CJ Spiller Feature in the Buffalo News

uncle flap

Spiller has some lofty goals. Dedicated kid who has overcome adversity. If you don't know his back story, this is a very interesting read: http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/nfl-preview/spiller-busts-out-cj-spiller-once-given-the-label-of-draft-disappointment-has-come-of-age-in-a-hurry-bringing-hope-to-the-bills-faithful-20130901

“His standard is to be the best, and that’s the way he’s always been. That’s how he’s wired. But it’s his ability to pay the price. It’s how he lives his life off the field.” [ -Clemson Coach, Dabo Swinney]

Spiller is only interested in being elite. He wants to break Simpson’s club record and become the eighth player in NFL history to rush for 2,000 yards.

He wants to win a Super Bowl for a franchise that’s been mostly irrelevant for four presidential terms.

The so-called 2010 draft bust works with the mental image of seeing his bust in Canton someday.

He doesn’t care whether or not people write off his wish list as foolhardy.

“There are a lot of great people,” Spiller said, “but there are only a few special people. To be able to get into that category and be a special individual – not with just what you do on the field, stuff off the field – that’s the category you really want to be a part of. That’s my mind-set.

“I know that takes a lot of hard work. That takes a lot of team effort. I’m willing to sacrifice a whole bunch to get into that category. I’m a long way from there, but I’m definitely working towards it.

Two preseason games into his sophomore season, a message-board thread on the Bills’ website asked, “Is it safe to say Spiller’s a bust?”

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/138476-is-spiller-any-less-of-a-bust-than-maybin/page__hl__%2Bspiller+%2Bbust

I couldn't find the exact thread, but remember it. Here is one similar, good for a laugh

Do yourself a favor and read it. Terrific article. It's impossible not to root for this guy.

I am rooting for him just like any Bills fan.....but I am laughing about the HOF and 2,000+ yard aspirations.

It took him 3 years to get his FIRST 2,000 yards and he's 26 already.

And no, it wasn't all Gailey's fault.

Spiller was very slow on the uptake wrt learning the offense.......at Clemson they used flash cards on the sideline to send in plays and CJ had a hard time having the play called by the QB in the huddle. That was an......interesting.....impediment. :flirt:

And it also took about 2 full seasons to learn that he couldn't bounce every run to the outside in the NFL.

That is what kept him on ice for most of his first two seasons.

The next obstacle is holding up to an 18-25 carry per game workload. I hope I am wrong, but I just don't see it happening.

And I am not against using him that way, he is a running back not a quarterback......use those carries up while they are under contract. :wallbash::thumbsup:

I am rooting for him just like any Bills fan.....but I am laughing about the HOF and 2,000+ yard aspirations.

Spiller was very slow on the uptake wrt learning the offense.......at Clemson they used flash cards on the sideline to send in plays and CJ had a hard time having the play called by the QB in the huddle. That was an......interesting.....impediment. :flirt:

And it also took about 2 full seasons to learn that he couldn't bounce every run to the outside in the NFL.

The next obstacle is holding up to an 18-25 carry per game workload. I hope I am wrong, but I just don't see it happening.

And I am not against using him that way, he is a running back not a quarterback......use those carries up while they are under contract. :wallbash::thumbsup:

You're that guy that nobody wants to sit next to at Bills games, right?

The self-proclaimed loudmouth know-it-all who doesn't know nearly as much as he thinks he does....

Edited by bills44

Why laugh at it? God forbid he wants to be great. It's not like he's Coy Wire saying he wants to be the next Jack Hamm, and no offense to Coy.

You conveniently left out he sat behind two vets early on, and the flash card thing is so arbitrary I could care less. Let's focus on his talent and skill and remember for a second we have one of the most explosive and dynamic players (not only at his position) in the entire NFL.

