What if the Bills game is blacked out?

apikefish

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You gotta go a long way... Syracuse is part of the black out zone and I think you'd have to go to Utica!

Elmira / Corning is outside the blackout zone. Not always televised there, though, especially when the NJ teams are on. If the game is on Fox, Bath might get the Corning Fox feed, I think that's only a little over an hour from Rochester.

Edited by Captain Caveman

when did the line extend past Rochester? I thought it was 75 mile limit and I know Syracuse is more than 75 miles.

any broadcaster that has a signal that hits any area within a 75 ... per wikki

when I lived up there I would go out to macedon

IIRC Utica is outside the blackout zone. I think my brother got to watch a few blacked out games when he attended college out there

Utica is in the blackout zone for CBS. I whine about this at least twice each season on TBD. If the game is on FOX (which I think happens if the Bills host an NFC team) Utica will get it because the local FOX channel is based in Rome, and Rome is clearly out of the blackout zone. If the Bills host an AFC team, then the game is on CBS (I think). The CBS channel on Utica Time Warner Cable is from Syracuse, and Syracuse is in the blackout zone. Theoretically the Syracuse over-the-air broadcast can reach into the blackout zone. That is no longer the case ever since the transition to the digital broadcat format. However, somebody at OBD decided not to redraw the blackout zone boundary in order to entice people in the Syracuse area to go to the game.

I believe that strategy backfires somewhat, because there are far more Jets fans in Utica than there are Bills fans. The Jets fans are glad when the Bills game is blacked out since the local broadcast will show the Jets game when that happens.

Edited by Gray Beard

You gotta go a long way... Syracuse is part of the black out zone and I think you'd have to go to Utica!

No CBS affiliate in Utica. Albany, Watertown or Binghamton, assuming those affiliates carry the the Bills instead of the Jets. But here's a novel idea: buy a ticket to the game and go.

PTR

BUY A TICKET

:excl: This makes no sense. If this is the last ticket sold, then the game won't be blacked out. And then buying the ticket isn't needed. It's circular logic.

I say move to the Carolinas! Game won't be blacked out there and that's probably cheaper than buying an NFL ticket. Also, probably get to hang out with some Duck Dynasty kinda peeps. Huge bonus that.

No CBS affiliate in Utica. Albany, Watertown or Binghamton, assuming those affiliates carry the the Bills instead of the Jets. But here's a novel idea: buy a ticket to the game and go.

PTR

Nah much better to watch at home I'll be pissed if this game is blacked out

PTR

They would be traveling farther to find the game on TV in a bar, than it is from Rochester to Buffalo.

I don't think you will have to worry this weekend anyway. According to the Bills they are down to 2500 tickets left which I believe is in the area where the TV station will buy them out in order to televise the game.

For future games we Rochestarians will need to find alternatives. I'm not about to shell out the money to pay for 5 tickets (or spend an afternoon there), and I won't watch online either due to poor quality. So if we get blacked out I generally either setup my dish and pull the game in directly or just wait for the rebroadcast.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I don't think you will have to worry this weekend anyway. According to the Bills they are down to 2500 tickets left which I believe is in the area where the TV station will buy them out in order to televise the game.

For future games we Rochestarians will need to find alternatives. I'm not about to shell out the money to pay for 5 tickets (or spend an afternoon there), and I won't watch online either due to poor quality. So if we get blacked out I generally either setup my dish and pull the game in directly or just wait for the rebroadcast.

What is this rebroadcast you keep referring to? NFL Rewind? Okay. But games are not all replayed on NFL network (the Pats game is but not each week.)

PTR

Utica is in the blackout zone for CBS. I whine about this at least twice each season on TBD. If the game is on FOX (which I think happens if the Bills host an NFC team) Utica will get it because the local FOX channel is based in Rome, and Rome is clearly out of the blackout zone. If the Bills host an AFC team, then the game is on CBS (I think). The CBS channel on Utica Time Warner Cable is from Syracuse, and Syracuse is in the blackout zone. Theoretically the Syracuse over-the-air broadcast can reach into the blackout zone. That is no longer the case ever since the transition to the digital broadcat format. However, somebody at OBD decided not to redraw the blackout zone boundary in order to entice people in the Syracuse area to go to the game.

I believe that strategy backfires somewhat, because there are far more Jets fans in Utica than there are Bills fans. The Jets fans are glad when the Bills game is blacked out since the local broadcast will show the Jets game when that happens.

Utica just has a FOX affiliate and CBS is from Syracuse.

the road team decides the network. NFC (FOX), AFC (CBS)

What is this rebroadcast you keep referring to? NFL Rewind? Okay. But games are not all replayed on NFL network (the Pats game is but not each week.)

PTR

In Rochester, and I assume Buffalo, the local CBS affiliate rebroadcasts blacked out games at least one time during the following week, and the time warner cable sports channel usually does as well, even more times.

PTR

Actually with this game on FOX---fortunately the Giants are on CBS this week. If the Giants were on FOX then Syracuse, Utica, albany, Binghamton would have likely aired the Giants.

In syracuse if there is only one game and both the bills and giants ae on FOX---Giants game is aired.

They would be traveling farther to find the game on TV in a bar, than it is from Rochester to Buffalo.

they could travel down to Corning....

Actually with this game on FOX---fortunately the Giants are on CBS this week. If the Giants were on FOX then Syracuse, Utica, albany, Binghamton would have likely aired the Giants.

In syracuse if there is only one game and both the bills and giants ae on FOX---Giants game is aired.

they could travel down to Corning....

Stop trying to make it happen. Corning is not going to happen.