America's best designed city

PromoTheRobot

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it is not BS, go to Accuweather. The weather channel sucks. They generalize too much. Kevin Oconnel on last nights news said that he was speaking to some of his collegues around the country earlier in the day & they pretty much all agreed that WNY has had one of the nicest weather patterns/weather in the country for the last few months. I tend to agree with him. It has been beautiful here pretty much everyday for a while now.

Same in other places too!

Put it this way. BFLO and Chicago get basically the same weather... Except @ the height of summer it is bit hotter and in the depths of winter it is bit colder... By not much. The seasonal averages don't lie... They are that close, only separated by a few degrees either way (hi/lo). The deal breaker here is SNOW... Both areas get around 39" of precip a year. But, did you see those snow totals... That is enough to scary Frosty the Snowman away! Some years it is 3 times as much. True, there are mild winters. I am still gonna argue no matter how well a city is designed, that will hamper things for people AND ESPECIALLY BUSINESS.

Granted... I love the place (BFLO)... But like grandkids... I come in, enjoy and then get the heck out! It is a morale thing (snow), no matter how good the between seasons are, you just aren't gonna convince people to deal with that 800 pound gorilla in the room!

move that highway. Restore Buffalo to its glory

I agree! Moving the 190 further east was suggested over 40 years ago! The city's infrastructure is so poor designed...

Same in other places too!

Put it this way. BFLO and Chicago get basically the same weather... Except @ the height of summer it is bit hotter and in the depths of winter it is bit colder... By not much. The seasonal averages don't lie... They are that close, only separated by a few degrees either way (hi/lo). The deal breaker here is SNOW... Both areas get around 39" of precip a year. But, did you see those snow totals... That is enough to scary Frosty the Snowman away! Some years it is 3 times as much. True, there are mild winters. I am still gonna argue no matter how well a city is designed, that will hamper things for people AND ESPECIALLY BUSINESS.

Granted... I love the place (BFLO)... But like grandkids... I come in, enjoy and then get the heck out! It is a morale thing (snow), no matter how good the between seasons are, you just aren't gonna convince people to deal with that 800 pound gorilla in the room!

I agree! Moving the 190 further east was suggested over 40 years ago! The city's infrastructure is so poor designed...

I beieve our snow total are around 90 inches on average but honestly the weather pattern is changing. It just does not seem like we get that much snow anymore. I golf right up to Thanksgiving & in recent years have gotten a few rounds in December. 2 years ago I played twice in Febuary & 6 times in March. I don't think I shoveled the driveway once that winter. If you want to talk about getting pounded with snow head down the 90 to Syracuse. I spent 4 years there in college & though it was 15 years ago, I remember it being way worse then Buffalo.

I beieve our snow total are around 90 inches on average but honestly the weather pattern is changing. It just does not seem like we get that much snow anymore. I golf right up to Thanksgiving & in recent years have gotten a few rounds in December. 2 years ago I played twice in Febuary & 6 times in March. I don't think I shoveled the driveway once that winter. If you want to talk about getting pounded with snow head down the 90 to Syracuse. I spent 4 years there in college & though it was 15 years ago, I remember it being way worse then Buffalo.

I understand your hope. Jack will attest to that big snow in Syracuse. As for the "weather patterning changing"... I am not trying to be mean here, the fact is, Buffalo is located in a microclimate, alee (that means: protected, figure that one out. Snow does "insulate" and "protect") of The Lake... You can hope and wish all you want that weather patterns will be consistent, it just won't. If you want some sort of consistency with the snow, you have to move away from the alee side of that machine or to @ least windward of it. Believe it or not, we all get lake effect rain too. I had a hard time believing this too. I always thought, what's a little snow? Wimps! BFLO is still a very great place that has a very mild, tempered/protected climate... With an evil punch. As the weather pattern changes or gets warmer... BFLO winters will be worse off. You don't want that lake unfrozen all season! Double whammy, if it freezes hard and early. Than it takes getting The Boom out in late April/early May. Studies show the Ice Boom doesn't keep BFLO cooler... Yet, it still jams up the waterfront and hinders recreation and other interests. Who wants to go boating on a 75 degree spring day next to an ice floe?

Just take a look @ the data and snow. This part of Illinois is very much influenced by "system" weather patterns that you are hoping for. Heck, the big one-day snowstorm is ONLY in the low 20"'s or so. New York City and cities all along the Eastern Seaboard have Chicago beat with bigger totals. I am not touting the weather here but, you are hoping for that weather pattern change that others windward of The Lakes have always enjoyed... Just saying. I think there are some years that we get around 20" of snow. 20? That is almost laughable! Average is only in the 30"'s. That is a one day event in BFLO and especially the SouthTowns! :-O

Oh well Gordio... I enjoying arguing all in fun. I love BFLO and WNY greatly... I am not knocking it or trying to scare others away... It is a great secret. Yet, it takes great attitude to endure. I am sad that as I get older, I am losing that attitude little by little. I am getting lazier and just don't want to deal w/the winter hassle!