1. OJ Simpson had 1900 yards rushing in his first 3 seasons and, yes, he did rush for 2000 yards and made the Hall of Fame (of course he also started murdering people - so, there's that.). Not making comparisons - just commenting on your stated reasons for laughing at the idea. Last year, he reached 1200 yards on 207 carries. "In the history of the NFL, no player has reached 1,200 yards on fewer rushing attempts." (ESPN)

2. As far as bouncing runs outside - Spiller has done "most of his damage between the tackles" and is the "only qualified running back in the past five seasons to average more than 6.0 yards per rush between the tackles." (ESPN)

3. Regarding his size and toughness - "Despite a listed weight of 200 pounds, Spiller was one of seven running backs to average 2.0 yards after contact on those runs last season. The other six running backs had an average weight of 223.5 pounds." (ESPN) Also, running backs of similar size that seemed to hold up just fine: Thurman Thomas, Barry Sanders, Marshall Faulk, Emmitt Smith....(again, not comparing - just commenting on your reasoning)

But you are probably right - laughable :doh:

Edited by billsfan1959

You're that guy that nobody wants to sit next to at Bills games, right?

The self-proclaimed loudmouth know-it-all who doesn't know nearly as much as he thinks he does....

Let me throw the word Idiot out there to support your claim. You seem to have forgotten it.....no problem. ANY so-called fan of this team that says negative things like that about CJ is a dope.

He is the face of our franchise. He puts us on the NFL map. He has more class than entire teams. He is the real deal and I am damn proud to be routing for a kid like that. On my own team no less.

This forum is really loaded with delusional fans that enjoy bitching about what isnt right....AND even bitching about what IS right...Like CJ Spiller.

1. OJ Simpson had 1900 yards rushing in his first 3 seasons and, yes, he did rush for 2000 yards and made the Hall of Fame (of course he also started murdering people - so, there's that.). Not making comparisons - just commenting on your stated reasons for laughing at the idea. Last year, he reached 1200 yards on 207 carries. "In the history of the NFL, no player has reached 1,200 yards on fewer rushing attempts." (ESPN)

2. As far as bouncing runs outside - Spiller has done "most of his damage between the tackles" and is the "only qualified running back in the past five seasons to average more than 6.0 yards per rush between the tackles." (ESPN)

3. Regarding his size and toughness - "Despite a listed weight of 200 pounds, Spiller was one of seven running backs to average 2.0 yards after contact on those runs last season. The other six running backs had an average weight of 223.5 pounds." (ESPN) Also, running backs of similar size that seemed to hold up just fine: Thurman Thomas, Barry Sanders, Marshall Faulk, Emmitt Smith....(again, not comparing - just commenting on your reasoning)

But you are probably right - laughable :doh:

First, the HOF:

CJ has 1,000 fewer yards than OJ at the same age......and the 11,000 yards that got OJ in will no longer get it done. Probably going to take 14,000 minimum, maybe 15,000. That is a LONG way from 2,000 career yards total.

So yeah, that is why it is funny.

As for the 2,000 yards......if Jamal Lewis can do it then you don't need to be a HOF'er to do it. What you need to be is a guy who can carry the ball at LEAST 340 times in a season. That is 50% more than his highest total in his 7 years at Clemson/Buffalo and DOUBLE his average carries per season over that period of time.

So while there is no telling for sure whether he can do it for not.......that seven year sample size by no means indicates that he can. It also bears noting that he averaged a pretty steady 5.5 ypc his last 3 seasons at Clemson on a sample size of 500+ carries so there is always that chance that MAYBE he isn't going to average 6.0 ypc again.

Not saying CJ is going to get 2000 yards, but, um, you may want to check on OJ's stats his first three seasons ...

EDIT: I see you brought up the age factor (i.e., OJ was 25 after 3 seasons; Spiller 26). Not remotely convincing. I mean, not remotely. Between community college, SC, and track, OJ had way more miles on his treads than Spiller ever did. Give this one up.

Edited by dave mcbride

Not saying CJ is going to get 2000 yards, but, um, you may want to check on OJ's stats his first three seasons ...

EDIT: I see you brought up the age factor (i.e., OJ was 25 after 3 seasons; Spiller 26). Not remotely convincing. I mean, not remotely. Between community college, SC, and track, OJ had way more miles on his treads than Spiller ever did. Give this one up.

Yeah, but OJ had proven he could carry the load.

He had 674 carries in two years at USC.

In 7 seasons, CJ only has 2 seasons with over 200 carries.

I beg your forgiveness for my doubts. :worthy:

When CJ produces twice as many carries as he has AVERAGED in a season over his career....... I will defer to the clairvoyance of TBD.

Yeah, but OJ had proven he could carry the load.

He had 674 carries in two years at USC.

