJ is very mature. i doubt a bad element would bring him down. Instead i see EJ as the type of positive guy who could elevate someone else. Maybe Freeman in Buffalo could help Freeman?

I hope Whaley is in charge of the decision. We know Nix and the GM for Tampa have a relationship from the TMZ leak. Dominick did little to help mediate the issues between Schiano and Freeman which makes me believe Dominick has little regard for Freeman.

Personally Freeman gives the Bills the best option to win. Anyone else off the street most likely not so much.

Dixon is another interesting posibility. He knows how to run a fast paced O and has athletic ability to run the read option.

Something tells me Dixon may be the guy the Bills sign.