Patriots roster looks weak

billsfan_34

Don't underestimate their run game. I imagine they'll be able to really pound opponents into submission this year.

The Patriots always kill the Bills by running the football and stopping the run. I wish the day comes where we can do that to them and don't need to depend on the arm of the QB.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No what I mean is that it's too simplistic to blame the collapse on Wanny's vanilla defense. Even the worst defenses in the history of the league don't give up 45 points in a half, and 31 points in a quarter. That was a complete team melt down, that to me was much more of a psychological beating than a physical one.

It absolutely was a complete meltdown, I agree -- and it's easy to see why, if players are looking to the coaches to make adjustments and nothing is happening. As I've said on numerous occasions, Wannstedt stole money from the Bills last season. It's embarrassing, and perhaps the worst job of "coordinating" I've ever witnessed -- particularly when you assess a roster that was not devoid of talent.

I'm trying to parse this and wrap my head around it. Can someone help me? Send up the Cow signal, paging jboyst!

There are only a few NFL teams which have defenses that are so good they can overcome the new rules changes and be impactful game in, game out.

NFL defenses have been rendered pretty much toothless by the new rules. I think it's the biggest reason you had the three rookies RGIII, Luck, Russell Wilson look like all time greats in their first seasons.

Your QB has to really suck not to put up good stats in the NFL. Even Fitzpatrick's last three years here he averaged Jim Kelly's best seasons in total TD passes.

Edited by 1billsfan

The Patriots always kill the Bills by running the football and stopping the run. I wish the day comes where we can do that to them and don't need to depend on the arm of the QB.

The Pats almost always find our weakness es and exploit them. They are really just a painfully well coached football team.

With a hall of fame QB.

i loathe them.

I believe you to be mistaken. PFR lists them as 25th, 31st, and 25th in Yds given up last 3 years. 9th, 15th, and 8th in points.

Had the Pats D ranked in the top 10 they might have gone to more than 1 SB in the last 3 years and possibly, even won one.

Yards per Game is becoming a very useless stat, especially w the way the rules are now so heavily in favor of the O. IMO the PPG is key andd they been pretty good there.

Ok I used the search function and didnt see anyone talking about this so forgive me if i missed it. I went thru the Pats roster and they seem thin all over the place. Especially on the offensive side of the ball. Maybe im not in tune with all the college players or I am just missing something but besides Brady and a few leftovers they look very weak and beatable. Whats everyones thoughts?

Considering they've beaten the crap out of us for the last decade minus one game, something tells me maybe its their system that beating us, not necessarily the players.

Yards per Game is becoming a very useless stat, especially w the way the rules are now so heavily in favor of the O. IMO the PPG is key andd they been pretty good there.

A lot of stats are misleading. 300 yards passing being one of them for the obvious reasons. Lopsided defensive rankings is another. A high scoring team generally wins as does one that gives up few points. The modern era has also changed many benchmarks. There is one stat that doesn't lie though....

This, and the Pats might have their best RB duo in several years. If Buffalo can't stop the run, that'll kill the pass rush and that'll mean Brady will be able to throw on them at will.

Ok I used the search function and didnt see anyone talking about this so forgive me if i missed it. I went thru the Pats roster and they seem thin all over the place. Especially on the offensive side of the ball. Maybe im not in tune with all the college players or I am just missing something but besides Brady and a few leftovers they look very weak and beatable. Whats everyones thoughts?

They have Belichick and Brady, that's more than enough. But just in case they have the BEST offensive line in football. You didn't notice that when you went over their roster? Their running game is the best they have had since Brady has been there. They don't have to rely solely on his arm anymore. That young defense was still learning to play together last year. Watch how much better they are this year with another year's experience. :wallbash: I hate to post this prediction because it would be great if the Bills could pull off the big upset, but realistically speaking I see a score of Pats 45 Bills 13. :flirt: Edited by thefootballexpert

The thing is you said "besides Brady" as if he is just another player.

I've watched all the Pats games this preason, multiple times.

Offense

Tom Brady is Tom Brady. If we make mistakes he will capitalize. We've all seen what that looks like.

As of now, I am not convinced that they have the best O line in football. I'm not even sure it is top 5. They can be beaten. They can be thoroughly whipped by a creative and/or disruptive front 7. Perhaps the biggest distortion coming out of the Lions game is the fumbles = the reason they got blown out. Yeah, they didn't help, but, the Lions D, and O, lines dominated them. Every time you say fumbles? I will say Matt Stafford sucks, or it could've been 50+ Lions in the first half. Only one fumble had nothing to do with the lines. However, it was clear that the Lions phyiscal play, and, even their dumb late/taunting penalties, got to the Patriots. They can say "preseason" and "the Lions were playing in their SB" all they like. They were intimidated, and we've all seen what that looks like as well.