In 7 seasons, CJ only has 2 seasons with over 200 carries.

I beg your forgiveness for my doubts. :worthy:

When CJ produces twice as many carries as he has AVERAGED in a season over his career....... I will defer to the clairvoyance of TBD.

I never said he was going to get 2000 yards. I just think the OJ comparison doesn't work. As for OJ, let's not forget this:

From 1965 to 1966, Simpson was a student at City College of San Francisco, a member of the California Community College system. He played both offense (running back) and defense (defensive back) and was named to the Junior College All-American team as a running back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O._J._Simpson

Edited by dave mcbride

I never said he was going to get 2000 yards. I just think the OJ comparison doesn't work. As for OJ, let's not forget this:

From 1965 to 1966, Simpson was a student at City College of San Francisco, a member of the California Community College system. He played both offense (running back) and defense (defensive back) and was named to the Junior College All-American team as a running back.

http://en.wikipedia....i/O._J._Simpson

If you are going to be contrary.....please, at least have a point to it.

Yes, OJ was a man amongst boys. A 212 pound RB in 1973 is the physical equivalent of a 240 pound back today.

I didn't start the OJ comparisons in this thread, I just finished them.

The thing I see with CJ that makes it hard for me to envision him taking on a 350 carry workload is that he takes some violent hits.

He is elusive in the open field but he absorbs a great deal of impact for a smaller/elusive type RB.

We saw this a week ago in Washington, we saw it in Cleveland last year, he hobbled off the field a number of times his first couple seasons and truthfully I have been seeing it all the way back to his Clemson days.

Which I think is the root of why his coaches have not given him a bigger workload. If he is injured and loses ANY of his speed, what good is he to your running game? He is more valuable with a spread field on a passing down than he is running up the middle behind a FB IMO......but there is the matter of justifying his salary/draft position and that almost dictates that he become a workhorse and let the chips fall where they may.

I think he is a tough guy but the hits are going to take a toll on him in a way that a bigger back they probably would not.......or in a way that a gliding runner who doesn't absorb hits so violently.....see CJ2K...would not.

If you are going to be contrary.....please, at least have a point to it.

Yes, OJ was a man amongst boys. A 212 pound RB in 1973 is the physical equivalent of a 240 pound back today.

I didn't start the OJ comparisons in this thread, I just finished them.

The thing I see with CJ that makes it hard for me to envision him taking on a 350 carry workload is that he takes some violent hits.

He is elusive in the open field but he absorbs a great deal of impact for a smaller/elusive type RB.

We saw this a week ago in Washington, we saw it in Cleveland last year, he hobbled off the field a number of times his first couple seasons and truthfully I have been seeing it all the way back to his Clemson days.

Which I think is the root of why his coaches have not given him a bigger workload. If he is injured and loses ANY of his speed, what good is he to your running game? He is more valuable with a spread field on a passing down than he is running up the middle behind a FB IMO......but there is the matter of justifying his salary/draft position and that almost dictates that he become a workhorse and let the chips fall where they may.

I think he is a tough guy but the hits are going to take a toll on him in a way that a bigger back they probably would not.......or in a way that a gliding runner who doesn't absorb hits so violently.....see CJ2K...would not.

In your original post, you stated that you found it "laughable" that Spiller could get 2000 yds and immediately followed it up with the fact that it took him 3 years to gain 2000 yards. The OJ comparison was made simply to point out that what CJ Spiller has rushed for to this point in his career has zero correlation to whether or not he could rush for 2000 yards in a season. That was the end of the comparison... You have then gone on about how you do not believe he can carry a full workload because of his size and the violent hits. However, (1) there is a long list of running backs with similar size to Spiller that were more than capable of carrying a full work load, and (2) I'm not sure Spiller has taken any more violent hits than any other running back (By the way, it wasn't a violent hit in Cleveland, it was the way he landed with the defender on top of him). Every running back has moments where they "hobble" off the field. I really haven't noticed Spiller doing it any more often than any other player.

In the end, you assume the reason he hasn't been given more of a workload is his lack of durability. You are certainly entitled to your opinion that he will never be able to carry a full workload. However, realize that it is only that - an opinion. I am only pointing out that you really have offered no compelling arguments as to why you believe what you believe.

Edited by billsfan1959