Is Byrd Replaceable?

Concur with RyanC883. Unless Byrd can play CB, those plays are going to happen. You leave 4th string CB's in single coverage against Super Bowl receivers (e.g., Holmes, Smith), big plays will probably happen.

The 70+ yard pass play wasn't single coverage. Searcy made the decision to try to jump an underneath crossing route (that was already essentially doubled) and that left Williams alone.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as they don't overpay him, I'd celebrate his return. I don't like the "injury" crap he's pulling, but for the right price, I'd get over it.

He doesn't like the business end of the deal he's getting. Just bite the bullet for now, Byrd is business.

That would require him agreeing to a longterm deal in Buffalo and the odds of that happening appear slim.

I think the Bills make him stick it out here next year, they'd be foolish not to do so.

Me thinks Aaaron Williams , if placed at free saftey is better than Byrd right now anyway.

Nah. AWiliams is a coverage safety more akin to an old school SS then he is a free roam FS. He would get lost in the wash of the play. He is good at physical, man coverage on an assigned target. That may be changing as he continues to develop, but I would not say he is better at FS then an All-Pro.

The 70+ yard pass play wasn't single coverage. Searcy made the decision to try to jump an underneath crossing route (that was already essentially doubled) and that left Williams alone.

That's only because Searcy sucks, amirite?

Byrd has intuition to play the position. Something you need. Something Ed Reed has/had. Byrd would not have done this and would have deflected this ball knocking it free.

Um, didn't Geno Smith and Joe Flacco almost each have 400 yards passing against us? Look, I know everyone hates Byrd now but let's not get silly. He absolutely would be a huge help to the defense.

Flacco threw the ball all day so, due to volume, he had over three hundred yards. He is a pro QB. If they throw the ball 50 times and run it 9 you would think he would be able to get some yards. But his completition percentage was around 50%. That is a terrible percentage. Bills were good in coverage yesterday outside a few breakdowns. And downfield coverage was consistently good too. Forced Flacco to take chances and it led to a couple of those INT's. More to the game than stats. They don't always tell the entire story.

Because any big contract is going to be big every single year of the contract. That means that in 3 years time when we have to give EJ a $25mil/year deal to pay him what he's worth, there will be a chunk less money because we chose a few years earlier to overpay lesser talented players at lesser important positions.

Peyton Manning doesn't make $25mil/yr... I doubt EJ will anytime soon either... Not to say that EJ won't be making a big chunk of dough though...

Now, don't get me wrong. I would love it it Jairus Byrd and the Buffalo Bills came to a long term deal in which both sides are happy and a very talented safety is out there playing his heart out for us. But as the season wears on, and we've heard rumblings that Byrd is unhappy, and he seems to refuse to play with the same injury he had during the best season of his career (and one that his teammate Mario Williams is productively playing through). He seems to not want to be here.

So with that in mind, I have to ask: How irreplaceable is Byrd to this defense?

Yes, we could use him out there. Our DB corps is one of the most snakebitten in the league and I am counting the days until Gilmore comes back. But how much would they improve by the return of Byrd as compared to Gilmore or...I can't believe that I'm saying this, McKelvin?

Aaron Williams has done a surprisingly good job transitioning to safety, and oddly enough, it seems that his time there has made him a better CB as well. Seacry, while certainly leaving something to be desired is a good run stuffer and has made some big plays. And the veteran Jim Leonard has looked pretty damn good.

Of course, we may have to lose Williams to CB duty from time to time, and Leonard is reaching the end of his career, but this seems to be something that can be solved with the draft or picking up some depth in FA while our last two safety picks develop. So I want to ask: with a group which has gotten 9 interceptions in four games without Byrd, how badly do we need him back?

BYRD is 100% irreplaceable. -One of the best playmakers in the league.And though our reserve DBs have fought valiantly--they will still get picked apart a LOT .

I think the Bills make him stick it out here next year, they'd be foolish not to do so.

Unless they get some crazy trade offer, which is currently unlikely.

