Stevie Johnson giving back to the community.

I'm torn.

I define good character as doing the right thing, even when no one is looking.

If one does a good deed, that is a beautiful thing.

If one mentions the planned good deed,

Then does the good deed,

Then poses for pictures following the good deed (knowing it would get press)

That just seems less-beautiful to me. Still a good deed ... but seemingly with more of a purpose than to do something nice for someone.

+1

I think a lot of celebrities do good work anonymously. This smells a little of self-promotion. As you say "still a good deed, but..."

I'm torn.

I define good character as doing the right thing, even when no one is looking.

If one does a good deed, that is a beautiful thing.

If one mentions the planned good deed,

Then does the good deed,

Then poses for pictures following the good deed (knowing it would get press)

That just seems less-beautiful to me. Still a good deed ... but seemingly with more of a purpose than to do something nice for someone.

While part of me kinda agrees, one could also argue that a celebrity doing a good deed in the light will encourage others to do the same. Also, if a kid sees SJ13 doing this, it sets the notion of community as a value.

This particular act of kindness sort of cements the idea that Stevie is part of the Buffalo community. This is one of the things that makes Buffalo a special NFL market...the fact that you might go out about the city and interact with the players. I had dozens of encounters with Bills in my 7 years in the city...in my last 15 years in NYC, the closest I had to even seeing a Jet or a Giant was when I saw either Tiki or Ronde Barber coming from that credit card commercial they did a few years back.

I like the publicity as hopefully it inspires others to do what he does. I enjoy going through dunkin donuts once a week and paying for the person behind me. Hopefully it gives them a nice smile and start to their day and then they pass it along.

While part of me kinda agrees, one could also argue that a celebrity doing a good deed in the light will encourage others to do the same. Also, if a kid sees SJ13 doing this, it sets the notion of community as a value.

This particular act of kindness sort of cements the idea that Stevie is part of the Buffalo community. This is one of the things that makes Buffalo a special NFL market...the fact that you might go out about the city and interact with the players. I had dozens of encounters with Bills in my 7 years in the city...in my last 15 years in NYC, the closest I had to even seeing a Jet or a Giant was when I saw either Tiki or Ronde Barber coming from that credit card commercial they did a few years back.

This is a good way to look at it. Whether or not Stevie's intent was to inspire others to do the same, if that's an actual effect from it, then great.

I think this is great, I really do and I like Stevie a lot.

I hate feeling like this - but I think putting it on Twitter beforehand, then posing for pics afterward, takes away from its sincerity.

Yeah, but as a public figure, him doing that could inspire others to do the same.

Whether he tweeted it beforehand or not it would have ended up on the the news. He did a good thing so I don't see a problem.

i dont think it being news was what gugny was discussing, but that it was stevie that brought it to the public forum.

http://sports.yahoo....ocid.yahoo.html

pretty cool. Too bad more players don't make it a habit of doing this kind of random stuff.

Probably because most players' charity is more organized (Kelly for Kids, for example). Probably more effective, but less personal as well, so you don't hear as much about it.

Which is not a criticism of Johnson by any means (I don't doubt he gives to charities as well). Absolutely nothing wrong with random acts of kindness (although the best random act of Wal-Mart kindness would probably be driving the shopper to Target.)

+1

I think a lot of celebrities do good work anonymously. This smells a little of self-promotion. As you say "still a good deed, but..."

Every good deed has behind it some sort of ego trip. Even when someone does something because "it's the right thing to do," is usually comes with the sense of self-satisfaction (frequently smug, sometimes not) that the doer did the right thing.

Which is fine, frankly. I may sound cynical about it, but to be honest I couldn't care less how someone feels about their random acts of kindness. The acts still count.

Here we have a guy from NorCal who chose to re sign here, who wanted to be here all along, and who tells the world how much he loves the Bills and by extension WNY.

Juxtaposed against that backdrop, here we are finding fault with the guy. Why?

Maybe he wasn't planning on posing for pics at all, until the recipient of the good deed was notified of who it was. If it were me in line and I came to learn that it was SJ I would have asked for pics also.

Also a possibility of him tweeting what his intentions were was a message to all of his 625,000 followers that when you're in a position to be able to do something so generous like that for somebody to go ahead and do it. it appears to me that Stevie doesn't need the publicity. IMO, it was nothing more than him doing something nice for somebody else.

The truth is we don't know what his motivation was and I myself am going to take it at face value.

Good for you Stevie, maybe more people will do the same.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced he's just an egotistical ass and doesn't have a genuine bone in his body. The sooner he parts ways with the Bills, the better. Seriously.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced he's just an egotistical ass and doesn't have a genuine bone in his body. The sooner he parts ways with the Bills, the better. Seriously.

LOL. Wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?