The one bright spot was Kenbrell Thompkins. I believe he made the roster with his game that day, and I wouldn't be surprised if we see him a whole lot on Sunday. We need to shut that guy down. If we do, we can win. Amendola simply doesn't scare me at all. The rest of the WRs are JAGs.

EDIT: The Rbs are JAGs. Ridley will only be as good as the O line. It's like the old Denver running game. They can run block very well. So, Ridley should be able to get some good runs. However, getting up on the Pats takes the run away, just like it does for everybody else. However again, the Pats may very well run it no matter what.

They can run it, and it's on us to stop it. Simple. The Lions stopped it cold, and that was before the Pats got down. Frankly, with our D line, there's no excuse why we can't do the same. No excuse whatsoever. IF we don't stop the run, then that is on our players lack of effort.

Aside: You know when they do that double TE and a WR "bunch" set? I want to see us have the LDE or OLB not rush and head straight for the WR and knock him on his ass inside 5 yards. That is where the ball is going 90% of the time. That would screw up the timing, and, we wouldn't have to live through yet another crossing rout for 15-25 yards, when we all know it's coming. The best they could do is throw to one of the TEs, who isn't expecting the ball. Bring the CB in to "rush", but really, just to cover the outside guy's area.

Defense

Here's where I hate to say this, but I will anyway: The Pats LBs are a problem. I've been saying this since they lost their LBs from the SB years. They've never had the same D since. None of their stop gap fixes have worked. But, they've won anyway...with their O. This makes me look "wrong". :rolleyes:

However, I'm not. Their LBs aren't good. They are average, at best. They are slow to read, react, and, they are just slow, period. Belechick protects them with scheme, and by only asking them to do 1 thing well. We can cause trouble by forcing them to do what they don't do well. I just hope we don't overthink it.

The elephant = Spikes is a liability in coverage, and if Chandler/EJ are on the same page? They will have to bring safety help, and that opens the door for the bomb(and helps Stevie, screens, etc.). This has always been true, since 2007, however, we haven't had a QB who can torch them with the bomb, consistently. So, the Pats, rightly, haven't cared. Spikes creates a huge problem, but, only if you can exploit it.

Mayo has played up and down recently. Example: Against the Eagles he got driven backwards by the RB :blink: But, on the next play, he corrected and stopped the run for no gain. The Lions game? He seemed to quit on some plays. And, it wasn't just him. Against the Bucs, he looked OK, but he got burned a few times, and the O line got on him easily. Not sure if that's all his fault, as the D line didn't help him.

Hightower has a chance to play like the old SB LBs did. I really like this guy. However, he is only one guy. I'm not sure that the quitting and the liabilities can be overcome by one guy.

Their D line is really good against the run, as it has been. It will be interesting to see what our O line can do, and what Spiller can do.

Finally? The even bigger elephant? The Pats haven't had this much trouble rushing the passer since before Parcells was there. If preseason is any indication at all? The Pats are in big trouble in this area. If it isn't, then once again, Bill Belechik coaching is amazing. It would be truly impressive if this gets fixed.

However, I don't know how you fix this, other than by bringing more people. But, even the lowly Eagles were able to pick up the blitzers. I don't know how you get a guy to be more talented/faster/stronger/quicker/whatever going from the preseason to the regular.

Couple all of this with a so/so secondary? And, I say that only because we haven't seen this group play together much. They could be decent. They could be bad.

Perhaps this is the year that the bad drafting, bad FAs, and trading down, finally catches up with them.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Offense

Tom Brady is Tom Brady. If we make mistakes he will capitalize. We've all seen what that looks like.

As of now, I am not convinced that they have the best O line in football. I'm not even sure it is top 5. They can be beaten. They can be thoroughly whipped by a creative and/or disruptive front 7. Perhaps the biggest distortion coming out of the Lions game is the fumbles = the reason they got blown out. Yeah, they didn't help, but, the Lions D, and O, lines dominated them. Every time you say fumbles? I will say Matt Stafford sucks, or it could've been 50+ Lions in the first half. Only one fumble had nothing to do with the lines. However, it was clear that the Lions phyiscal play, and, even their dumb late/taunting penalties, got to the Patriots. They can say "preseason" and "the Lions were playing in their SB" all they like. They were intimidated, and we've all seen what that looks like as well.

The one bright spot was Kenbrell Thompkins. I believe he made the roster with his game that day, and I wouldn't be surprised if we see him a whole lot on Sunday. We need to shut that guy down. If we do, we can win. Amendola simply doesn't scare me at all. The rest of the WRs are JAGs.

