Stevie Johnson giving back to the community.

I think this is great, I really do and I like Stevie a lot.

I hate feeling like this - but I think putting it on Twitter beforehand, then posing for pics afterward, takes away from its sincerity.

I hate feeling like this - but I think putting it on Twitter beforehand, then posing for pics afterward, takes away from its sincerity.

Don't feel that way. A good deed is a good deed, and the people he helped had no idea it was coming.

Don't feel that way. A good deed is a good deed, and the people he helped had no idea it was coming.

I'm torn.

I define good character as doing the right thing, even when no one is looking.

If one does a good deed, that is a beautiful thing.

If one mentions the planned good deed,

Then does the good deed,

Then poses for pictures following the good deed (knowing it would get press)

That just seems less-beautiful to me. Still a good deed ... but seemingly with more of a purpose than to do something nice for someone.

I'm torn.

I define good character as doing the right thing, even when no one is looking.

If one does a good deed, that is a beautiful thing.

If one mentions the planned good deed,

Then does the good deed,

Then poses for pictures following the good deed (knowing it would get press)

That just seems less-beautiful to me. Still a good deed ... but seemingly with more of a purpose than to do something nice for someone.

I think you're defining integrity, not character.

Anyway, there aren't enough good deeds done in this world, period -- regardless of any ancillary intent.

They didn't know who he was though, so it's not like they searched for him and made sure they were behind him in line.

Anyway, there aren't enough good deeds done in this world, period -- regardless of any ancillary intent.

I can definitely agree with that, eball.

They didn't know who he was though, so it's not like they searched for him and made sure they were behind him in line.

No, Stevie put it on Twitter prior to doing it. Then Stevie posed for pics after doing it.

No, Stevie put it on Twitter prior to doing it. Then Stevie posed for pics after doing it.

Just because Stevie puts it on Twitter doesn't mean everyone sees it, or even know what he looks like out of uniform.

From the article....

"While they were at Walmart in Hamburg, they got behind Stevie Johnson of the Buffalo Bills and did not know who he was. He told them someone blessed him and now wanted to bless them. He paid for all of their groceries worth over $100! The cashier finally told them who he was and they were completely ecstatic!!"

Just because Stevie puts it on Twitter doesn't mean everyone sees it, or even know what he looks like out of uniform.

From the article....

"While they were at Walmart in Hamburg, they got behind Stevie Johnson of the Buffalo Bills and did not know who he was. He told them someone blessed him and now wanted to bless them. He paid for all of their groceries worth over $100! The cashier finally told them who he was and they were completely ecstatic!!"

i believe his point was that he didnt selflessly do it if he was buying himself more than $100 worth of good PR.

i get that point, but generally speaking id rather see more good things than less.

i believe his point was that he didnt selflessly do it if he was buying himself more than $100 worth of good PR.

i get that point, but generally speaking id rather see more good things than less.

Does Stevie have a PR problem I'm unaware of? It seems most everyone thinks he's a great guy; maybe sometimes a bit immature on the field, but a great guy.

Whether it's selfless or not, at the end of the day a family got some free groceries. As PR stunts go this is a pretty beneficial one, and honestly, maybe it's the kind of thing we should encourage by taking at face value.

Does Stevie have a PR problem I'm unaware of? It seems most everyone thinks he's a great guy; maybe sometimes a bit immature on the field, but a great guy.

It doesn't hurt a guy with a perceived issue with maturity to show that he gets there are things bigger than him.

But I was just trying to bridge the gap between the two folks discussing it that seemed to be saying one thing and reading something else.

Like I said, even if it doesn't much change my opinion of him either way, I'm glad to hear about stuff like this.

well put .

If his fun is giving gifts and surprising folks with something like this, thats is fine by me.

Goofy kid but good heart i think .

Stevie Johnson giving back to Stevie Johnson!? :rolleyes:

dude

Thats kinda deep :flirt:

nope because there is no such thing.

do good **** all day thats my goal.

not going as well as hoped but i have seen improvement over these years so that keeps me smilin'

Edited by 3rdand12

I agree with you. Doing something charitable is a great thing, but then turning right around and putting the pics online so everyone knows you did something are kinda "Oprah Like" or desperate for attention. But with Stevie, and I like him too for the most part, he really needs to stay away from the internet, with his saggy pants pics and his disrespect for the military with his "USS FUC*MORE" shirt on. Stevie is a good receiver, nothing more until he devotes more time to working out, catching the ball and hanging on to it after he does catch it. Maybe if the did that he wouldn't be hurt or have nagging injuries all the time too. Edited by BuffBill

I'd just like to clarify my position on this topic, then leave it alone, entirely.

I will preface by saying any charitable gesture is a good gesture in my book. Including this one. Stevie Johnson made someone's day and helped someone out ... that is a beautiful thing and I love his "pay it forward" attitude.

What takes away from this gesture's beauty - but does not completely nullify said beauty - to me, is that prior to doing it, he announced that he would be doing it. I'm not saying that the recipient (the woman who happened to be standing behind him) knew it was coming. That is irrelevant.

What I'm saying is that he said to his 626,000 followers - "Hey, look at me ... I'm about to do something charitable."

This story would have been much sweeter if he had not announced it on Twitter, bought this woman's stuff, and walked away. The cashier knew who he was. She, or the recipient, could have posted it on FB or called the news and shared the story. And it would have been a lot more impressive to me.

Again - I think Stevie is a great kid. I think he has a great heart. I think he is immature and loves attention - and I have no problem with either of those things. He's still a good person.

This isn't about Stevie Johnson.

It's about "people" in general.

The world will be a better place when people make other people happy simply because it makes them feel good and it's the right thing to do. Instead of doing it to make themselves look better.

Go Bills and Go Stevie!