Nice attacking Defense.

tedstrong

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if Byrd was playing and Pettine drew up an actual regular season game plan and the players showed up to play (not going through the motions) like it was the playoffs, I think they would've got smoked badly with RG3 in as QB.

Skins look tough, big physical. They are going to be tough.

I think this game showed teams with big bruiser backs and lines can run on this d line. And as everyone here knows once you have the run going, any NFL caliber QB is going to have a field day.

I'm normally one of the Kool-Aid drinkers, but I have to be honest with myself. I can't exult at the Pats* getting tossed around like a bunch of McDonald Value Meal toys in the ever-important Third Preseason Game, but then simply shrug my shoulders and say "It's Just Preseason" when it's MY teams' turn to be tossed off a bridge like a bag full of kittens. The Third Preseason Game DOES mean something, and we all know it. It's the Ones-Against-The-Ones, at least for the first half, and teams are trying to see what they've been able to put together after almost a month of camp and practice. I felt GREAT about Marcia being punched in the face. I don't feel so great about what I saw yesterday.

Two major stories to follow:

The first will be how the coaching staff responds to this performance. If the past is any indication, Marrone is going to be up his coaching staff's collective rectae with a blowtorch, if he hasn't already done so on the flight home. Said coaches will probably share the treatment with their collective units by today.

The second is going to be the QB issue. Was the team being too cute by half in tucking Manuel away with a "minor procedure"? Don't know. Fate, and the Redskins, may have upset that ploy. But I'm not feeling too good about Matt Leinart taking us up against Tommy Boy in Week 1.

Promo the Robot asked the question a week or two ago; "How will this defense perform when someone schemes against it?" Shanahan clearly schemed for this game. He saw what happened in the Minnesota game and was not going to be embarrassed at home. He's taken too much heat for the RG3 thing already.

I did see blitzes. I saw pressure from the defensive right get picked up, and balls thrown over the top. Corners were playing off coverage. That made no sense.

The top two QBs on the depth chart are hurt. CJs hurt. CJs step grandfather went on a shooting spree. The top CB is hurt. A few potential backups got hurt.

When an up tempo offense goes three and out consistently its going to tire out their own defense.

I'm more concerned about what QB they are going to bring in and whether or not EJ will be ready to take the reigns week 1. IMO, EJ just won the starting job without even dressing for the game.

Edited by Kevin

Actually, on the big runs it was too much attacking. People like Bradham, Hughes and Bryant have to keep the edge safe. They were overpursuing and taking themselves out of the play. Bradham looked horrific. Anyone want to keep arguing trying to enjoy a marijuana habit has no impact on the football field?

But the guys slamming them down the night before played just fine? Just say no to dumb statements!

The top two QBs on the depth chart are hurt. CJs hurt. CJs step grandfather went on a shooting spree. The top CB is hurt. A few potential backups got hurt.

When an up tempo offense goes three and out consistently its going to tire out their own defense.

I'm more concerned about what QB they are going to bring in and whether or not EJ will be ready to take the reigns week 1. IMO, EJ just won the starting job without even dressing for the game.

I've heard this a ton (mostly from Theismann during the NFLN broadcast - shut up dude) and while it's true, it's true for any offense. If you get 0 first downs in a half, your D is gonna get worn down...

I've heard this a ton (mostly from Theismann during the NFLN broadcast - shut up dude) and while it's true, it's true for any offense. If you get 0 first downs in a half, your D is gonna get worn down...

Yup - what are we talking, an extra 30-40 seconds rest per possession even if we run the clock but get no first downs?

I'm not going to pretend like I know if the blitz packages were more or less exotic today. I didn't see a ton of difference.

Having 4 down line man and 3 lbs with little to no blitzes called was a huge difference. We opened the game playing a very similar D to last years. Corners playing 12 yards off the receivers on goal to go from the 6. it was very different. Idk what you were watching but it was obvious and you didn't need a microscope to see it

Edited by kr632

Yup - what are we talking, an extra 30-40 seconds rest per possession even if we run the clock but get no first downs?

If they are snapping the ball with 20+seconds left on the play clock then yes it adds up. How many three and outs did the Bills have?

Time of possession stats. Buffalo 21:08 Washington 38:52.

The problem was that they WERE blitzing. They blitzed multiple times. They just couldn't get any penetration.

And you saw what happened when you blitz and don't get to the QB. You get burned.

A lot of talk in the game day thread was about the CB's getting burned, but it's difficult for any CB to cover when you have 6 guys rushing the QB.

I disagree, there were a couple of passes that Grossman threw that were terrible as a result of the pressure. Unfortunately Brooks dropped one and Gilmore dropped the other. There were also a couple of pop-fly hail mary's that Grossman threw up that should have been intercepted or at least knocked down. Byrd can't get back soon enough because Searcy is terrible in coverage.

If they are snapping the ball with 20+seconds left on the play clock then yes it adds up. How many three and outs did the Bills have?

Time of possession stats. Buffalo 21:08 Washington 38:52.

Plays run is bigger than time of possession. It would've been 1 minute per drive if taken to the absolute extreme on every play, and that's not 1 minute in time of possession, but 1 minute in real time on your watch. It's nice but those legs will not be fresh unless we get first downs regardless of how quick we snap the ball

Morning folks,

I agree with some posters who feel that the Pettine didnt go to exotic yesterday. I thought he was the most conservative this preseason. Could be that Marrone saw wanted he watned to see in weeks 1 and 2 and sid, OK, that's enough, to offset any further film prep he may want to give the Patriots for week 1. Yes EJ had to have some minor procesdure, but I am of the mid set that off setting any further film is why he has parked EJ as well.

Question to you all - what do you think of Dareus? Are we seeing a #3 overall talent yet?

On the radio, they said it appeared they were trying to just line up and play...perhaps to see what would happen? Or how players are without having to scheme them up? Either way it didn't work and they got mauled by a 3rd string QB and White, a guy pulled off the street a few weeks ago...pathetic

shows are talent is weak (thanks buddy) but with Pettine working his magic we should be alright.

Looked like Wannestedts crew, clueless against zone read.

Talent or coaching?

I think its possible that they didn't want to show more than they already have. Maintain an element of surprise. But I was very shocked to see the D-line get bullied around and the defense look very much like last years defense often letting the offense attack it. Hope I am right that it was just a vanilla look.