If Bryd is a man....

Estelle Getty

im wondering how much of this dispute is a personal thing with littman vs parker.

if there is some kind of personal beef over past contract negotiations that they just bang heads.

Edited by 808

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're wandering into dangerous ground here, so I'll make this clear from the start: I do not doubt that Jairus Byrd is hurt.

Of course, I don't doubt that Fred Jackson and C.J. Spiller are hurt, either. There's no doubt in my mind that Marcell Dareus, Kraig Urbik and Aaron Williams are hurt. I'm sure Kyle Williams' heels hurt him from time to time. Leodis McKelvin will probably be hurt when he comes back.

There's another thing I don't doubt. If the Bills had given Byrd a long-term contract as one of the top safeties in the league (something in the five-year, $42.5 million range), there's no doubt in my mind that Byrd would have been on the field from the start of the season.

http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/jerry-sullivan/its-time-for-the-bills-to-move-byrd-20130930?two-bills-drive

One thing I don't get about Jerry Sunshine's column, that last statement above, if the Bills had given Byrd a top 5 deal, he would have signed. I bought they did hat and he wanted to be THE top paid safety? Is this not the case?

We're wandering into dangerous ground here, so I'll make this clear from the start: I do not doubt that Jairus Byrd is hurt.

Of course, I don't doubt that Fred Jackson and C.J. Spiller are hurt, either. There's no doubt in my mind that Marcell Dareus, Kraig Urbik and Aaron Williams are hurt. I'm sure Kyle Williams' heels hurt him from time to time. Leodis McKelvin will probably be hurt when he comes back.

There's another thing I don't doubt. If the Bills had given Byrd a long-term contract as one of the top safeties in the league (something in the five-year, $42.5 million range), there's no doubt in my mind that Byrd would have been on the field from the start of the season.

http://www.buffalone...two-bills-drive

I don't understand why Jerry brings out the Pro-Bowl argument, like its some measure of how good a player is. It's a popularity contest, that Byrd made by being an alternate. He wasn't even the first 2 choices within the AFC. The Pro-Bowl is dead.

Then he uses the argument that he was the best player on defense last year. which was a historically bad defense. Giving up scores of 48, 52, 45 and 50. Then he brings Darrelle Revis into the conversation, as if Jarius can be compared to him? Darrelle was able to do what he did because he IS the best at his position, not top 5 or whatever.

If there's one iota of truth to the idea that Byrd would be playing if he had signed a deal he was happy with, that's all I need to know. He can't get off my favorite team fast enough.

GO BILLS!!!

Does anyone think Spiller's statement "I'm playing if I'm 85-90%" is a shot or dig at Byrd's RIDICULOUS statement that he can't play until he is 100% ???

I don't think so. Spiller has made similar statements after being hurt in the past.

GO BILLS!!!

Here is how i see it playing out-

Byrd will come back when Gilmore and McKelvin are back- probably the Cincy game.

Why? Because i bet Byrd realizes if the Bills have those two starting CBs, plus A. Williams playing good with Leonhard playing decent, the Bills could IR Byrd. Could being the optimal word there.

Here is how i see it playing out-

Byrd will come back when Gilmore and McKelvin are back- probably the Cincy game.

Why? Because i bet Byrd realizes if the Bills have those two starting CBs, plus A. Williams playing good with Leonhard playing decent, the Bills could IR Byrd. Could being the optimal word there.

The way A Williams is playing and McKelvin was playing, he might also realize he could be part of a potent secondary -- all of a sudden a secondary with Gilmore-McKelvin-A Williams and Byrd looks pretty good --- with Leonard/Searcy/Robey and Brooks spelling them ---- not too shabby, who would have thunk it

Does anyone think Spiller's statement "I'm playing if I'm 85-90%" is a shot or dig at Byrd's RIDICULOUS statement that he can't play until he is 100% ???

Conspiracy theories are fun

I'm not sure why fans can't get over this and just move on. Whenever he plays he plays. In the meantime, root for the guys on the field.

Conspiracy theories are fun

I'm not sure why fans can't get over this and just move on. Whenever he plays he plays. In the meantime, root for the guys on the field.

