America's best designed city

PromoTheRobot

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One poster wrote:

"I'd like to see this video shot in the middle of February. Might change your tune a bit.

Don't get me wrong, I live in Buffalo now after having been gone 13 years and I love the personality of the city. I just wish we had another month of summer and one less month of winter."

I totally agree! Not to sound snobbish... But there is a city that has those qualities... Actually, two more months of summer and two less of winter with 3/4's (on average) less snow: CHICAGO. We will be boating here til November! And... It will start up again in late March!

Just saying... I love Buffalo, great design... Just totally put in the wrong place from October to May. October is not a bad month... BUT man can it change!

But it is a great video!

AM i the only one that has a lot of problems with this video?

90% of that video shows about 10% of the city.

It's a short marketing video, not a comprehensive look at the region. Nike doesn't show footage of low paid workers in third world countries making sneakers in their commercials. Why would the producers of this video emphasize anything but the best 10% of Buffalo?

It's a short marketing video, not a comprehensive look at the region. Nike doesn't show footage of low paid workers in third world countries making sneakers in their commercials. Why would the producers of this video emphasize anything but the best 10% of Buffalo?

Spin. The Donner Party fell for it too! LoL... ;-)

One poster wrote:

"I'd like to see this video shot in the middle of February. Might change your tune a bit.

Don't get me wrong, I live in Buffalo now after having been gone 13 years and I love the personality of the city. I just wish we had another month of summer and one less month of winter."

I totally agree! Not to sound snobbish... But there is a city that has those qualities... Actually, two more months of summer and two less of winter with 3/4's (on average) less snow: CHICAGO. We will be boating here til November! And... It will start up again in late March!

Just saying... I love Buffalo, great design... Just totally put in the wrong place from October to May. October is not a bad month... BUT man can it change!

But it is a great video!

You're insane. Chicago manages to be both colder and the winter and hotter in the summer, yet somehow that's better.

BTW, Here is the reply from the film-maker to the poster that you quoted. I couldn't agree more. A winter version of this would be stunning:

John Paget 13 hours ago

Great idea and it won't change my tune a note. Buffalo in winter is in many ways even more beautiful. The design vistas provided by the radial streets are even more striking when the views and sunlight are unimpeded by tree foliage. Maybe I will do as you suggest and shoot a winter version!

The larger point is that our geography is a package deal i.e. you get snow in winter, yes, but you get a city of lush foliage, summer sailing, moderate summer temperatures.

· 33 in reply to blueliner1776

You're insane. Chicago manages to be both colder and the winter and hotter in the summer, yet somehow that's better.

BTW, Here is the reply from the film-maker to the poster that you quoted. I couldn't agree more. A winter version of this would be stunning:

John Paget 13 hours ago

Great idea and it won't change my tune a note. Buffalo in winter is in many ways even more beautiful. The design vistas provided by the radial streets are even more striking when the views and sunlight are unimpeded by tree foliage. Maybe I will do as you suggest and shoot a winter version!

The larger point is that our geography is a package deal i.e. you get snow in winter, yes, but you get a city of lush foliage, summer sailing, moderate summer temperatures.

· 33 in reply to blueliner1776

I understand... But in Buffalo, you get less useable season by almost two full months when enjoying its number one resource: The Lake. It is really only from May to September. Chicago is hotter in the summer and colder in the winter and Buffalo is more tempered. Less snow by a mile makes that winter cold more tolerable and the hotter summers extend its outdoor enjoyment. People boat and fish here to DECEMBER. Heck, there have been many winters when you can stay inland and never put your boat away!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Save yourself the keystrokes next time. :D

That's what makes me so loveable! ;-) ;-)

As tempered as it is... And as beautiful, Buffalo is very hindered by its microclimate. Heck, the Natives wouldn't even hang out very much where the present day city is. I am not saying Western New York is bad, by far it is not, there are just so many more advantageous spots around the Great Lakes weatherwise. If you like shoveling snow (which I do over mowing grass), then move to Buffalo.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois