For those who have watched Manuel

Mikie2times

Hackett and Marrone has EJ running a very limited set of plays. Some folks here complain he's too conservative but considering EJ only had half a training camp it's probably a good idea. He's not taking big chances on throws so, yeah, he checks down often but there have been a few long throws to keep teams honest.

His accuracy is pretty good on short and medium throws, not so much on long ones. He's only run a few times. I can't recall a single read option where he took off with the ball. His runs were mainly scrambles. Luckily those have been few since the O-line protection has been pretty good. I don't think he's been sacked yet.

His best quality seems to be his calm. The guy doesn't get down on himself or rattled. Right before he led that game wining drive he had a couple of tough turnovers. He just shook them off.

Yes he's made some bad throws, but he's also made great throws that get called back on dumb penalties. That's still a problem for the Bills,

PTR

This is probably the best analysis of EJ to date. Also, he does not commit a bunch of dumb turnovers like most rookie QB's. Rather my rookie QB check down too quickly than heave up an ill-advised interception. He will improve. Rember, Ben Rothlesburger only threw about 15 passes a game his rookie year. (they had Bettis, but we have Spiller and Freddie, who we need to use more).

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is probably the best analysis of EJ to date. Also, he does not commit a bunch of dumb turnovers like most rookie QB's. Rather my rookie QB check down too quickly than heave up an ill-advised interception. He will improve. Rember, Ben Rothlesburger only threw about 15 passes a game his rookie year. (they had Bettis, but we have Spiller and Freddie, who we need to use more).

Great points here. And you can bet this is being drilled into EJ's head every time he's in a poor down/distance situation. But, he's still taking his shots when he sees them so that tells me Hackett trusts his QB a lot.

GO BILLS!!!

I really like what I've seen. He's reading the defense and making high percentage throws, hard to complain about that.

First week he made a nice throw between LB and Safety to Chandler that set up the Woods TD. Also, a nice touch throw to Stevie in back of end zone week one as well.

Second week, great slot dig route to Stevie IN STRIDE for about 30 YAC to set up Freddie TD. Final drive was awesome as well. I have no problem with checking down to our RBs. They are skilled players and can make people miss in space.

I do think the long ball needs to improve but I am impressed with where he's at so far.

I also think it's refreshing to have a tall quarterback that can stand up tall in the pocket and make quick throws. Better than Fitzy's long laboring release that get's batted down at the line.

Thanks for all the excellent feedback guys! I used to post a lot, but the last decade or so, well, I think it's taken a few years off all of us. I feel as if I somehow decided to try and take a step back from the Bills. Just not take it to obsessive levels, too much disapointment. EJ really made me think, both good and bad.

It stands to reason with the way the preseason played out with his injury that he would be running a fairly plain offense the first few weeks. Even outside of that, how many rookies really get the full playbook right away? It's pretty rare seeing the young ones getting deep into progressions, so this might just be an area that will be difficult to judge for awhile.

Slow release comment, was more based on slow decisions not his actual release. I don't remember how quick of a draw he has. Sounds like it's pretty quick once he makes his mind up, my concern was how long has it been taking him to make his mind up.

Why So Serious? With work the way it is, I just can't see myself ponying up for the Ticket right now. I'm just immeresed in work every Sunday from 9am to 9pm. This team does look exciting, young, love our WR's. I just think I will wait to go Sunday Ticket until I feel things are gelling a little. At that point I will get my shift changed.

Chris Heff- You hit it on the head with my concerns, but thanks for expanding on what was happenning at FSU. Sometimes it's really hard to figure what is creating the issues when you just watch. Scheme, players? Sounds like scheme and players didn't exactly compliment EJ at FSU.

It sounds like he has a lot of things to be encouraged about. Also sounds like a lot of unkowns. Par for the course I suspect with any young QB. The forums seem excited which is exciting to me, I'm just trained so half empty on this team. I'm sure many of you feel that way. I have to say it was that game winner that had me thinking big time about what we might have. But then I read about the INT just prior (later I noticed on replay the PI probably forced the INT) I also noticed the blow coverage on the fade at the end. So the pessimist in my came back out again and discredited the game winning drive. At this point I feel much better about it though, as well as EJ.

More responses welcome, just wanted to post, thank, and ackowlege those that provided insights into our new QB.

I really like what I've seen. He's reading the defense and making high percentage throws, hard to complain about that.

First week he made a nice throw between LB and Safety to Chandler that set up the Woods TD. Also, a nice touch throw to Stevie in back of end zone week one as well.

Second week, great slot dig route to Stevie IN STRIDE for about 30 YAC to set up Freddie TD. Final drive was awesome as well. I have no problem with checking down to our RBs. They are skilled players and can make people miss in space.

I do think the long ball needs to improve but I am impressed with where he's at so far.

