We may not blitz Brady on Sunday

BisonMan

I think the Bills will want to play a "four corners" type strategy for this game. Keeping it lower scoring is the key. By blitzing, you open up your inexperienced and talent-limited CBs to long passes and big plays. The Bills cannot afford to let the Pats have big plays in this game. It's better to let Brady try to dink-and-dunk you. The Pats inexperienced WR core is key to this strategy.

The Pats run a lot of option routes. With numerous players in confusing coverages, the decisions for these receivers will be suspect. Brady will likely read the defensive scheme correctly on a given play but the same cannot be said of these WRs. They go left and Brady knows they should go right. INTs result from these kinds of mistakes. The fewer DBs on the field on a pass play (like when you blitz), the easier the decision is for the WRs.

As a bonus, rushing 4 (sometimes 3 or 5) typically allows you to defend the run better and prevents the large gash run that results in large gains. Make the Pats take their time down the field and jump on the mistakes that eventually come with complex coverage schemes.

Meanwhile, I think the Bills run-run-run the ball with CJ and some Fred when CJ pukes. EJ makes some downfield throws early to keep the NE safeties honest and out of run-stuffing mode.

If the Pats score more than 28 points, we likely lose. Shorten the game by controlling the ball and making them take time to move the ball and we have a chance.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a little early to anoint Kiko as anything but a high motor guy. Top 5 Dline? It is basically the same DLine that did nothing last year. Let these guys earn some praise and not set expectations based on fantasy.

Didn't anoint anyone anything. Hence the word "potential" on both.

My expectations are a blowout. We have POTENTIAL strengths. Hence my take.

I want to see the defense from the Vikings PS game. Ponder was scared for his life and completely clueless with what they they were throwing at him. Granted the Vikes didn't game plan or apparently expect us to even play defense, but I want to see that again. and again. until Marcia is standing with her helmet off pouting because she can't get back on the field.

Giants did it without heavy blitzing, and their secondary was beat up too. I still insist that against Brady, safeties are more important than CBs. Look at the Ravens AFC championship game - Pollard was the key.

Without heavy blitzing, perhaps. But they blitzed plenty.

That Ravens gave was heavily blitzed as well. Corey Graham blitzed on that key 3rd and 2 in the 1st quarter and stopped Ridley in the back field forcing the field goal. Then right before the half the Pats are on their famous 2 minute drive, Ravens blitz, Brady gets flustered and runs into the back of the ref lol. A couple plays later they blitz again, Brady is flushed out of the pocket and slides (and kicks a Ravens player - should have been a penalty). Brady had to get up, run back to the line, and by that time there was less than 5 seconds left and had to settle for a field goal. Not to mention the reason the Patriots were knocked out of that game was that crucial knockout/fumble by Ridley in the 4th quarter. That was an oucher.

But anyway. There's more than one way to skin a cat and more than one way to beat Brady. But let's not pretend that blitzing him hasn't worked. It has. Many times. Including in AFC Championship games and Super Bowls.

Tip his passes at the line

This too.

The Bills run defense has yet to prove itself as they were shredded last year against the Pats and this preseason vs the Redskins. So if the Bills can't stop the run, then Brady doesn't have to worry about throwing it as much.

Did Kyle Williams, Mario Williams or Marcel Dareus play against Washington?

Not a smart ass question; a serious one. I don't think any of them played, which would explain getting shredded.

Bills MUST blitz. Part of changing culture is making teams HATE playing the Bills. The Jets have done better than the Bills the past 5 years against the Pats because they get in Brady's face. They make him pay. The Bills are in a marathon back to the top of the East not a sprint. They need to help put more miles on Brady anyway they legally can. Make him PAY. These hits have a cumulative effect. Make Brady hate playing the Bills now they'll beat him later and / or get him out of the division and enjoying a long retirement earlier.

