America's best designed city

PromoTheRobot

I will add one more thing. Buffalo's average highs in October range from 65 in the beginning of the month to 54 at the end of the month. Buffalo's average highs in November range from 53 in the beginning to 42 at the end & in December range from 41 in the beginning to 32 at the end.

Chicago's you ask? October is 69 in the beginning to 57 at the end, November is 56 in the beginning to 41 at the end & December is 40 in the beginning to 31 at the end. It should aalso be noted that the average lows in Buffalo don't hit below 30 until 2 weeks into December where Chicagos average lows hit in the 20's starting the last week of November. This is taken right from Accuweather.

Do a quick check of the snofall total for the last 15 years... Chicago's all time annual record was 60" (early 2000's)... I know the last couple of years has been lean... But that doesn't even scratch the surface for bad years, which seem to come in streaks.... Almost double that 60 is the norm.

It is all about the snow and slop. And try boating with the boom in during March... A no-go.

I am not a BFLO hater... Its in the wrong spot.

Good research, Gordio!

Although lately it seems a little different, there's been a lot of years where the snow doesn't start until around Dec. 20th give or take..............Now seeing those low temps not hitting below 30 until then makes sense.

Comes in cycles... I got the last hundred years of data on my work computer... I was gonna post it but, didn't want to beat a dead horse or kick BFLO when they are down... Snowfall is close many years but, staggering for strings of years. It makes all the difference! Sure I love it, reminds me of my youth... BUT, it gets old and sloppy! Demoralizing.

What's your point?

Mark Twain spent many years in the Midwest...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, and what's your point?

The point is the bay area's summer suck. Yeah it is great that your high's in the middle of July are upper 60's(& I do realize that you could travel a little inland & the temps perk up dramatically. What is the point of having that beautiful ocean if you can't even go in it up Nocal.

The point is the bay area's summer suck. Yeah it is great that your high's in the middle of July are upper 60's(& I do realize that you could travel a little inland & the temps perk up dramatically. What is the point of having that beautiful ocean if you can't even go in it up Nocal.

But Buffalo is tempered like the Bay Area... Summers can be very cool. The point I was making about Chicago is yes, it can be brutally hot in the middle of summer and frigid in the winter... It has a climate similar to BFLO sans the big snow! The big snow for many is just a deal breaker. Put the ice boom in from December to sometimes late April, even early May and it is a killer of the waterfront. Ecomically, the wild swings in snow and weather are also a deal breaker coupled with being sitiuated geographically @ a dead end. It cost a heck of a lot to maintain when it snows. Granted, I don't mind it... But I am getting older and sometimes really don't want to deal with the mess and slop. Cold & frozen, I can deal with and occasional big snows that melt quickly... I also like nice hot summers for a spell.

I am not knocking Buffalo, just calling it what it is... It is a microclimate that just isn't consistent. I find it hard that they are spinning it as the best designed city when one of its greatest drawbacks in design is where it is placed. Maybe they mean "efficient?" That BFLO is. Expressways wisk you by all the stuff. Radial design has been credited with the development of the surrounding areas away from the center of the city. It might look beautiful but, in the end, it was just done wrong and put in and awfully bad location for so many reasons... YET, it had to be put there.

Please, I am not hating on BFLO... Just telling it like it is. I visit BFLO and WNY every other month. If I wanted a BFLO climate and still live and work where I do... I would have settled settled in New Buffalo, Michigan or Michigan City/Chesterton, Indiana and commute in to work.... Maybe even South Bend...

You know what that means? They will pay the piper this winter.

And most likely they will! Average snowfall for the region is a whopping 96" a year for the past 20 or so years. Again, I know I am arguing Chicago weather vs. BFLO... They are virturally identical with a average yearly high of 59/54 and low of 45/40 w/identical precip of 40" a year... Yet that snowfall is the killer... I would rather have it fall in the form of rain Then an extra 50" a year!

Here is a funny stat that all Buffalonians can be proud of. Even know they sometimes get double, maybe triple the amount of yearly snow... Buffalo spends less per mile of plowed roads than Chicago, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, heck all the major cities that get snow! And... They have less equipment per mile. That is something to be proud of!

No summer in SF suck. Just a little tip for you SF is not the Bay Area. So because you can't swim in the ocean in July in NoCal the weather sucks? I can't believe that someone is arguing the weather in WNY is better than ANY part of CA. This is an argument you will never win.

Thank you.

:lol:

No summer in SF suck. Just a little tip for you SF is not the Bay Area. So because you can't swim in the ocean in July in NoCal the weather sucks? I can't believe that someone is arguing the weather in WNY is better than ANY part of CA. This is an argument you will never win.

Exactly... I gonna have to side w/you, so deal with it! ;-P ;-P

In SF, you are a stones throw away from other warmer summer destinations. You are on the other side... Probably a lot warmer as you go in land. And... When you want to get away from the heat, one can go seaside toward San Fran. Sounds like the area has it all covered!

One might also want to argue that the food scene, much like the weather, is better in Buffalo. Would you like some advice on how to best take advantage of this unassailable conclusion?

Yes.

You have a very narrow view of what constitutes weather. :lol:

One might also want to argue that the food scene, much like the weather, is better in Buffalo. Would you like some advice on how to best take advantage of this unassailable conclusion?

Thanks for offering advice but I don't need any advice. Especially from someone who say the food and weather is better in Buffalo. Next you'll be spouting some crazy thing saying the make better wine there too. :D

Exactly... I gonna have to side w/you, so deal with it! ;-P ;-P

Crap....is it too late to change my position here?

bbb, you're 100% correct and I have been wrong all along.

Hey Chef... Why can't you swim in the ocean in that area during the summer? Too cold? Even if it is in the 50's or 60's, water temp, gotta be just like going to Maine? People swim there even in the chilly waters near Acadia.

Yes too cold but tons of rip tides too. Only the east coast tourists swim in that cold water. Beautiful to look at but you'll never catch me in it. The Caribbean is more my style.

For a good part of the year or at least half of it our weather is nice then SF/Oak. From May until November I would say our weather is nicer. Sorry but it is true.

Hey Chef... Why can't you swim in the ocean in that area during the summer? Too cold? Even if it is in the 50's or 60's, water temp, gotta be just like going to Maine? People swim there even in the chilly waters near Acadia.

In the dead of summer that water probably does not hit 60 degrees. Who in their right mind would swim in that?

& I never said the weather in Buffalo year round is better then Nocal. We have nicer summers & early falls though.

Edited by Gordio

For a good part of the year or at least half of it our weather is nice then SF/Oak. From May until November I would say our weather is nicer. Sorry but it is true.

In the dead of summer that water probably does not hit 60 degrees. Who in their right mind would swim in that?

& I never said the weather in Buffalo year round is better then Nocal. We have nicer summers & early falls though.

The weather in the summer is nicer in Buffalo than Oakland? Well you've just made a fool of yourself. How many summers have you spent in Oakland to be qualified to make that statement? How much rain did you get this summer? How many days of 100% humidity? How many days have you not seen the sun since May?

Oh and even the ****ty weather city of SF has better weather in Sept and Oct than Buffalo.

Edited by Chef Jim