Nah. AWiliams is a coverage safety more akin to an old school SS then he is a free roam FS. He would get lost in the wash of the play. He is good at physical, man coverage on an assigned target. That may be changing as he continues to develop, but I would not say he is better at FS then an All-Pro.

Agree. Williams looks a little like Leonard Smith, a guy the BILLS have never really replaced and one of the most unsung players of that era.

That's only because Searcy sucks, amirite?

:lol: Searcy has always looked more like a box safety than a guy who was good in space, especially down the field. He has played two pretty good games (Ravens/Pats), and two not so good games (Jets/Panthers). He made some plays yesterday that seemed far outside his skill set, so maybe he's much more than I thought. The last 2 passes he defended were VERY impressive.

Byrd has intuition to play the position. Something you need. Something Ed Reed has/had. Byrd would not have done this and would have deflected this ball knocking it free.

I don't know but you're right in that Byrd definitely has the quality that separates him from other, lesser players. He's very good at baiting QBs and reading/reacting. I would really like to see him play in this defense.

I don't know but you're right in that Byrd definitely has the quality that separates him from other, lesser players. He's very good at baiting QBs and reading/reacting. I would really like to see him play in this defense.

And that is the shame of this whole thing.

I am apparently one of the few who doesn't believe he's faking anything here, but it would behoove him, financially, to get involved in this defense. I think it would look great on him and you're already seeing what the lesser players can do in this D.

:lol: Searcy has always looked more like a box safety than a guy who was good in space, especially down the field. He has played two pretty good games (Ravens/Pats), and two not so good games (Jets/Panthers). He made some plays yesterday that seemed far outside his skill set, so maybe he's much more than I thought. The last 2 passes he defended were VERY impressive.

Few understand a box safety. When they think box safety they think Whitner was a box safety. Searcy could be the perfect trade bait this year or next.

A box safety is like a jack russell dog on a short leash in the yard. He will move all around that box quick and be aggressive. You get him out of that box and he's lost and afraid of everything just running loose.

And that is the shame of this whole thing.

I am apparently one of the few who doesn't believe he's faking anything here, but it would behoove him, financially, to get involved in this defense. I think it would look great on him and you're already seeing what the lesser players can do in this D.

It's a little of column A and a little of column B. He'd come in and be the tallest midget on the team right now. That's a lot of pressure when the bullets start flying because they can hit the tallest man first - and not in a good way. He will look like a fool and this place will erupt if Gilmore and McKelvin come back and Byrd is still not active.

I believe Byrd would have won us the Jets game and possibly NE. Ginns td against carolina never would have happened either, although we squeaked that out.

I love Aaron Williams style of play, and he was a monster yesterday, but Byrd in peak form is our best option by far.

Not signing the tender after we tagged him was a poor choice though, and I agree w Rags about drawing a line in the sand with these selfish punks and their Me First agents.

I hope Eugene watched the game yesterday as we picked up 5 INT's without his boy wonder.

Yeah put me in the camp that says Byrd has not played in a long time. He has a multiple, debilitating and chronic injuries that appear to be on the severe side of the scale. His career, his skills and his motivation highly in doubt. Byrd needs to be referred to in the past tense. Right now he is in the same category as Henry Jones a ball player who was once very good. He has zero credibility right now until he takes the field and makes some plays. This league is about what have you done lately. I like the guys we have now. They are getting better week by week.

Me thinks Aaaron Williams , if placed at free saftey is better than Byrd right now anyway.

yes. But he is also much better than Searcy at SS. So Byrd at FS and Williams at SS would be extremely scary for just about any team in the league to go up against.

Peyton Manning doesn't make $25mil/yr... I doubt EJ will anytime soon either... Not to say that EJ won't be making a big chunk of dough though...

Sorry, I was exaggerating for emphasis.

Every player is replacable. That said, imagine adding a top 5 safety to this current defense? Searcy is still pretty bad in coverage. Leonhard is more of a pass defender/ centerfielder type. Regardless how you feel about him, Byrd is one of the best at his position in the league.

He's also a top 5 bunghole...