Manuel had another rough outing

zazie

not to rain on our parade, but it seems clear that Manuel is a work in progress who must progress significantly, for success going forward.

Yes, we won, but it was a 5 interception game that we barely won, and EJs stats look fairly horrendous.

If we had lost....

I think counting on 5 INTs is not a formula that will win us too many more games.

the Bills need to develop a killer instinct (the whole team needs what Kiko has!) and EJ needs to be a LOT better. Hopefully it is possible.

Please use a more descriptive thread title in the future. I'm going to edit this so that people know what to expect when they decide whether they want to view this thread.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Weird... I can't believe you don't have an issue with EJ randomly dropping the ball on two separate occasions... That seems like an issue to me...

I didn't have as big of an issue with the second fumble. That ball was jarred loose from the fake handoff, and hitting choice in the gut. The first one was more than frustrating

I agree that Manuel left too many plays on the field yesterday. That game could have been put away much sooner.

That isn't an indictment of his future. It's a critique of the Manuel of right now. I think people have trouble seperating these two things.

Stats are very misleading. EJ should have had a TD to Woods. He should have had a TD to Lee Smith which was a great play and pass (although I think IIRC that was the same drive so you can't say he would have two). He had that great pass to Chandler that was overturned. He had a great pass to Woods that was brought back.

Great post! Also, that official made an horrible call on the Woods TD. Moving the ball from one hand to the other demonstrates control. That ref is the worst in the NFL. He got the Chandler call right, and if Lee (legless) Smith doesn't trip that's 3 TD's for EJ.

I agree that Manuel left too many plays on the field yesterday. That game could have been put away much sooner.

That isn't an indictment of his future. It's a critique of the Manuel of right now. I think people have trouble seperating these two things.

I would agree. He is a rookie QB who plays like a rookie QB at times. But you can see that he has the potential and poise to become a great QB.

Also just my opinion: it looked to me like the sideline throws last week were him trying too hard to place the ball in a safe spot. The general rule of thumb for a QB is that a safe deep throw is over the top and outside, which minimizes the chance for a pick. When under duress and trying to make a deep throw, that's kind of what I'd expect to see.

I could easily be mistaken though...

thats been my take as well.

not to rain on our parade, but it seems clear that Manuel is a work in progress who must progress significantly, for success going forward.

Yes, we won, but it was a 5 interception game that we barely won, and EJs stats look fairly horrendous.

If we had lost....

I think counting on 5 INTs is not a formula that will win us too many more games.

the Bills need to develop a killer instinct (the whole team needs what Kiko has!) and EJ needs to be a LOT better. Hopefully it is possible.

Umm... where you expecting Joe Montana after 4 games????

.....the one obvious exception being the long-ball to Woody that he underthrew.....

I'm pretty sure he couldn't step into that pass due to having a defender in his face, and that is why it got under thrown.

I'm pretty sure he couldn't step into that pass due to having a defender in his face, and that is why it got under thrown.

He did get hit on that play, so you could indeed be correct...I came away with the impression that he did have time to step into it before absorbing the hit...didn't see the replay though

He didn't look like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, but I think he looked fine for a rookie in his 4th NFL game. Peyton Manning threw 28 interceptions In his rookie year. Let EJ make his mistakes and figure it out. Everyone knew he was somewhat raw, but he was drafted where he was for his upside. I think he's shown poise and potential beyond what I expected at this point.

If we had lost....

He is a rookie. He has played well enough to help the team get to 2-2 after four games. The other two games could have been won as well with a bit of luck. I for one expect him to experience some growing pains. So far though, I like what I see from him. I wasn't expecting perfection right out of the chute.

If we had lost....

Like Marv Levy always said the only good rookies are last years rookies. I know that there are exceptions so don't blast me for KIKO and others that are doing well this year but for the most part it is true and I think EJ. fits into that rule. It is not always about stats. It's also about if a player has heart to play the game.

I'm excited as hell about this team. If they can maintain just a .500 record through 8 games it'll be interesting to see what they can do in the second half of the season once they get players back on D, Manuel has more seasoning and both offense and defense are more comfortable with their new schemes. I'm not worried about Manuel in the least right now. If he is playing like this a few years from now, then I'll be worried.

Edited by MDH

Urbik came back in the field before the half was even over. Now if they changed him in and out thought the second half I couldn't tell you. But from my seat, I clearly watched him come back to the field in our last drive in the 2nd quarter and didnt notice if he was swapped out at all in the 2nd half. Replay of game file will tell.

He was without CJ and Freddy much of the 2nd half though. And even Stevie (not that he did anything anyway) was out for quite a few plays in the 2nd half. I specifically remember at least one drive (ended in a 3 and out) where our WRs were Hogan and Graham. No woods, no Stevie.

I don't remember seeing him come back in the game. I'll have to go back and watch the 2nd half.

Whose stat line is this, his first year with the Bills? Record 4-12, att/comp 285/480, 22 TD, 17 INT, 43 sacks, rating 83.3? (Hint, team was 1-3 in first four games, not 2-2).

Let's just take it easy; EJ may or may not become what we want and need, but it's way too early to tell. Let's enjoy watching him grow and learn.