Why IR Kolb?

br1ju

Not understanding why they didn't just cut him? What was the purpose of keeping him until next year? If EJ/Tuel is going to play all this year no sense keeping Kolb around for next year? If Kolb plays next year that would just be going backwards. I know they can't designate a player to return until later this week but is it possible that they do keep him to activate him later and use him as trade bait maybe for a desperate playoff team in need of a backup? Trying to find a rational explanation for this.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not understanding why they didn't just cut him? What was the purpose of keeping him until next year? If EJ/Tuel is going to play all this year no sense keeping Kolb around for next year? If Kolb plays next year that would just be going backwards. I know they can't designate a player to return until later this week but is it possible that they do keep him to activate him later and use him as trade bait maybe for a desperate playoff team in need of a backup? Trying to find a rational explanation for this.

You cannot cut an injured player.

Kolb has sustained multiple concussions. It was going to be difficult to predict how long before he'd be able to return to action. It's possible that he may not have made it back for the season. Kolb is done for the season at best and may be done for his career.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I doubt they get an injury settlement unless Kolb is available to play in a few weeks. No team will want to sign him very far into the season, especially given his concussion history. The Bills will foot his salary for the entire year. Count me in as one who doubts any time will want to sign him again.

I doubt they get an injury settlement unless Kolb is available to play in a few weeks. No team will want to sign him very far into the season, especially given his concussion history. The Bills will foot his salary for the entire year. Count me in as one who doubts any time will want to sign him again.

The bills would just be buying out his contract, he'd be a free agent. Doesn't matter if someone signs him, no?

The bills would just be buying out his contract, he'd be a free agent. Doesn't matter if someone signs him, no?

A settlement usually means the Bills pay him less than his contract terms. Kolb wouldn't do that unless he already had an offer from another team and he was ready to play. I just don't see him taking a pay cut this year with his career in jeopardy.

A settlement usually means the Bills pay him less than his contract terms. Kolb wouldn't do that unless he already had an offer from another team and he was ready to play. I just don't see him taking a pay cut this year with his career in jeopardy.

He can't talk to other teams til the settlement. While I am not among those chalking it up as a gimme, if the guys cleared to play in two weeks and wants a career he might want to go start looking at options instead of sitting on our bench. A chance to prove he's healthy before the offseason. If I had to guess, he stays on ir but its not more than a guess really.

Heck, if we know we aren't bringing him back next year you can pay in full for this year and just get on with it

The NFL player's agreement prohibits cutting an injured player. Once the player is medically examined and cleared of the injury, the team can reach an "injury settlement" with the player, which the Bills may well do if Kolb is reasonable.

• 1 month later...

In light of EJ's injury I thought about bringing up this old post in trying to figure out whether Kolb was put on season ending IR or if he is able to return in a few weeks based on the new IR rules. Perhaps not a significant thing but was just curious.