Bucs Release Josh Freeman

I think he's subject to waivers since he's still on his rookie deal.

It does not matter if he is on a rookie deal or not, he is subject to waivers. I doubt anybody picks him up on waivers because then the team who picks him up has to assume his contract. Once he clears waivers he is free to go anywhere he wants & the bucs are on the hook for his original contract.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This guy had 25 TDs and 6 INTs in just his second season... he has fallen quite a ways but there is potential there.. I still think he could be a good/great QB in a different situation.

He needs a new start somewhere that wants to build around him.

I don't know what it is about Freeman, he so reminds me of JP Losman.

What a blunder in Tampa.

If he reminds you of Losman you either haven't watched him prior to this season or you don't understand that, career-wise, comparing him with Losman is like confusing bushes with oak trees.

Freeman is a pouty, whiny, inaccurate QB. Ignoring the Schiano circus, Freeman doesn't have the overall makeup to be a good QB. He had 1 single good season. Last year he was one of the main reasons the Buccs finished on a 1-5 slide to end the season.

As a long time Losman supporter, it took me a long time to realize it, but Losman is not a good QB. Freeman is exactly the same. Inaccurate, poor leader, sulking personality. He's just not a good QB. He's got a ton of physical talent, but none of the intangibles.

And to everyone blaming Schiano, is it Schiano's fault that Freeman had completed only 45% of his passes this season through 3 games? That's almost tebow kinda bad.

And to everyone blaming Schiano, is it Schiano's fault that Freeman had completed only 45% of his passes this season through 3 games? That's almost tebow kinda bad.

when a promising qb falls completely apart amid accusations of the coaching staff trying to make him look bad.... i will say i dont know who to point the finger at primarily, but i wouldnt excuse schiano without some real reasons coming out.

when a promising qb falls completely apart amid accusations of the coaching staff trying to make him look bad.... i will say i dont know who to point the finger at primarily, but i wouldnt excuse schiano without some real reasons coming out.

I'm certainly not excusing Schiano. He's turned that team into a clusterf***. But blaming all of this on him is ridiculous. Freeman simply isnt a good QB. He's shown brief flashes of brilliance. But then again, so have a lot of players that never amounted to anything.

And Freeman didn't look very good in 2011 under Raheem Morris either. In 59 Career starts, Freeman has 66 INTs. Damning, considering his great season in 2010 he only tossed 6. So which Freeman do you think you're getting? The 61% completion, 25 TD, 6 INT guy from 2010, or the 54% completion, 55 TD, 60 INT guy in his other 43 starts between 2009, 2011, 2012, and 2013?

It is if you are forcing your talent, in this case Freeman, to adhere to a system that is not their strengths. Schiano wants it his way and that disregards the strength of his player. Classic case of system is more important than talent. He won't last that way.

Freeman is a pouty, whiny, inaccurate QB. Ignoring the Schiano circus, Freeman doesn't have the overall makeup to be a good QB. He had 1 single good season. Last year he was one of the main reasons the Buccs finished on a 1-5 slide to end the season.

As a long time Losman supporter, it took me a long time to realize it, but Losman is not a good QB. Freeman is exactly the same. Inaccurate, poor leader, sulking personality. He's just not a good QB. He's got a ton of physical talent, but none of the intangibles.

Losman had a career high of 19 tds to 14 ints and a best record of 7-9. Freeman had 25/6 and 4,000 yards last year and both of his starting guards got lost for the season. The easy way to disrupt a QB is up the middle.

And why are you ignoring the Schiano circus when evaluating Freeman? His decline is directly related to him being the coach! He was the QB of a TB team that when 10-6 with Raheem freakin' Morris.

Name one QB Schiano developed at Rutgers. Fact is Schiano was a terrible hire. If Freeman failed with Jim Harbaugh, that's one thing. But Schiano screams tool and he ruined that team. Who knows if JF will be a franchise QB? But to not give a 25 yo a chance because of GS is stupid.

P.S. The guy they replaced Freeman with was even worse! How you can not put that on coaching is beyond me.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

Good post. :thumbsup: I agree with what you've written.

really? Cause the story I heard yesterday was that the team did vote him one of their captains, but the thought is that the poll was rigged by the coaches so that he wouldn't become captain.

Of course only the players in that locker room would be able to tell you that, but if be interested in hearing what really happened.

The story is Schiano is going to have a mutiny on his hands by the end of the year...players despise him and have already had several player only meetings regarding him and methods...

Losman had a career high of 19 tds to 14 ints and a best record of 7-9. Freeman had 25/6 and 4,000 yards last year and both of his starting guards got lost for the season. The easy way to disrupt a QB is up the middle.

And why are you ignoring the Schiano circus when evaluating Freeman? His decline is directly related to him being the coach! He was the QB of a TB team that when 10-6 with Raheem freakin' Morris.

Name one QB Schiano developed at Rutgers. Fact is Schiano was a terrible hire. If Freeman failed with Jim Harbaugh, that's one thing. But Schiano screams tool and he ruined that team. Who knows if JF will be a franchise QB? But to not give a 25 yo a chance because of GS is stupid.

P.S. The guy they replaced Freeman with was even worse! How you can not put that on coaching is beyond me.

I find it interesting that you blame it all on Schiano, considering that Freeman's numbers actually improved from 2011 under Morris to 2012 under Schiano. Freeman had 16 TDs and 22 INTs in 2011 with Raheem Morris as coach. Are those bad numbers Schiano's fault too?

Freeman simply isn't a good QB. I'm down here in florida. I've seem Freeman play countless times. The Buccs are my second favorite team. He's just not good, Schiano or no Schiano. Schiano being a militant asshat has little to do with Freeman's inability to play QB as a high level.

Freeman probably will end up being a decent backup, someone who can put together stretches of good play. But he'll never be the guy to carry a team. He's had 4+ seasons and nearly 2,000 passing attempts to prove it, and he has failed. He had one good season, 3 years ago. The fans still clinging to that one glimmer of hope like thats the "real" Josh Freeman are delusional.

Upon further consideration, Freeman will probably go unclaimed on waivers since any team he'd be awarded to would be on the hook for his full salary.

According to a report I heard on the network about an hour ago, they claimed he is an unrestricted free agent. They said they (bucs) were waiting for the need to arise at QB position due to injury and try to work a trade but that strategy never played out. Said also the Bucs spoke with all 31 teams and no one showed interest. They said the Bucs owe him the remainder of his salary for 2013...which according to them was 6.2 mil. Who knows ? LOL !

I think a fresh start would do the kid good. Jax does seem to make a lot of sense as others here have pointed out.

Edited by jaybee

My earlier comments about Schiano had nothing to do with the play of Freeman. I agree, he's not a great QB and doesn't seem to have the "it" factor you want your QB to have. My comments were as to how Schiano and the front office are leaking confidential information in an effort to seemingly paint Freeman as a bad kid or problem in the organization. Jay Glazer has been behind this story for a while. The whole franchise is a joke starting with the Glazers down through Schiano. He will not be the coach next year. I'm almost certain of that

My earlier comments about Schiano had nothing to do with the play of Freeman. I agree, he's not a great QB and doesn't seem to have the "it" factor you want your QB to have. My comments were as to how Schiano and the front office are leaking confidential information in an effort to seemingly paint Freeman as a bad kid or problem in the organization. Jay Glazer has been behind this story for a while. The whole franchise is a joke starting with the Glazers down through Schiano. He will not be the coach next year. I'm almost certain of that

The Buccs will be better off without Freeman AND Schiano. Much better than they would be with 1 or the other. But you're right. The real problem with that organization starts with the Glazers.