Buffalo vs. Carolina: Official Game Day Thread

The Wiz

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite plays on the final drive:

1) I'm pretty convinced that Fred Jackson deliberately dropped that pass just past the midfield marker. If he caught it, it would have been terrible - a loss of yardage and a ton of time lost. I think they have no chance of winning if he makes that catch. Not the best of decisions by EJ to throw it there (or to throw it to Spiller in the middle of the field; he dropped it, but not on purpose).

2) The man-like avoidance of a sure sack by Manuel a couple of plays later. There are hardly any QBs in the NFL who don't go down there. He then had the good sense to make a sideline throw that picked up a few yards and stopped the clock. His strength and athleticism there saved the day.

That % is going to go down when he's not throwing 15 passes a game to the flats or to a RB.

He needs to work on his accuracy on passes over 10 yards. It's rough.

But that's ok. That can be worked on.

I think this shows the two weeks he missed in practise. I have high hopes for EJ considering how good he is during 2 minute drives, something he has practised and refined most during camp. There also seems to be the occasional route issue as well as timing. But all seem to be very coachable mistakes.

Check downs to the TE aren't an awful thing, but with Chandler what you see is what you get. If you hit him for no gain you may get a yard or two. If you hit him 3 yards down the field you may get 4-5. He will occasionally break free but that aint his thing. If you're going to use him let him get down field a bit. Different game plan today. Last week it was the RBs (how many catches did they have?), this week Chandler.

He checks down a lot, and sometimes he does it very quickly.

Hopefully over time that will change.

1) I'm pretty convinced that Fred Jackson deliberately dropped that pass just past the midfield marker. If he caught it, it would have been terrible - a loss of yardage and a ton of time lost. I think they have no chance of winning if he makes that catch. Not the best of decisions by EJ to throw it there (or to throw it to Spiller in the middle of the field; he dropped it, but not on purpose).

I agree. cathcing that would have been horrendous

I think this shows the two weeks he missed in practise. I have high hopes for EJ considering how good he is during 2 minute drives, something he has practised and refined most during camp. There also seems to be the occasional route issue as well as timing. But all seem to be very coachable mistakes.

Agreed.

I think his issues are very coach able.

He definitely needs to work on his long ball as well.

Check downs to the TE aren't an awful thing, but with Chandler what you see is what you get. If you hit him for no gain you may get a yard or two. If you hit him 3 yards down the field you may get 4-5. He will occasionally break free but that aint his thing. If you're going to use him let him get down field a bit. Different game plan today. Last week it was the RBs (how many catches did they have?), this week Chandler.

Gailey used Chandler a little deeper, something Hackett hopefully picks up on. Great comment.

You have an absurd expectation of performance. You want EJ to play better than just about every NFL QB after two weeks as a starter. Here's a clue: they all have incompletions, check downs, turnovers, and ugly plays. The good ones still manage to win despite that.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Again that goes back to camp I believe, he has the arm for it for sure. But during camp the defense was murder at times resulting in a lot of INTs on deep throws due to pressure (also a lot of TDs when successfull). Might be a confidence thing or maybe even conservative playcalling from Hackett as he doesnt seem to hesitate to throw the deep ball on his 2 minute drives.

Bottomline is that he looks the real deal.

Edited by bladiebla

Agreed.

I think his issues are very coach able.

Dude, there isn't ANYTHING he doesn't need to work on....this is why people are hacking on you. It's just kind of obvious that a rookie QB - especially one who missed half of the preseason games - isn't going to be Peyton Manning out of the gate.

2) The man-like avoidance of a sure sack by Manuel a couple of plays later. There are hardly any QBs in the NFL who don't go down there. He then had the good sense to make a sideline throw that picked up a few yards and stopped the clock. His strength and athleticism there saved the day.

+a bunch

I think what happens is that when he doesn't like what he sees or if his first few progressions aren't open, he decides to dump it off and not force it. Even though this seems like the obvious thing to do, not many QB's do it, especially rookies and our past QBs. The results isn't usually a bad result either, given that we have two very good RBs to give it to.

You have an absurd expectation of performance. You want EJ to play better than just about every NFL QB after two weeks as a starter. Here's a clue: they all have incompletions, check downs, turnovers, and ugly plays. The good ones still manage to win despite that.

PTR

We have a bingo.

Absolutely, especially #1. Great decision by Jackson.

PTR

I never said that.

I only said what he has to improve on.

Again that goes back to camp I believe, he has the arm for it for sure. But during camp the defense was murder at times resulting in a lot of INTs on deep throws due to pressure (also a lot of TDs when successfull). Might be a confidence thing or maybe even conservative playcalling from Hackett as he doesnt seem to hesitate to throw the deep ball on his 2 minute drives.

Bottomline is that he looks the real deal.

He definitely has the arm.

In pre-game warmups he was slinging 40 hard passes with the flick of his wrist.

I thought the same thing! Smart player!

Dude, there isn't ANYTHING he doesn't need to work on....this is why people are hacking on you. It's just kind of obvious that a rookie QB - especially one who missed half of the preseason games - isn't going to be Peyton Manning out of the gate.

Hell, Peyton Manning wasn't "Peyton Manning" out of the gate!

EJ reminded me a lot of Trent today, actually. Another game like that and the Buffalo media will anoint him Captain Checkdown, too.

No.

Incredible atmosphere at the Ralph today... Noticed we kept the joint rocking all game, especially when the D was out there!!! Felt really good about the performances of Mario, Kiko, Leodis, EJ (in the 1, 2, and 4 quarters), and pretty happy with how Robey played....

Not saying we are instant contenders for the division, but if we are who we looked like today, we could be turning this ship around...

EJ reminded me a lot of Trent today, actually. Another game like that and the Buffalo media will anoint him Captain Checkdown, too.

Yeah, Trent's TWIN!!! 80 yards, no time outs, about 1:38... Nice scramble.... Game winning touchdown.... Showed great poise and leadership.... Just like Trent... Oh wait...