Aside: You know when they do that double TE and a WR "bunch" set? I want to see us have the LDE or OLB not rush and head straight for the WR and knock him on his ass inside 5 yards. That is where the ball is going 90% of the time. That would screw up the timing, and, we wouldn't have to live through yet another crossing rout for 15-25 yards, when we all know it's coming. The best they could do is throw to one of the TEs, who isn't expecting the ball. Bring the CB in to "rush", but really, just to cover the outside guy's area.

Defense

Here's where I hate to say this, but I will anyway: The Pats LBs are a problem. I've been saying this since they lost their LBs from the SB years. They've never had the same D since. None of their stop gap fixes have worked. But, they've won anyway...with their O. This makes me look "wrong". :rolleyes:

However, I'm not. Their LBs aren't good. They are average, at best. They are slow to read, react, and, they are just slow, period. Belechick protects them with scheme, and by only asking them to do 1 thing well. We can cause trouble by forcing them to do what they don't do well. I just hope we don't overthink it.

The elephant = Spikes is a liability in coverage, and if Chandler/EJ are on the same page? They will have to bring safety help, and that opens the door for the bomb(and helps Stevie, screens, etc.). This has always been true, since 2007, however, we haven't had a QB who can torch them with the bomb, consistently. So, the Pats, rightly, haven't cared. Spikes creates a huge problem, but, only if you can exploit it.

Mayo has played up and down recently. Example: Against the Eagles he got driven backwards by the RB :blink: But, on the next play, he corrected and stopped the run for no gain. The Lions game? He seemed to quit on some plays. And, it wasn't just him. Against the Bucs, he looked OK, but he got burned a few times, and the O line got on him easily. Not sure if that's all his fault, as the D line didn't help him.

Hightower has a chance to play like the old SB LBs did. I really like this guy. However, he is only one guy. I'm not sure that the quitting and the liabilities can be overcome by one guy.

Their D line is really good against the run, as it has been. It will be interesting to see what our O line can do, and what Spiller can do.

Finally? The even bigger elephant? The Pats haven't had this much trouble rushing the passer since before Parcells was there. If preseason is any indication at all? The Pats are in big trouble in this area. If it isn't, then once again, Bill Belechik coaching is amazing. It would be truly impressive if this gets fixed.

However, I don't know how you fix this, other than by bringing more people. But, even the lowly Eagles were able to pick up the blitzers. I don't know how you get a guy to be more talented/faster/stronger/quicker/whatever going from the preseason to the regular.

Couple all of this with a so/so secondary? And, I say that only because we haven't seen this group play together much. They could be decent. They could be bad.

Perhaps this is the year that the bad drafting, bad FAs, and trading down, finally catches up with them.

As for the O-line against the Lions, they weren't doing any adjustments, they were not seeing the match up and changing the play, they just ran the play as is. I believe this was not an accident, it would have been different with a regular season game on the line. As for Mayo havn't watched much of him in the preseaon but the last few years he's been one of the few bright spots on the Pats defense and considered one of the best in the league and I expect a solid season out of him.

And pre season is a load of crock 90% of the time

As for the O-line against the Lions, they weren't doing any adjustments, they were not seeing the match up and changing the play, they just ran the play as is. I believe this was not an accident, it would have been different with a regular season game on the line. As for Mayo havn't watched much of him in the preseaon but the last few years he's been one of the few bright spots on the Pats defense and considered one of the best in the league and I expect a solid season out of him.

And pre season is a load of crock 90% of the time

I think you're wrong. Brady was not comfortable so his play reflected that. Don't look at the yards stat, he didn't play well. Brady played well the previous 2 games. They were calling him a doctor, a surgeon. But vs a stout d, he sucked. Brady is a biach under pressure. He will never change. Don't give me the oline didn't make adjustments. Wt heck??? That is 100% bs. The pats don't play like that. They are trained to win all the time.

Offense

EDIT: The Rbs are JAGs. Ridley will only be as good as the O line. It's like the old Denver running game. They can run block very well. So, Ridley should be able to get some good runs. However, getting up on the Pats takes the run away, just like it does for everybody else. However again, the Pats may very well run it no matter what.

They can run it, and it's on us to stop it. Simple. The Lions stopped it cold, and that was before the Pats got down. Frankly, with our D line, there's no excuse why we can't do the same. No excuse whatsoever. IF we don't stop the run, then that is on our players lack of effort.

Defense

You are evaluating veteran talent on the basis of preseason game performance? That's insane.

I've said this before about the pats and the go and set records for points in a season. Until 12 is retired I assume they will be a Super Bowl contender

And with our luck, Mallet will be the next Aaron Rodgers

Also, does anyone else think BB will retire when Brady does?

CBF

Edited by Canadian Bills Fan