Short answer: It's fun; Longer answer: Having played team sports, it's no different than being in any type of close group of people (i.e. an office, a club, neighborhood etc.); not everybody gets along all the time -- I suspect when you have guys like Spiller / F Jax limping back on the field --- Urbick getting taped up and back on the field, A Williams with multiple injuries in that game getting back on the field, there is no doubt in my mind there is animosity and resentment building between Byrd and some of his teammates --- not all of them, as I'm sure a lot see and understand the business side --- what does it mean for the team (which is all I and others really care about) -- not a whole lot, I'm sure guys on the Ravens hated each other last year and they won the SB --- however, on a young team, trying to create an identity, especially on defense, it could mean more --- in Byrd's case, he was in a position as the best player in the secondary to take on a true leadership role, I suspect that ship has sailed and for him that's unfortunate --- like I've said before, his agent has cost him a lot of money with this ill-conceived strategy --- mark my words, there is no way he gets 5 years and $40M plus next year in FA Edited by TXBILLSFAN

The only problem with trading Byrd is that NOW OR BEFORE the trade deadline is not a very good time to do so. His stock goes up before the draft, if a desperate team may offer a 3rd, if they need a FS then getting a 3rd for him isn't great and they should and can do better, it is not a Lynch type situation. The team that might do this would be a high pick too as they would have to think they have a chance at and in the POs. And that is if they if they trade him at all, I would just do what they are doing and let the chips fall until the off season when we have a better idea of how it all plays out. He might play (maybe) and be crap but I think he won't be. If we make the POs he would be an asset to the team and playing for a contract even more so. The team still holds the cards in many ways. I wouldn't give in, let him be "injured" oh well, it is only one roster spot. What are we going to save it for an extra kicker?

And the locker room in this equation really isn't that important. If they continue to show they are on the way up players will want to play here, they may feel some resentment toward him but they too know that "it is a business" and I am sure some even feel for him. I doubt it is as divisive as it is being made out to be, he is not Aaron Maybe.

Lastly, he isn't doing smart things, if he could be playing. Yes, he may get hurt, it could be bad enough to end his career even but odds are teams would show more interest in FA if he gave it his all. Even with his talent. He isn't Revis either but injury isn't that much of a determining factor, he will get decently paid unless his feet fall off (and 7 million plus what he has gotten the last few years should be easy living for a long, long time).

One thing I don't get about Jerry Sunshine's column, that last statement above, if the Bills had given Byrd a top 5 deal, he would have signed. I bought they did hat and he wanted to be THE top paid safety? Is this not the case?

As we have seen, safety play is not critical in Pettine's scheme. His D is all about pressure up front, close pressure from the corners with pass plays being over (due to the pressure) in under 3 seconds. Need pro bowl corners, not safeties, in this defense. Who cares? Spend the cap money on Spiller, Dareus, Carrington, guys who make this particular defense work. Heck, Jim Leonhard is a workable safety in Pettine's scheme. Byrd needs to go to some tampa - 2 team where safeties are in the play a lot more. I have to believe scheme plays into how they are dealing with Byrd. We need McKelvin, Brooks and Gilmore back, not Byrd, unless he can play pressure corner.

Edited by 8and8Forever

The only problem with trading Byrd is that NOW OR BEFORE the trade deadline is not a very good time to do so. His stock goes up before the draft, if a desperate team may offer a 3rd, if they need a FS then getting a 3rd for him isn't great and they should and can do better, it is not a Lynch type situation. The team that might do this would be a high pick too as they would have to think they have a chance at and in the POs. And that is if they if they trade him at all, I would just do what they are doing and let the chips fall until the off season when we have a better idea of how it all plays out. He might play (maybe) and be crap but I think he won't be. If we make the POs he would be an asset to the team and playing for a contract even more so. The team still holds the cards in many ways. I wouldn't give in, let him be "injured" oh well, it is only one roster spot. What are we going to save it for an extra kicker?

And the locker room in this equation really isn't that important. If they continue to show they are on the way up players will want to play here, they may feel some resentment toward him but they too know that "it is a business" and I am sure some even feel for him. I doubt it is as divisive as it is being made out to be, he is not Aaron Maybe.

Lastly, he isn't doing smart things, if he could be playing. Yes, he may get hurt, it could be bad enough to end his career even but odds are teams would show more interest in FA if he gave it his all. Even with his talent. He isn't Revis either but injury isn't that much of a determining factor, he will get decently paid unless his feet fall off (and 7 million plus what he has gotten the last few years should be easy living for a long, long time).

Great points, but it's best to dump out the trash before it stinks up the house.

http://www.buffalone...two-bills-drive

Life is no fun unless you do something risky....

Listen when I first read OP I was kinda on Byrd side, he played hurt last year... had a nice season, was good off the field ,played out his rookie deal. So maybe I was willing to give him some slack because the Bills didnt pay him what he wanted and he was a bit burned by that.

Now after seeing Urbick , Spiller, Stevie, Kyle, Super Mario, McLovin, Mr Big Stuff ( God I love his nickname :) ) not only get hurt and fight back on to the field there has to be some talk in the locker room about Byrd.

Really dude played with the same injury last year....

If he gonna be a B word about his money then let him go, there I said it. In the NFL you can be replaced...easy.