FILM BREAKDOWN: Hacket goes back to basics in run game

Bocephuz

It was refreshing to see Nate Hackett make a 180 degree adjustment from their scheme in the Jets game to the simplified one they used against the Ravens.

One obvious change was going to the I form and putting in the fullback but it was more than that . There was a lot less trapping and pulling and a lot more straight ahead one on one blocking... which led to some great second level blocking for the RBs.

These breakdowns show the first running play of the Jets and Ravens game to illustrate the tone Hacket was trying to set in each one.

bills4

bills1

It was refreshing to see Nate Hackett make a 180 degree adjustment from their scheme in the Jets game to the simplified one they used against the Ravens.

One obvious change was going to the I form and putting in the fullback but it was more than that . There was a lot less trapping and pulling and a lot more straight ahead one on one blocking... which led to some great second level blocking for the RBs.

These breakdowns show the first running play of the Jets and Ravens game to illustrate the tone Hacket was trying to set in each one.

These are really nice...thanks for posting. These are the sort of posts that brought me here and keep me here. Hear, hear!

These are really nice...thanks for posting. These are the sort of posts that brought me here and keep me here. Hear, hear!

I am not Bocephuz nor his PR agent but I must bump this thread in view of some other threads....

it is a great analysis of the run blocking, what has been tried and is not working with our current OL and what has been changed and worked.

+1 and I just made a silly suggestion about post counts and being able to start threads in some other threads, oh well welcome to the board

Bocephuz

:thumbsup: good job

Very nice comparison. This gives me hope that Hacket knows how to adjust. He will need to do so again to have a chance against Cleveland's D. The Bills will need to mix it up more this week to keep the Brown's off balance.

This is exactly the type of in-season adjustment I want to see from a Coaching Staff. Sometimes, less is more - especially with a young Offense. Spiller is a much better runner than what we've seen thus far in the season and I believe EJ is progressing as hoped. Thank you for sharing, nicely done!

Excellent work.

And it looks like a great adjustment. But I wonder (aloud) whether it was something Hackett saw in the Ravens D that he could exploit, or instead, something in the Bills Offense that he could exploit. In other words, are we going back to the same ineffective stuff this week based on matchups?

But I like it. O-linemen like to man up and fire on their men. FBs love to be one-on-one with a LB in the hole that they can blow up. I mean, isnt that what a FB lives for? (other than a play-action touchdown reception once a season or so).

Edited by maddenboy

Spectacular double-team and seal on Ngata, with Urbik getting to backside LB. We run almost this exact play at the modified level, Pro Blast. Nice to see a basic blocking scheme and run play develop into an easy 10 yard gain. Smash mouth football.

Edited by Wooderson

Very nice comparison. This gives me hope that Hacket knows how to adjust. He will need to do so again to have a chance against Cleveland's D. The Bills will need to mix it up more this week to keep the Brown's off balance.

actually it didnt as he kept running same plays all second half after Baltimore clearly made adjustments at halftime to shut it down which they did for the most part

Maybe I'm old school and FB is a dying position, but I love seeing smash mouth football with a FB plowing holes up the field!

I'm with you! I love what SF does with Bruce Miller and Baltimore with Vonta Leach. Great blockers, plus they can catch passes!