I also think it's refreshing to have a tall quarterback that can stand up tall in the pocket and make quick throws. Better than Fitzy's long laboring release that get's batted down at the line.

The final drive last week was not "checkdowns" -- I think that reporting has been inaccurate. Those looked like designed dumpoffs to RBs over the middle where yards would be easy to come by. The whole design of that drive seemed to be to get down the field quickly so we'd have an opportunity to take some shots in the end zone.

Thanks for all the excellent feedback guys! I used to post a lot, but the last decade or so, well, I think it's taken a few years off all of us. I feel as if I somehow decided to try and take a step back from the Bills. Just not take it to obsessive levels, too much disapointment. EJ really made me think, both good and bad.

It stands to reason with the way the preseason played out with his injury that he would be running a fairly plain offense the first few weeks. Even outside of that, how many rookies really get the full playbook right away? It's pretty rare seeing the young ones getting deep into progressions, so this might just be an area that will be difficult to judge for awhile.

Slow release comment, was more based on slow decisions not his actual release. I don't remember how quick of a draw he has. Sounds like it's pretty quick once he makes his mind up, my concern was how long has it been taking him to make his mind up.

Why So Serious? With work the way it is, I just can't see myself ponying up for the Ticket right now. I'm just immeresed in work every Sunday from 9am to 9pm. This team does look exciting, young, love our WR's. I just think I will wait to go Sunday Ticket until I feel things are gelling a little. At that point I will get my shift changed.

Chris Heff- You hit it on the head with my concerns, but thanks for expanding on what was happenning at FSU. Sometimes it's really hard to figure what is creating the issues when you just watch. Scheme, players? Sounds like scheme and players didn't exactly compliment EJ at FSU.

It sounds like he has a lot of things to be encouraged about. Also sounds like a lot of unkowns. Par for the course I suspect with any young QB. The forums seem excited which is exciting to me, I'm just trained so half empty on this team. I'm sure many of you feel that way. I have to say it was that game winner that had me thinking big time about what we might have. But then I read about the INT just prior (later I noticed on replay the PI probably forced the INT) I also noticed the blow coverage on the fade at the end. So the pessimist in my came back out again and discredited the game winning drive. At this point I feel much better about it though, as well as EJ.

More responses welcome, just wanted to post, thank, and ackowlege those that provided insights into our new QB.

What about NFL Rewind? Only $30 or so for the season. https://gamerewind.nfl.com/nflgr/secure/packages?ttv=1

I will reply tonight to this. Soooo someone quote me so I get the notification and remember. It might be late, though. Busy day

So noted. So quoted.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the mentality of the shell- shocked posters here. EJ is a raw talent with tremendous upside potential. He's already the best QB prospect we've had since Bledsomuch. Not sure if its college rivalries or automatic gain-saying against FO decisions that I'm hearing. But fer cryin out loud, can we just sit back, relax, and enjoy watching him develop? Crimes, People around here would have tried to run Brett Favre out of town after his first year of playing.

The final drive last week was not "checkdowns" -- I think that reporting has been inaccurate. Those looked like designed dumpoffs to RBs over the middle where yards would be easy to come by. The whole design of that drive seemed to be to get down the field quickly so we'd have an opportunity to take some shots in the end zone.

You're right, that drive was Brady like. Take the underneath stuff, methodically work the ball down the field.

I wasn't really referring to that drive, mostly the first two games in general but I guess i wrote it right after I talked about the last drive so my bad.

Didn't see the drive eball, but I would tend to agree with what you said. Throw out progressions in the two minute drill for a lot of the plays that are ran. If the defense will give you 10-15 on a RB flat or drag checkdown, you take it and you get your arse downfield. Eventually you have to take your shots, but I have no problem with EJ taking what the defense was giving him and getting into position to take that downfield shot (if that is indeed what happenned).

I wasn't really referring to that drive, mostly the first two games in general but I guess i wrote it right after I talked about the last drive so my bad.

Yeah, as soon as I posted I thought about that. I pretty much agree with everything else you typed.

I also felt on that interception that Graham could have done more. Shouldn't he have been coming back to that ball instead of waiting for it?

Yes, but it was a TERRIBLE decision... He stared him down for soooo long and the second he threw the ball (WR was in picture yet, camera was still on EJ) i had a really bad feeling cuz he really telegraphed that pass and there were alot of Panthers around the ball.

He checks down sometimes a little too fast but all in all, he;s been fantastic. To have the sack, strip fumble and on next drive throw that awful int and then the next drive looking very confused on 3rd and almost threw another pick on attempt to Freddy... To come back and lead a 2 min drill with no timeouts is great. Mind u, alot of the plays on that drive were checkdowns of which 2 were over the middle that ran alot of clock..

