Nice attacking Defense.

tedstrong

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hughes will not be cut, but gosh, after todays game you just have to scratch your head. I have to think scheme did this today.

The packages of the personel was nothing but base, for one. A few times did I recognize nickel. I watched a lot of the CB's and how the Skins O worked - so I did not pay very close attention.

The blitzes were gimmes clear reads from the outside LB's.

Let me digest this some - because I am thinking today was a practice. A chance to see what happens if we leave base defense in and run some of Pettines schemes and coverages without adapted personel. This might be important because NE may bring out a no huddle offense - I would. It would keep us from subbing. They did this against the NJ Jets last year.

This base defense stuff just seems like an excuse for a poor performance.

Maybe I'm wrong though.

I'm really not worried. I'm not sure how many times I saw our defensive ends just contain. They did blitz a bit, but it was by far not the same pressure packages they used the last few weeks. I also noticed they used this as an opportunity to try a lot of back ups with the first team. I noticed Ross on the field a ton. Corners were rotated a lot as well. We got out played, but we shouldn't be bashing them for one performance, after hoisting them up after two. The offense wasn't much help either. They put the defense back out on the field quick. Not many first downs. One game, and it counts as much as the last two.

Clueless, pathetic and wimps. That is what I saw on the field today for our D. Is this what is going to happen when the regular season starts?

step away from the ledge.....

This base defense stuff just seems like an excuse for a poor performance.

Maybe I'm wrong though.

it was a poor performance, but why does it have to be an excuse. It's preseason. It actually IS practice. If it happens week one, its a big deal, but I'm not ready to put a fork in a young team for being out played by a playoff team in preseason.

me digest this some - because I am thinking today was a practice. A chance to see what happens if we leave base defense in and run some of Pettines schemes and coverages without adapted personel. This might be important because NE may bring out a no huddle offense - I would. It would keep us from subbing. They did this against the NJ Jets last year.

Isn't the 3rd preseason game a dress rehearsal of sorts? Starters playing the first half and beyond? Shanahan could have thought were not going to let the Bills bowl us over like their first 2 games when teams actually do play like it's a practice.

Plenty of crap on the field today and first place goes to the front 7. 2nd place the corners and safeties. What a pathetic defensive showing. The offense also did their share. I did notice Legursky is now playing with the scrubs. Who's the LT this year? Hell, who's the second corner? Then we got who are the recievers? This was a poor outing, and the Bills were manhandled by a 3rd and 4th string QB's. I'm not buying the practice thing.

Last 2 weeks the mantra here was "Marrone is instilling a new culture". Today they were practicing. just my 2 cents on the outing.

Alright, digestion is still occuring, but I am coming back to this...

Shannahan was at home today and his best two QB's were out of the game. Shannahan brought his defense to play and simply overloaded the Bills offense on every front. They dared us to throw and that is what everyone knew - we can't throw. We have two QB's today who are both untested on the long ball, perhaps incapable. The Redskins D played cover 2 for a lot of the game. I want to know what happened to our WR's, btw.

Ok, so our D - crap. I am just not sure. They played humdrum. I swore at times I sw some players going through the motions.

He also had a sack and another QB pressure. He has been good in his other games and in practice too. He is learning his 3rd defensive in 3 years too, dont forget that. He isnt going to master it all. Considering what we got him for, he has been a steal up to this point. Mario Williams, Dareus, and Kyle are all more likely to get doubled before Jerry. He has an opportunity to really get lose here and rush the QB, and so far, I think hes done a pretty good job

agree with AlphaDawg. We dumped a poor NFL LB and got a good one in return. If you don't think Hughes is getting 8 plus sacks this year you arent watching

Let me digest this some - because I am thinking today was a practice. A chance to see what happens if we leave base defense in and run some of Pettines schemes and coverages without adapted personel. This might be important because NE may bring out a no huddle offense - I would. It would keep us from subbing. They did this against the NJ Jets last year.

I think they dialed things down to see what players knew/were able to get into what ever position they needed to get into based on the play called for the D. That is important for the coaching staff to see, especially with cut downs coming up. The last 2 games we played aggressively, today they dialed it back to see if we could just line up and play. You also bring up a good point as to why it is important to do such.

Shanny definitely brought the offense & Defense today, without his top 2 QBs, playing at home; he wanted to set the right tone for his team and fan base for heading into this season.

Actually, on the big runs it was too much attacking. People like Bradham, Hughes and Bryant have to keep the edge safe. They were overpursuing and taking themselves out of the play. Bradham looked horrific. Anyone want to keep arguing trying to enjoy a marijuana habit has no impact on the football field?

Actually, on the big runs it was too much attacking. People like Bradham, Hughes and Bryant have to keep the edge safe. They were overpursuing and taking themselves out of the play. Bradham looked horrific. Anyone want to keep arguing trying to enjoy a marijuana habit has no impact on the football field?

so, his pot smoking made the whole defense look bad? He wasn't the only person out of position, and playing poorly. Edited by JaxBills

Bills offense and defense need to work together. When our defense is not effective offense needs to stop with hurry up and just make some first downs even if they are not scoring so defense has a chance to rest or adjust scheme.

Oh, wait, this is sarcasm. Very clever.

And, ya know what... this is what bugs me. Instead of just flaming this, let me offer this.

Your post comes out as "waa waa waa. waa waa waa"

It would be much better if it said something like: It was hard to watch this defense perform today. The blitzes were not penatrating with 5 men rushing and when they did the entire midsection of the defense was left to be gutted. Bradham was in every way stinking up the field being out of position, late to the target or slow to reaction. The safety combo seemed in over their head and could not make propper reads.

That would be a worthwhile thread.

Nice catch on the sarcasm of the TITLE of the thread. The text of the thread addressed more concisely that on which you elaborated. My statements remain true.

Excuse me for reacting at the final gun with a little passion. I believe this is an open forum for fans, not necessarily forum professionals, versed on protocol.

Upon reflection, I agree. This may have been a glitch, a hiccup, or a calculated attempt to see how our players perform in a basic construct.

My initial reaction was based on too many years of getting abused by the rest of the league as our linemen stood up at the line of scrimmage, our linebackers misread gap control, and our defensive backs laid off and reacted..

(proper)

The highs were too high, the lows currently too low. They are trying things out and seeing who does what well. We are a decent, not great team that will run and bit hot and cold this year. Just like I said the last two weeks, ill say again - it's preseason.

The highs were too high, the lows currently too low. They are trying things out and seeing who does what well. We are a decent, not great team that will run and bit hot and cold this year. Just like I said the last two weeks, ill say again - it's preseason.

Def looked like an experimental night. I am not so much worried about the play as much as injuries, even though they appear to be minor. I am hoping for the best, and can't wait to see how we look in the opener. And hopefully EJ gets the start

Even if Byrd was playing and Pettine drew up an actual regular season game plan and the players showed up to play (not going through the motions) like it was the playoffs, I think they would've got smoked badly with RG3 in as QB.