We may not blitz Brady on Sunday

BisonMan

I think the Giants two shiny SB rings would have something to say about that.

Giants did it without heavy blitzing, and their secondary was beat up too. I still insist that against Brady, safeties are more important than CBs. Look at the Ravens AFC championship game - Pollard was the key.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The name of the game is the Zone blitz stuff where you bring pressure from different places and clog up the short middle with zones coverage and man up outside. That is the Defense that has won vs the pats, provided:

1) the disguised pass rush fronts get hits on TB

2) the running game is contained

I still can't figure out what the common thread between the Giants and Ravens D has been as both have had notable success against seemingly unstoppable pats teams.

I just hope its not flag city if we get a couple shots on Brady just after he releases the ball.

I actually wouldn't mind them sending a message by getting one early in the game

Giants did it without heavy blitzing, and their secondary was beat up too. I still insist that against Brady, safeties are more important than CBs. Look at the Ravens AFC championship game - Pollard was the key.

That might be true when they had Gronk and Hernandez playing TE to create matchup nightmares but they will have neither this game...no safety is going to effectively cover a WR for very long...

I still can't figure out what the common thread between the Giants and Ravens D has been as both have had notable success against seemingly unstoppable pats teams.

Winning the battles up front. The DL creating pressure without blitzes and controling the run. This is why I think the DT tandem is as important as any position for the Bills this year. Williams and Dareus need to step up.

My take:

We have glaring holes in our secondary, a potentially top 5 d line and a linebacker core highlighted by a potential superstar in the making, Kiko Alonso.

I think the plan of attack will/should be a relentless blitzing attack on Brady, and conservative prevent style in the secondary. Let them beat us with short plays, which they're willing to do, but they won't be scoring 20 points in 2 minutes like they've had in the past.

This, coupled with a mega fast offense could see the Bills pulling in close toward the 4th quarter.

...Or it could be an absolute slaughterfest with a rookie QB, coach, OC and weak corners.

Based on the history that Pettine has with the Jets, it's possible that the Bills might not employ exotic blitz schemes against the Pats on Sunday. In the 2011 playoffs, the Jets did just the opposite and put a significant number of players into coverage rather than blitzing Brady and it worked.

Given the Bills' weaknesses in the secondary, this may be a shrewd move. Dropping more into coverage also may help the Bills from getting gashed by the Pats running game, which is now very good.

Thoughts?

Good post

We have seen what happens when you give Brady time in the pocket. He will nickle and dime and take it all the way down the field.

That's why I think you will see them blitz Kiko straight up the middle with both Mario and Hughes Blitzing from the outside on alot of plays. That with Kyle and Darius up the Middle as well.

The pressure has to come from the Middle of the line. If they can stop the run( that's still an issue BTW) I think they can get to Brady.

Hitting him as much as you can, I would not mind to see em hit him late, as long as it deep in they own territory. ( i am old school, sorry lol)

In the pre-season when defense played "vanilla" they gave up lots of yards to RB's. I really don't see how the Bill's defensive personel has improved over last year. Injuries to Byrd and Gilmore surely make matters worse. I hope Alanzo is an improvement at LB, but that is still somewhat unproven.

My fear: Front 4 and LB's can't stop the run, DB's can't cover. O-line is worse, QB is a rookie

I would so like to be pleasantly suprised........ I'm usually not so negative, but I have gotten my hopes up every year about new players and schemes etc.

I think we should put four guys on the line and rush them hard every play. Three linebackers will back them up and cover the run and the backs out of the backfield. That will leave us with 2 CBs and 2 safeties to cover the TE and WRs. Everybody must play their spot. We are all set.

...D. Wannstadt

I think we should put four guys on the line and rush them hard every play. Three linebackers will back them up and cover the run and the backs out of the backfield. That will leave us with 2 CBs and 2 safeties to cover the TE and WRs. Everybody must play their spot. We are all set.

...D. Wannstadt

Somebody hand me my iggy button lol

My take:

We have glaring holes in our secondary, a potentially top 5 d line and a linebacker core highlighted by a potential superstar in the making, Kiko Alonso.

I think the plan of attack will/should be a relentless blitzing attack on Brady, and conservative prevent style in the secondary. Let them beat us with short plays, which they're willing to do, but they won't be scoring 20 points in 2 minutes like they've had in the past.

This, coupled with a mega fast offense could see the Bills pulling in close toward the 4th quarter.

...Or it could be an absolute slaughterfest with a rookie QB, coach, OC and weak corners.

It's a little early to anoint Kiko as anything but a high motor guy. Top 5 Dline? It is basically the same DLine that did nothing last year. Let these guys earn some praise and not set expectations based on fantasy.

In the pre-season when defense played "vanilla" they gave up lots of yards to RB's. I really don't see how the Bill's defensive personel has improved over last year. Injuries to Byrd and Gilmore surely make matters worse. I hope Alanzo is an improvement at LB, but that is still somewhat unproven.

My fear: Front 4 and LB's can't stop the run, DB's can't cover. O-line is worse, QB is a rookie

I would so like to be pleasantly suprised........ I'm usually not so negative, but I have gotten my hopes up every year about new players and schemes etc.

well Scott is gone, we won't hear Brady yell "43 is the mike LB" and then run all over us..

dont be a buzzkill dude.....we are at 500. (0-0) and still Sept. :flirt:

I usually dont give in until its over...until then I still have some hope for the season.

I can flip that around and say that a depleted/young receiving corps probably won't be able to get open if you drop 7-8 guys into coverage, but the hot read is always open against a blitz. Brady usually destroys blitzes. Then again, if our front 4 can't beat their o-line, he'll have all day to throw, and someone will get open eventually. In other words, it is hard to successfully defend against a good QB. But Pettine (under Ryan) has done it before; let's hope he can do it again.

This is it. Blitzing Brady is not the answer exactly. Getting pressure up the middle and in his face is what rattles Brady. The only reason i dislike Brady is because at times through out his career you see him playing scared. It does not happen often, but i never remember the great ones like Montana, Farve, Kelly, Marino, even Manning being scared. Brady hates to get hit. And he really hates to get hit if it is straight up you beating his oline. This turns Brady on his oline. Does it happen often? Nope. On paper the Bills have the front line to beat an oline straight up. Lets hope this year they do it like they did in the first game of the 2011 season against the Pats.

That might be true when they had Gronk and Hernandez playing TE to create matchup nightmares but they will have neither this game...no safety is going to effectively cover a WR for very long...

Pats haven't had an outside threat since Moss left and the current WRs are still mostly slot guys. Thomkins is the wild card.

I'm with the Giants & Ravens who know how to make the Patriots look ordinary on offense.

It isn't the blitz as much as the ability to collapse the pocket into Brady's face. Brady doesn't like working in a confined space and if guys like Carrington, M. Williams, Dareus, K. Williams can push the New England lineman back into Brady's feet it limits his ability. Brady doesn't have the arm to throw off his back foot nor the mobility to beat you with his feet. Brady needs his feet especially a strong plant foot to be accurate. If the pocket is collapsed Brady struggles as any QB would.

I think ... with NE's depleted/young receiving corps, as well as Brady's tender knee ... getting in his face and knocking him on his ass early and often is the only way to go.

This has ALWAYS been the best way to beat Brady. If you let him stand back there in the pocket he will kill you, no matter how many guys you have back in coverage. You need to hit him hard and often, and he becomes erratic.

I don't think you want to blitz him on every play, but you do need to do it and you need to get into his head. Mr. Brady does not like getting hit.

...D. Wannstadt

Play their spot AND fit it up. We will know pretty quick whether we can write all of last year to the stache or whether we are really that bad.