NFL Breast Cancer Awareness Month

papazoid

The Cleveland Browns will honor patients, survivors & families during their nationally televised game on Oct. 3.

BEREA, Ohio -- The Cleveland Browns will celebrate National Breast Cancer Awareness Month throughout October during the fifth consecutive year of the NFL’s and NFL Players Association’s “A Crucial Catch: Annual Screening Saves Lives” campaign, in partnership with the American Cancer Society, the team announced.

The Browns will host the NFL’s first official breast-cancer awareness game of 2013 under a national spotlight on Thursday, when Cleveland hosts the Buffalo Bills at FirstEnergy Stadium, broadcast across the country on the NFL Network and WKYC-TV locally. The game is presented by Cleveland Clinic.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-1/Browns-celebrate-National-Breast-Cancer-Awareness-Month/4995bc23-b644-4ac1-9511-e8c59c019d50

I know some think a "month" is a little to long, but it is a very effective campaign to raise "awareness".

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a lot of people who feel the NFL does too much around this (including people who work for NFL teams) and ultimately they are just doing it to appease/ increase female fan base. I don't have an opinion either way - as long as it raises money for the cause. I do think the players really get into it though. Aaron Williams tweeted that he will be sporting a pink mohawk for the game tomorrow night. I would not be surprised if EJ represents somehow as well considering his mom had/has breast cancer. I am not sure of her current state, she was going through the treatments last year. He doesn't really talk about it. His dad has been at all the games, but I think his mom was maybe only at game 1. Anyway, the NFL really gets into it, and some complain that they ignore other charities, but since I work at a very large organization I know that you can't support everything as a corporation (at least not tho this extent) and we pick a few to really support and put out there. The NFL does United Way and this, and they do it well.

In recent years, the NFL has focused on supporting three main causes: fighting childhood obesity through NFL PLAY 60, battling breast cancer with A Crucial Catch and showing appreciation for our military with the Salute to Service campaign.

The NFL also springs to action in times of crisis, working with the American Red Cross to raise money and to promote healing and rebuilding after national disasters like Hurricane Katrina and Superstorm Sandy.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82054f96/article/a-letter-from-the-commissioner

the NFL does not profit from the sale or auction of cancer awareness merchandise.

http://www.nfl.com/pink

I feel incredibly strong about this topic. Some teams will end up wearing pink for 5 out of their 16 games. It is the epitome of overkill. Years from now when people look back on NFL memorabilia from this era, nearly a 1/3 of the pictures will contain players wearing pink. It is utterly preposterous. 1 game would be PLENTY. And my aunt died from breast cancer. We're all aware of it by this point. How about an entire month where players wear brown to make people aware to get a colonoscopy to prevent colon cancer. I'm only half joking. I have Crohn's Disease and I need to get them every few years. They're not even a big deal and adults are supposed to get them every 7-10 years but many don't because they're afraid. See? This post just increased your awareness of colon cancer more than the stupid pink wrist bands are going to about the one cancer that everyone already knows about!!!

Edited by metzelaars_lives

This is a sport played by men only, how about a prostate cancer awareness month where everyone wears yellow? 1 of 6 men will get prostate cancer in their lifetime, yet it gets nowhere near the funding and attention it should.

This is a sport played by men only, how about a prostate cancer awareness month where everyone wears yellow? 1 of 6 men will get prostate cancer in their lifetime, yet it gets nowhere near the funding and attention it should.

This is a good point. I think the "Pink" month is a marketing ploy to increase female fans. At least the money goes to a good cause. But your basic point is correct; prostate cancer awareness is largely ignored. College basketball does a good job drawing attention to it with Coaches v. Cancer, and Coach B from Syracuse is a big promoter of awareness, screening and research.

This thread is on a one-way highway to PPP. But I can't resist:

• Overkill, yes.
  • Suspect charity, yes (read articles on how money from "awareness" is actually spent and how effective that spending is).
  • At the expense of more relevant afflictions that are just as lethal, yes.
  • A campaign for the campaign's sake, you bet.
  • Kind of lame, I think so.

This is a good point. I think the "Pink" month is a marketing ploy to increase female fans. At least the money goes to a good cause. But your basic point is correct; prostate cancer awareness is largely ignored. College basketball does a good job drawing attention to it with Coaches v. Cancer, and Coach B from Syracuse is a big promoter of awareness, screening and research.

The money doesn't go to a "good cause."

Mostly because there's no correlation between screenings and effectively thwarting fatality.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/28/magazine/our-feel-good-war-on-breast-cancer.html?pagewanted=all

September was Hispanic Heritage Month where they do the whole Fútbol Americano thing and I'm sorry, I know it's supposed to sound funny when the soccer announcer who yells Goooooooool says Touchdooooowwwwwn but, it sounds corny to me.

And I'm all for the NFL showing support to Breast Cancer in October but wearing all that pink is something I'm not a big fan of grown men wearing. This year it will be 5 games played in pink. That's too much pink I'm sorry...

September was Hispanic Heritage Month where they do the whole Fútbol Americano thing and I'm sorry, I know it's supposed to sound funny when the soccer announcer who yells Goooooooool says Touchdooooowwwwwn but, it sounds corny to me.

And I'm all for the NFL showing support to Breast Cancer in October but wearing all that pink is something I'm not a big fan of grown men wearing. This year it will be 5 games played in pink. That's too much pink I'm sorry...

The pink does seem conveniently emasculating, doesn't it?

This thread is on a one-way highway to PPP. But I can't resist:

• Overkill, yes.
  • Suspect charity, yes (read articles on how money from "awareness" is actually spent and how effective that spending is).
  • At the expense of more relevant afflictions that are just as lethal, yes.
  • A campaign for the campaign's sake, you bet.
  • Kind of lame, I think so.

The money doesn't go to a "good cause."

Mostly because there's no correlation between screenings and effectively thwarting fatality.

http://www.nytimes.c...?pagewanted=all

That is a very interesting article that makes some good points, its main point that screening promotion is put ahead of funding an actual cure. However, the article is confusing in its tenor: great, if they find a cure but cut back on screening, those would could benefit from said cure may catch the cancer too late. I do agree that the screening component is over-emphasized, and that funds should be directed more toward finding a cure, but the article I believe unintentionally appears to dismiss the benefits of proper screening and counseling of the findings of the screening (i.e. if she did not need the first treatment, then the Dr. should have told her that we will "monitor" this).

In all, the "Hispanic Heritage" month, the "Breast Cancer Awareness" month, and any other such "month" is simply a way for the NFL to market to audiences where they see growth potential. It's really annoying. And, as "The Big Cat" pointed out, the money generated from such awareness campaigns largely is wasted.

That is a very interesting article that makes some good points, its main point that screening promotion is put ahead of funding an actual cure. However, the article is confusing in its tenor: great, if they find a cure but cut back on screening, those would could benefit from said cure may catch the cancer too late. I do agree that the screening component is over-emphasized, and that funds should be directed more toward finding a cure, but the article I believe unintentionally appears to dismiss the benefits of proper screening and counseling of the findings of the screening (i.e. if she did not need the first treatment, then the Dr. should have told her that we will "monitor" this).

All good points. But to dig a little deeper, the emphasis on pre-screens, the partnerships involved and the disproportionate payouts to otherwise frivolous expenses (not least of which is their MASSIVE marketing budget) makes it seem--as it seems WITHOUT knowing these things for certain--that the whole thing is a beast engineered to keep feeding...itself.