Based on the history that Pettine has with the Jets, it's possible that the Bills might not employ exotic blitz schemes against the Pats on Sunday. In the 2011 playoffs, the Jets did just the opposite and put a significant number of players into coverage rather than blitzing Brady and it worked.

Given the Bills' weaknesses in the secondary, this may be a shrewd move. Dropping more into coverage also may help the Bills from getting gashed by the Pats running game, which is now very good.

Thoughts?

if we don't get people in Brady's face he will pick us apart.

Not a smart ass question; a serious one. I don't think any of them played, which would explain getting shredded.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2013082400/2013/PRE3/bills@redskins#menu=highlights&tab=analyze&analyze=boxscore

Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus did play and are on the stat sheet. In regards to Mario, I forget if he played or not as I didn't see his name listed on the stat sheet. Still, you have to be concerned about the Bills run D this year. I know this going to be unpopular to say, but if Kyle Williams and Marcel Dareus can't get it done up front this season, then it's time the Bills look to replace those guys next season. I like both players, but the run defense has been atrocious for years now and it needs to be fixed.

http://www.nfl.com/g...nalyze=boxscore

Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus did play and are on the stat sheet. In regards to Mario, I forget if he played or not as I didn't see his name listed on the stat sheet. Still, you have to be concerned about the Bills run D this year. I know this going to be unpopular to say, but if Kyle Williams and Marcel Dareus can't get it done up front this season, then it's time the Bills look to replace those guys next season. I like both players, but the run defense has been atrocious for years now and it needs to be fixed.

Couldn't agree with you more. I honestly think coaching and antiquated schemes were the culprits. I expect to see improvements in the run-stuffing area. Let's hope!!!

Couldn't agree with you more. I honestly think coaching and antiquated schemes were the culprits. I expect to see improvements in the run-stuffing area. Let's hope!!!

I hope you're right. Wannstedt tried running a 20 year old defense that didn't work, and he had no answers whatsoever to fix it.

Can we define a coverage sack and a blitz sack here? The Jets got coverage sacks. You can rattle Brady by disrupting his reads. If I have time I will post a 1,000 pager but there are a million myths on him.

You do not beat Brady by getting in his face. He has poise to overcome it and officials to call pe alties. You don't beat him covering his guys, either. He is good enough to get the ball where it needs to be. You don't scare him by forcing him to run at your MLB. He sends the ball right there.

You beat Brady by being everywhere and make him go beyond the third read. I would love for PFF to do a study on Bradys conpletitions on the 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th reads. I know it drops quickly

We beat Brady by collapsing the pocket and staying disciplined in our coverage with 5-6 guys playing pass

Those 3 guys got shredded all last year, so them playing is no lock that things are going to be different.

http://www.nfl.com/g...nalyze=boxscore

Until they show different, they ARE the problem.

I think ... with NE's depleted/young receiving corps, as well as Brady's tender knee ... getting in his face and knocking him on his ass early and often is the only way to go.

amen. Blitz early and often. Attack Giants style

I think the Giants two shiny SB rings would have something to say about that.

Giants didn't blitz. They put an insane amount of pressure on Brady using their front 4.

We will die--I mean literally die--if we blitz Brady all day. When the Steelers played those guys in the past and blitzed them, it was a joke. Brady all day to Edelman, Welker, Woodhead, Faulk for a little 8 yard gains.

When the Giants beat The Pats in their last Super Bowl matchup, they kept their arms up to limit visibility and tip passes. Brady and Wilfork were mic'd up in Super Bowl XLVI, One of Brady's comments was “It’s like throwing in a forest, dude, those guys arms are like …”

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4717587/sound-fx-on-super-bowl

Giants didn't blitz. They put an insane amount of pressure on Brady using their front 4.

We will die--I mean literally die--if we blitz Brady all day. When the Steelers played those guys in the past and blitzed them, it was a joke. Brady all day to Edelman, Welker, Woodhead, Faulk for a little 8 yard gains.

Of course the Giants blitzed. And you can review the game tape to see it.

They did get a lot of pressure with their front 4 as well.