We may not blitz Brady on Sunday

BisonMan

Based on the history that Pettine has with the Jets, it's possible that the Bills might not employ exotic blitz schemes against the Pats on Sunday. In the 2011 playoffs, the Jets did just the opposite and put a significant number of players into coverage rather than blitzing Brady and it worked.

Given the Bills' weaknesses in the secondary, this may be a shrewd move. Dropping more into coverage also may help the Bills from getting gashed by the Pats running game, which is now very good.

Thoughts?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on the history that Pettine has with the Jets, it's possible that the Bills might not employ exotic blitz schemes against the Pats on Sunday. In the 2011 playoffs, the Jets did just the opposite and put a significant number of players into coverage rather than blitzing Brady and it worked.

Given the Bills' weaknesses in the secondary, this may be a shrewd move. Dropping more into coverage also may help the Bills from getting gashed by the Pats running game, which is now very good.

Thoughts?

LOL.

The Jets had Revis and Cromartie.

We have Brooks and McKelvin.

Not to mention the Jets sacked Brady 5 times that game.

Edited by microscopes

I think ... with NE's depleted/young receiving corps, as well as Brady's tender knee ... getting in his face and knocking him on his ass early and often is the only way to go.

I can flip that around and say that a depleted/young receiving corps probably won't be able to get open if you drop 7-8 guys into coverage, but the hot read is always open against a blitz. Brady usually destroys blitzes. Then again, if our front 4 can't beat their o-line, he'll have all day to throw, and someone will get open eventually. In other words, it is hard to successfully defend against a good QB. But Pettine (under Ryan) has done it before; let's hope he can do it again.

I can flip that around and say that a depleted/young receiving corps probably won't be able to get open if you drop 7-8 guys into coverage, but the hot read is always open against a blitz. Brady usually destroys blitzes. Then again, if our front 4 can't beat their o-line, he'll have all day to throw, and someone will get open eventually. In other words, it is hard to successfully defend against a good QB. But Pettine (under Ryan) has done it before; let's hope he can do it again.

I certainly understand your points but I think Brady struggles with the blitz when more importantly it doesn't get picked up. Brady does not like to get hit, I think that's been proven time and again. That is what I believe is the key to stopping him Sunday.

I think that Brady's body of work has proven that if you blitz him, he will destroy you.

The blue print is out there. Let him get his completions. But keep the pressure with the front four, control the running game and most important, punish the receivers as they get the ball. That's worked for the Jets, Ravens & Giants against Brady.

I think ... with NE's depleted/young receiving corps, as well as Brady's tender knee ... getting in his face and knocking him on his ass early and often is the only way to go.

This has been demonstrated to really be the only way to beat Brady. He HATES getting hit. Welker made his living because Brady loves the quick option route underneath to get the ball out fast. It's absolutely necessary for us to blitz and hit him. He will shred our weak secondary if we give him time. If we knock him around I'd say we could compete in this game. I'm hoping Pettine has some new looks up his sleeve that he has saved for this game. Go Bills!

I certainly understand your points but I think Brady struggles with the blitz when more importantly it doesn't get picked up. Brady does not like to get hit, I think that's been proven time and again. That is what I believe is the key to stopping him Sunday.

Brady struggles with the blitz when he has no idea where its coming from...Pettine is a master of disguise...some of Brady's worst statistical games have come against the Jets defense

Brady struggles with the blitz when he has no idea where its coming from...Pettine is a master of disguise...some of Brady's worst statistical games have come against the Jets defense

And some of his best.

The Patriots have averaged 35 points a game against Pettine's defense in his last 6 games.

I think we'll go the Giants apporach, pressure hard without giving up coverage.

Great idea.

Tough to implement.

Unless you have the best CB in the game and one of the top 10.

+1

I just hope its not flag city if we get a couple shots on Brady just after he releases the ball.

This is just an unsubstantiated hunch on my part, but I have this feeling that the days of blatant Tom Brady favoritism are over. I have NOTHING to back this up. It's just a feeling I have. Guess we'll see in 4 days.

There's a difference between blitzing and pressure packages.

There's a difference between sending "only 4 men" as opposed to sending "only the front four."

Clearly Pettine will have to mix things up to keep Brady off balance a bit.

This is a pressure defense and they will be challenging Brady to make good decisions on each and every play.

It's a pick your poison kinda decision. Die the slow, agonizing death or get it over with quickly.

Brady will pick you apart and move the ball up and down the field all day long if given time to survey the field and pick his options. More often than not he finally gets his team into the endzone. This is the slow and agonizing routine.

On the quick side of things. Brady's perhaps the best ever at quickly diagnosing defenses, pre and post, snap so confusing him with exotic blitzes really is a stretch, especially so if in a defense that he is intimately familiar with and has had success against, like Pettine's for example. Most of the time, Brady wins this chess battle up at the LOS .... moreso now these days as he's gotten even more experienced and has seen pretty much everything that any DC can throw at him. One poorly implemented, or mis-timed blitz, and the safeties are chasing Pats jersey into the EZ..

I think it's futile to engage in a battle of the mind with Brady. He's simply too experienced and good at this to win enough times. So, you have to beat him physically. For starters take away the run so play action can;t impact things. If that is successful then, probably the best way to do this is to overpower his OL in order to get to him while jamming his receiver at the LOS so that they cannot be where Brady expects them to be. This is especially crucial if you can place Brady under duress in hops that you can cause an errant throw or two, or three that results in a pick.

The challenge however, is the Pats have an excellent, well coached and veteran OL which is generally up to the challenge of protecting Brady flawlessly. The Ginats NASCAR package has worked in the past as a way to get pressure on Brady but that NASCAR formation is very difficult for most teams to duplicate since so few have the requisite DL (stud pass rushing DE's in all 4 DL spots) to pull it off. And, even if it can be done, the current installment of the Pats rushing attack, is very likely good enough to pound it down the throats of those DE's, something they were unable to do to the Giants back in the day.

Edited by Pneumonic

There's a difference between blitzing and pressure packages.

There's a difference between sending "only 4 men" as opposed to sending "only the front four."

Clearly Pettine will have to mix things up to keep Brady off balance a bit.

This is a pressure defense and they will be challenging Brady to make good decisions on each and every play.

+1

I liked the one sack we got against Det where he sent half the folks on the line but I don't think that was considered a blitz.

I think that Brady's body of work has proven that if you blitz him, he will destroy you.

The blue print is out there. Let him get his completions. But keep the pressure with the front four, control the running game and most important, punish the receivers as they get the ball. That's worked for the Jets, Ravens & Giants against Brady.

I agree with this. Obviously you want Brady to not get too comfortable, but success lies with the ability to attack the weak links. Right now that's the fragile and inexperienced WR and TE corps. Make them think twice about a hit at every reception opportunity.