The play of the game was made by Freddy. Once we crossed midfield, which was after the 2 checkdowns to Freddy and CJ, Manuel made a mistake that should have cost us the game. With like 35-40 seconds left on clock, he checked down again to Freddy basically at LOS if not behind with a defender wrapped right up on him. Freddy made the smartest play of game and DROPPED ball on purpose. If not for the savvy vet play to drop the ball knowing he was gonna get tackled in bounds for no gain and running precious seconds of clock, we would not have been in position to get in red zone..

I've been extremely impressed with Freddy's leadership on this team. I love having 2 RB's that can both be effective running the ball and catching it and still have completely diff skill sets for "change of pace" backs. Not to mention him catching a ball that was only a 5-6 yarder and breaking a tackle by Kuehchly (not easy thing to do) and pick up 14 yards on play.

CJ is the best player on this offense, but Freddy brings so much to this team even tho it seems he has lost a step or 2 and has very little burst. He plays with guts and is a team captain for a reason. Probably the most respected player in clubhouse.

Didn't see the drive eball, but I would tend to agree with what you said. Throw out progressions in the two minute drill for a lot of the plays that are ran. If the defense will give you 10-15 on a RB flat or drag checkdown, you take it and you get your arse downfield. Eventually you have to take your shots, but I have no problem with EJ taking what the defense was giving him and getting into position to take that downfield shot (if that is indeed what happenned).

I think it is. They got from their 20 to the Panthers 31 pretty quickly using the underneath stuff, then EJ took the shot for Stevie that drew the flag.

Now that might be viable, thanks man! It needs to be on demand streamed content, I dont have cable. So that looks like it could be my best bet. Affordable rates also. I wonder how long it takes for the games to show up? I would love it if I could hibernate and not know the score, come home, and watch the full game after work.

What about NFL Rewind? Only $30 or so for the season. https://gamerewind.n.../packages?ttv=1

I've written all this before. I watched Manuel at FSU. He gets blamed for some things that really should be on his receivers. The FSU offense is perceived by some as simple. Perhaps it is in it's design but not in it's execution, especially for young receivers. That offense is a limited number of plays run out of multiple formations. If a receiver is in the wrong place it can make a QB look indecisive or inaccurate. Manuel also did not have a very good relationship with Jimbo Fisher.

As to Manuel's current play, he is thinking too much. He seems to be so concerned about making a mistake, he is overly cautious,. He also aims the ball at times instead of just throwing it. When he is in a two minute drive he is at his best because he just plays. He did that on Sunday and in the first preseason game. To be able to run the two minute drill is a great quality that some QBs never get. As to the rest of his game, I believe it will come in time, as his confidence builds, the game will slow down and he gets to know his receivers better.

Not sure if you watched Sports Center but they had Marrone mic'ed up. At one point he is on the side line talking to someone(i am guessing EJ, you can not really tell) he says to him this very thing. 'Do not over analyze it, make a decision and go with it'.

The more i watch and listen to marrone he reminds me of a young Parcels.

Not sure if you watched Sports Center but they had Marrone mic'ed up. At one point he is on the side line talking to someone(i am guessing EJ, you can not really tell) he says to him this very thing. 'Do not over analyze it, make a decision and go with it'.

The more i watch and listen to marrone he reminds me of a young Parcels.

I didn't see it.

Would be great if Marrone coached like a young Parcels. I hope he doesn't develop the arrogance.

Now that might be viable, thanks man! It needs to be on demand streamed content, I dont have cable. So that looks like it could be my best bet. Affordable rates also. I wonder how long it takes for the games to show up? I would love it if I could hibernate and not know the score, come home, and watch the full game after work.

I *think* they are available Tuesday. I could be wrong though, I've never used it myself, but I know a few people here do have it.

A couple of weeks ago I looked in that: Sunday 1pm & 4pm games are available immediately after the Sunday night game. Monday games are available on Tuesday, and I forgot when they said the Thursday night games are available, but I think it's on Friday...

Edit: It's at the bottom of the webpage linked to above

Sunday afternoon (1PM ET & 4pm ET) and Sunday night NFL games are available following the conclusion of the Sunday Night Football game telecast. Monday NFL games are available 24 hours after the conclusion of the Monday Night Football game telecast. Thursday NFL games are available shortly after the conclusion of the Thursday Night Football game telecast. Saturday NFL games are available shortly after the conclusion of the Saturday night football game telecast. Due to NFL broadcast restrictions, NFL Game Rewind service is unavailable during the telecast of Sunday Night and Monday Night Football games, as well as during the Super Bowl.
Edited by Campy

I think it is. They got from their 20 to the Panthers 31 pretty quickly using the underneath stuff, then EJ took the shot for Stevie that drew the flag.

That is how any good QB drives his team down in the last 2 minutes. Tom Brady throws five dump-offs, gets his team to about the 15-20 yard line, and then takes his shots.

One of my major criticisms of Fitz was that he refused to do this-- it's why he threw so many bad picks on potential GW drives.