America's best designed city

PromoTheRobot

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're insane. Chicago manages to be both colder and the winter and hotter in the summer, yet somehow that's better.

Weatherwise yes... A very big YES! It is situated on the better side of a lake... I do NOT mean that to be nasty. Chicago sits on the better part of a lake for so many reasons! Basically, the weather is almost the same as BFLO. Yet, the snow is a factor. Only in the depths of winter and the height of summer does it get somewhat unbearable. There is less change in between seasons in BFLO. BFLO had to be put where it was. Just as BFLO was made by the terminus of the Erie Canal, Chicago is defined by the portage. They had two locations to go with the portage... They didn't choose the snowy side for a reason! The historians debate this placement. Seems logical today but, through the centuries a lot of geography has changed (by man). Marquette actually preferred the placement of the main economic portage further east right smack dab in the middle of the Indiana "snow belt" over the other two choices (present day Chicago & the Fox Valley, WI) to the Mississippi.

Just saying... Just doesn't offer an escape from its microclimate... And in the end, hurts it immensley!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I moved away in 1999. Snow what snow not like it used to be there. Living in EA/Elma we got crushed by that stuff

Oh... It is still getting it. BFLO/WNY snow that is. Probably why BFLO was the first city in the nation to have all paved roads! I wonder if that radial design plan helps it more or hurts it with snow removal? It does take a hardy type of person... Even they can get worn out by it, waking up every morning for a month straight with 4" of snow on your driveway. I am not knocking it or going all Chef Jim w/the anti-snow slop thing... I don't mind shovleing it... But, it's like one time I told my brother how much I like shoveling and what not, here in Chicago we may get 50" max in a winter... His reply: "You wake up every morninig w/4" of snow on the driveway... It gets old fast!" So true, especially for people who are aging! I couldn't argue w/him. The good thing, we all endure! Well, not necessarily me (but @ times we get belted in Illinois) anymore...

Oh well, I have always heard where that radial plan actually hurt the central economic growth of the city... And enabled growth to radiate out. A grid plan may have been more advantageous... BUT of course lacking in beauty. ??

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Weatherwise yes... A very big YES! It is situated on the better side of a lake... I do NOT mean that to be nasty. Chicago sits on the better part of a lake for so many reasons! Basically, the weather is almost the same as BFLO. Yet, the snow is a factor. Only in the depths of winter and the height of summer does it get somewhat unbearable. There is less change in between seasons in BFLO. BFLO had to be put where it was. Just as BFLO was made by the terminus of the Erie Canal, Chicago is defined by the portage. They had two locations to go with the portage... They didn't choose the snowy side for a reason! The historians debate this placement. Seems logical today but, through the centuries a lot of geography has changed (by man). Marquette actually preferred the placement of the main economic portage further east right smack dab in the middle of the Indiana "snow belt" over the other two choices (present day Chicago & the Fox Valley, WI) to the Mississippi.

Just saying... Just doesn't offer an escape from its microclimate... And in the end, hurts it immensley!

You're insane...

Oh... It is still getting it. BFLO/WNY snow that is.

Not the last two years.

My dad Said that it hardly snowed last year, barely used the john deere. I leave and there is less snow.

The year before it really didn't snow - I shoveled/snowblowed two times. Last year, it was at least 5-6 times.

I understand... But in Buffalo, you get less useable season by almost two full months when enjoying its number one resource: The Lake. It is really only from May to September. Chicago is hotter in the summer and colder in the winter and Buffalo is more tempered. Less snow by a mile makes that winter cold more tolerable and the hotter summers extend its outdoor enjoyment. People boat and fish here to DECEMBER. Heck, there have been many winters when you can stay inland and never put your boat away!

You could easily boat here in November. As I look out my office window there are boats on the lake right now. It is going to be mid 70's out this weekend. It was 81 just this past Sunday. I don't put the clubs away until usually Thanksgiving. I have golfed several times into December & regularly golf in March. I would take Buffalo's weather in a heartbeat over Chicago's. Not even close.

Edited by Gordio

I will add one more thing. Buffalo's average highs in October range from 65 in the beginning of the month to 54 at the end of the month. Buffalo's average highs in November range from 53 in the beginning to 42 at the end & in December range from 41 in the beginning to 32 at the end.

Chicago's you ask? October is 69 in the beginning to 57 at the end, November is 56 in the beginning to 41 at the end & December is 40 in the beginning to 31 at the end. It should aalso be noted that the average lows in Buffalo don't hit below 30 until 2 weeks into December where Chicagos average lows hit in the 20's starting the last week of November. This is taken right from Accuweather.

Good research, Gordio!

Although lately it seems a little different, there's been a lot of years where the snow doesn't start until around Dec. 20th give or take..............Now seeing those low temps not hitting below 30 until then makes sense.