Pro Football Focus Breakdown of Panthers @ Bills

26CornerBlitz

They'd better not take a LG on days 1 or 2. CB, OLB, TE are all higher priorities.

In the end, how much do these evaluations really mean? Brown was rated terribly, but the team still rushed for 4.5 ypc and allowed only 1 sack. Manuel was rated below average but he threw for almost 300 yards, had a QB rating of nearly 90 and led the game winning drive. Whatever they're evaluating does not seem to translate into whether or not these these guys are contributing to the team's success.

Spiller's YPC and Brown's effectiveness are not necessarily tied together. If they run it to the right (off of Urbik who is consistently a bull in the run game) all Brown needs to do is not get blown up so bad the play goes nowhere.

He seems to be alright at that. But it seems like the O has been REALLY leaning on Wood/Urbik/Pears in the run game. Probably because they know Brown is the weak link by far.

The stat we need to see here is Spiller's YPC off of each OL position.

4th in the league after two games with a very respectable 4.3 ypc.

Same can't be said for the Titans who sit 9th with a poor 3.1 ypc. They just aren't the same running team since they signed Levitre.

Tennessee also drafted guard Chance Warmack 10th overall.

Their head coach is Mike Munchak, a HOF O-lineman.

Their O-line coach is Bruce Matthews, a HOF O-lineman.

Not sure what it all means but even with Chris Johnson and a cast with dazzling credentials, they're having a hard time running the ball.

[/size]

Well, there's a reason PFF had him ranked 39th as a run blocking G last year, so this comes as no surprise to me.

I put no stock in PFF's analysis. It's a great attraction for fans because they are guys that watch the game like we do, except over and over and over and over and over... Their analysis simply lacks the context to be meaningful at a high level. Which is why agents don't go into negotiations citing PFF's analysis as a way to justify giving their clients a raise.

Do we know this though?

Knowing the reputation of sports agents, it seems like they'd grasp onto anything that would strengthen the argument that their client deserves more money.

Just a thought.

I'd push CB way down with McKelvin looking good, and Brooks and Robey looking solid. FS maybe, since Byrd will likely be gone, but that's not a 1st round pick.

And Legursky could be back soon. May not mean anything, but at least more competition.

I'm thinking the same way...McKelvin is looking good in this D and when Gilmore comes back we could have a solid CB tandem...nickle corner will be the question...do they stay with Brooks who can't seem to keep his foot of glass together, or maybe Robey takes that spot...I think Safety is the more pressing spot to take in the 1st 3 rounds....but why is it not a 1st round pick??..just wondering...is there no 1st round safety comeing out this year or do you see a higher priority?

I'm thinking the same way...McKelvin is looking good in this D and when Gilmore comes back we could have a solid CB tandem...nickle corner will be the question...do they stay with Brooks who can't seem to keep his foot of glass together, or maybe Robey takes that spot...I think Safety is the more pressing spot to take in the 1st 3 rounds....but why is it not a 1st round pick??..just wondering...is there no 1st round safety comeing out this year or do you see a higher priority?

I think Robey already took that spot. He played a lot more than Brooks in the opener, even before Brooks got hurt, IIRC.

Higher priority. And a lot of high picks at safety haven't panned out.

Serious question; just what are the PFF staff's qualifications to grade players? Very quickly they have become a "go-to" resource for player evaluation, but who are they?

Somewhat related , heard a great interview with Chip Kelly in the preseason . Essentially said they were not making impressions of players off last year tapes because they simply had no idea of what the call was. For instance, guard may block the DT toward the inside as the protection calls for the center to slide and help, but the center screwed up, and it appears as if the guard gets cleanly beat on a one on one block to the inside.

If a pro staff can't be sure, not sure how these guys can be.

Somewhat related , heard a great interview with Chip Kelly in the preseason . Essentially said they were not making impressions of players off last year tapes because they simply had no idea of what the call was. For instance, guard may block the DT toward the inside as the protection calls for the center to slide and help, but the center screwed up, and it appears as if the guard gets cleanly beat on a one on one block to the inside.

If a pro staff can't be sure, not sure how these guys can be.

I think this is a very valid point. We as fans have no idea how exactly a play is suppose to turn out, who was suppose to block who, which route was suppose to be run, etc. So how could an outside observer have any idea and therefore grade a players performance?

In the end, these evaluations need to be taken with a grain of salt.

I've said it before... PFF grades on non-skill players are not to be taken seriously. Mario may have had his best game as a pro (that I've seen at least) and was dominant both vs. the pass and run in this game. PFF has not a clue who has outside contain in our hybrid complex defensive scheme from down to down. The grades are interesting and entertaining but not to be taken as gospel.

I've said it before... PFF grades on non-skill players are not to be taken seriously. Mario may have had his best game as a pro (that I've seen at least) and was dominant both vs. the pass and run in this game. PFF has not a clue who has outside contain in our hybrid complex defensive scheme from down to down. The grades are interesting and entertaining but not to be taken as gospel.

I think that was very true in this game particularly. The entire game, Mario basically shadowed Newton. On the read option type plays, Mario just followed Newton and went right to him. Newton could see him and handed off almost every time. On a rating, PFF would probably give him a fail on that play because it would look like his blocker took him out of the play but it was a brilliant strategy by Pettine and had a direct effect on the game. Newton never beat us with his legs on runs. That was an underrated element of our defense on Sunday. I loved it.

I think that was very true in this game particularly. The entire game, Mario basically shadowed Newton. On the read option type plays, Mario just followed Newton and went right to him. Newton could see him and handed off almost every time. On a rating, PFF would probably give him a fail on that play because it would look like his blocker took him out of the play but it was a brilliant strategy by Pettine and had a direct effect on the game. Newton never beat us with his legs on runs. That was an underrated element of our defense on Sunday. I loved it.

Their (PFF's) take on Mario's play in the run game didn't make sense to me when you understand that he was responsible for Newton. Mario did a great job against Carolina on Sunday as opposed to last season in Toronto against Seattle.

Pettine's game-planning and utilization of our talent has been most impressive indeed!

Go back and watch any 5 random plays and you'll see Brown get abused on 4 of those plays. I have nothing against the guy, but its obvious he is a PS player playing because we have no one better.

At this point, it seems like we are doing a good job avoiding his mistakes. But it's certainly a position we should be looking to upgrade during and after the season.

Aren't we expecting Legursky back?